Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Not impressed in the slightest. The one unique aspect of this phone can’t actually be customized? So basically it’s just a giant, basic notification light that give no granular control to define different notification types? Yeah, let’s risk damaging the display by putting my screen face down and skip using the far more functional AOD or even just lock screen notifications so I can have a giant flashing LED.

I’d rather have a much better camera and likely equal or possibly better user experience from a Pixel 6a for the same price.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not impressed in the slightest. The one unique aspect of this phone can’t actually be customized? So basically it’s just a giant, basic notification light that give no granular control to define different notification types? Yeah, let’s risk damaging the display by putting my screen face down and skip using the far more functional AOD or even just lock screen notifications so I can have a giant flashing LED.

I’d rather have a much better camera and likely equal or possibly better user experience from a Pixel 6a for the same price.

i have to agree with you now. If you can't customise the phones most distinguishing feature...then it really is all about nothing after all :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
i have to agree with you now. If you can't customise the phones most distinguishing feature...then it really is all about nothing after all :)
It may come later, but I wouldn’t buy any product from any company on the promise that a feature or fix may come later. Really don’t see the appeal of this phone vs. other proven midrange phones from Google or Samsung, amongst others.

Last edited:
Reactions: ian87w and MarkX

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Slap a case on this phone ( not transparent as those yellow and get gross ), and the main gimmick goes away.
And you still end up with an overpriced mid-range Android phone that runs the same apps as dozens other cheaper Android phones. And for such new company, you cannot bet on their promised warranty and software support. Those things can only be proven years down the road.

Might as well get a Samsung, with proven track record of support establishments, at the least.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Hmm I think y'all are doing too much to drag this phone!
I personally like it!
For the price £399, you're getting an OLED display, 120hz refresh rate, decent camera (main), a very good haptic motor (so I hear), a VERY nice design, wireless and reverse wireless charging and pretty much stock Android.

I don't know what is not to like. Any other brand doing phones at this price are cutting corners somewhere. A Samsung at this price point? No thanks, although I'm not one fof a Samsung at any price point unless it folds.

I think it's great to have some new blood in the smart phone space. They may not get it right first time but what company does? At least it's competition in an otherwise very stagnant current market.

I'm tempted to give one a shot!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hmm I think y'all are doing too much to drag this phone!
I personally like it!
For the price £399, you're getting an OLED display, 120hz refresh rate, decent camera (main), a very good haptic motor (so I hear), a VERY nice design, wireless and reverse wireless charging and pretty much stock Android.

I don't know what is not to like. Any other brand doing phones at this price are cutting corners somewhere. A Samsung at this price point? No thanks, although I'm not one fof a Samsung at any price point unless it folds.

I think it's great to have some new blood in the smart phone space. They may not get it right first time but what company does? At least it's competition in an otherwise very stagnant current market.

I'm tempted to give one a shot!
Samsung at this price point? Samsung offers more for the money. Samsung actually offers a similar spec for less. Galaxy A52s is around $300, complete with 120Hz AMOLED and better water proofing (IP67). If you must spend the same price as the Nothing phone, you can get the A73, which has larger screen, 256GB storage, and 108MP camera. Or for $50 more, you can go to the S21 FE for a real flagship experience.

From old friends of Carl Pei, there's Vivo T1 Pro 5G, also SD778, $300. That might be what Carl was targeting with the Nothing phone, adding 120Hz and IP53, and bump up the price.

Still, it makes the Galaxy A52s an even better deal.

Reactions: tbayrgs and MarkX

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Samsung at this price point? Samsung offers more for the money. Samsung actually offers a similar spec for less. Galaxy A52s is around $300, complete with 120Hz AMOLED and better water proofing (IP67). If you must spend the same price as the Nothing phone, you can get the A73, which has larger screen, 256GB storage, and 108MP camera. Or for $50 more, you can go to the S21 FE for a real flagship experience.

From old friends of Carl Pei, there's Vivo T1 Pro 5G, also SD778, $300. That might be what Carl was targeting with the Nothing phone, adding 120Hz and IP53, and bump up the price.

Still, it makes the Galaxy A52s an even better deal.

Yeah not a bad deal. If you want a Samsung. Or a Vivo phone. But as someone who prefers stock Android, I wouldn't likely go near either options.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
This thing looks terrible and gimmicky.

But i hope them the best, more competition spurs more innovation.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'm confused. Isn't the 'Nothing Phone' supposed to be a blank shell that looks like a phone but does, well, nothing? I remember something similar a few years ago that was meant to detox from smartphone addiction and they even had dummy earbuds as well? It was meant to be carried instead of a phone to make you feel like you have your phone but it did nothing at all; a blank shell.

So they're making an actual phone now with the same name?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.