Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Carl pei left OnePlus and founded Nothing and they are launching a new Android phone called Phone 1 on July 12th.

It looks interesting to me and worth a look in the crowed Android phone space. The phone is supposed to be transparent.

287498361_1668350626863045_8721172055959845497_n.jpg

Reactions: Tig Bitties

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
IMHO, Just another OPPO ODM like OnePlus.
Android phones are a dime a dozen nowadays, with BBK itself having 4 worldwide brands already (Oppo, Vivo, OnePlus, Realme).

And I'm guessing Nothing will be folded into Oppo in a few years once it took off. Same old story.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
IMHO, Just another OPPO ODM like OnePlus.
Android phones are a dime a dozen nowadays, with BBK itself having 4 worldwide brands already (Oppo, Vivo, OnePlus, Realme).

And I'm guessing Nothing will be folded into Oppo in a few years once it took off. Same old story.
I am ok with everything you wrote.....lets see how they differentiate themselves from all the others.
It they have a killer camera and nice software features then it might be worth a look.
Maybe they will have a killer camera or great facial unlock. Not sure but still worth a look when it comes out and reviewers get their hands on one.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I am ok with everything you wrote.....lets see how they differentiate themselves from all the others.
It they have a killer camera and nice software features then it might be worth a look.
Maybe they will have a killer camera or great facial unlock. Not sure but still worth a look when it comes out and reviewers get their hands on one.

I'm open minded, if the phone runs a near stock Android type OS, has great battery life, fluid smooth operation and great camera, is priced cheaper than the competition, that's all I want.

But there's also the Essential 2 phone coming soon too. I forgot the name of this upcoming phone, but thought was supposed to be officially revealed this Summer.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It might be hard to push the camera feature out of nowhere. Other BBK brands have partnered with camera brands (Oppo and OnePlus with Hasselblad, Vivo with Zeiss). Leica is already in bed with Xiaomi. Of course, if Nothing managed to feature Hasselblad or Zeiss, then we know it's just another BBK subsidiary... :D

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

• Sad
Reactions: 5105973

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I'm kind of interested on this device. Thinking I'll probably end up missing out though. Aren't they only making 100 and auctioning them off?

Need something besides Google, Sammy and apple. (I do realize there are a few others out there but not interested in those and may not be available without importing).

Reactions: jamezr

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'm kind of interested on this device. Thinking I'll probably end up missing out though. Aren't they only making 100 and auctioning them off?

Need something besides Google, Sammy and apple. (I do realize there are a few others out there but not interested in those and may not be available without importing).
Same strategy as OnePlus originally. Create scarcity through lottery or auction or whatever, and create hype and cult following. It’s the same dude. In a few years, it shall return to the mothership Oppo.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US

I am looking forward to seeing what it has to offer. I really liked the way you can customize the LED lights through the software. Different colors for contacts and different apps. It reminds me of the old Samsung days in the past when you could tell what the notification was just by the color of flashing LED light.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I am looking forward to seeing what it has to offer. I really liked the way you can customize the LED lights through the software. Different colors for contacts and different apps. It reminds me of the old Samsung days in the past when you could tell what the notification was just by the color of flashing LED light.
I like someone doing something different than the cut and paste designs from everyone else but are the LEDs actually genuinely useful?

First, why put your phone screen side down? That’s just an invitation for scratches. Second, what makes the LED patterns, etc more useful than the information that AOD screens can show or what I can get after a quick tap to wake my screen? Third, what about case use? Going to limit one’s options. I realize this is a personal issue but I’d never remember what pattern I’d attached to a specific notification—I never remembered what color LED blink I’d associated with a specific notification on my old Android phones. This seems no different.

Again, I like seeing someone put a bit of fun into a smartphone but it seems really gimmicky, something not actually solving a problem. Like you said, reminds me of the old LED notification lights but there’s a reason nobody uses them anymore.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I like someone doing something different than the cut and paste designs from everyone else but are the LEDs actually genuinely useful?

First, why put your phone screen side down? That’s just an invitation for scratches. Second, what makes the LED patterns, etc more useful than the information that AOD screens can show or what I can get after a quick tap to wake my screen? Third, what about case use? Going to limit one’s options. I realize this is a personal issue but I’d never remember what pattern I’d attached to a specific notification—I never remembered what color LED blink I’d associated with a specific notification on my old Android phones. This seems no different.

Again, I like seeing someone put a bit of fun into a smartphone but it seems really gimmicky, something not actually solving a problem. Like you said, reminds me of the old LED notification lights but there’s a reason nobody uses them anymore.
Some of us have multiple phones and get just about every new phone released. Soemtimes somthing like LED lights on the back and used the way they were demoed in the video has a certain wow factor that differentiates it from other phones.
I mean after a while phones are just boring......i mean they all have similar if not the same features and useaage. They make calls and text and can tell you how to get somewhere. You can get your email and social media. If that is your needs then any phone will work.

So why do they need to provide anything else then? Its comes down to personal preferences and features sets.
I mean AOD is very useful IMHO when your phone is face up. But i also know people that put there phones face down or have pop socket case on their phones that make it impossible to put face up. Same thing for epopel that have designs on the back of their cases.......they want to disaply them and put their phones face down.

Personally...I would love love to see LED notification lights on phones. Then to be able to customise them in anyway I want.
I would love to be able to see a blue blinking LED light that tells me I have a text from my son. I know I should look at that now. Or a green blink light that says its from an unlnown person and it can wait.

I would find it useful to see a certain part of my phone light up (like in the demo) to tell me it is an email...but not just any email...but a email from a family member. Not just junk mail. Imagine if you could color code the LED lights based on contact prefernces.

I am sitting in my home office conducting audio only or video meetings and have my personal phone on silent.
It would be a great benefit to me in my usecases to be able to differeniate what kind of notification was on my phone.
Blue blinking light....text from my son. That is a priority notification. Blinking yellow email...no big deal. Blinking green text from my girlfriend....that one I better get if I know what is good for me LOL
In my eyes the blink LED lights are more helpful than AOD.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Needs a Neon option, like the kids put on the bottom of their Scion golf carts. I mean cars, when they go hot rodding on Saturday nights.

Quote the raven: What a gimmick.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Same strategy as OnePlus originally. Create scarcity through lottery or auction or whatever, and create hype and cult following. It’s the same dude. In a few years, it shall return to the mothership Oppo.
Towards the end of the video, that's what the guy eluded to. This phone to me is 90% marketing.

Reactions: tbayrgs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.