Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v1nsai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Like the title says, is there any way to make notification center default to the widgets screen instead of, well, notifications? I liked that a lot more in iOS 9.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Like the title says, is there any way to make notification center default to the widgets screen instead of, well, notifications? I liked that a lot more in iOS 9.

No, I don't believe so. In the style of control centre perhaps it would make sense if it just came down where you left it last. It'd be consistent at least.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
I have been also in search couple days but have not found a way for this, really would like to see the widgets when swiping down

Reactions: jagooch

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
It now defaults to Today and you have to swipe left every time. However, you can swip left from your lock screen and get to it, not much of a consolation I know.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
For heavy widget users such as myself, I'm really disappointed by this change. I'm having to swipe a lot more to get to them which is unfortunate. I know a few widget app developers that are none too pleased about this change the as well.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I use Launcher app, in iOS 10, especially with the new restrictions to settings.app, .. it's useless. I uninstalled it. It's more actions to go to the screen now it seems. Much clutter!

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Yeah I've become friendly-ish with the developer of Magic Launcher and I think he's really concerned about this. Which sucks, because if people stop buying these apps, the developers are going to stop making them :(

I use Launcher app, in iOS 10, especially with the new restrictions to settings.app, .. it's useless. I uninstalled it. It's more actions to go to the screen now it seems. Much clutter!

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Yeah I've become friendly-ish with the developer of Magic Launcher and I think he's really concerned about this. Which sucks, because if people stop buying these apps, the developers are going to stop making them :(
It is a typical Apple move. Something is done right, they put the feature in their OS, and then prevent others from using it. 3d-touch on an app as shortcut to whatever is inside it, no more need for other apps - so lets just take away that one thing ppl get that app for. quick access, and settings panels.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
I'm dying here. I swipe down twenty times a day to get battery levels for the iPad and Pencil. Now I get a blank screen with Notifications. This is bad.
[doublepost=1474143314][/doublepost]Please submit feedback, folks, at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Feel free to use my text:

With iOS 10, when a user with an iPad swipes down, they get the Notifications Screen, even if there are none. Users have lost the ability to immediately see their Widgets screen; many of this miss that. The whole point of Widgets is to be able to see them immediately with a single gesture. If the user has to swipe down, and then swipe left, it defeats the purpose of the Widgets feature.

Please make a change to this UI or at least provide us with an option in Preferences.

In a truly elegant way of managing this, you could let the user set for a certain preference and/or allow context to override when necessary.

For example, let the user state "my preference is to see notifications if I have them; if none exist, show me my widgets"; but also, of course, allow the user to set their Preferences to ALWAYS see Notifications first or ALWAYS see Widgets first.

Reactions: jagooch and iamPro

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It now defaults to Today and you have to swipe left every time. However, you can swip left from your lock screen and get to it, not much of a consolation I know.
My guess is that's the reason why it's like that now--they want Notification Center to be mainly for notifications but added the Today/widget screen there to be compatible with users coming from earlier iOS versions that are used to it, but they would really like users to switch over and use the Today/widgets screen by swiping to the left from the home screen instead.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
For sure it's what *Apple* wants. But it definitely makes accessing them more difficult, which can result in less use :(

My guess is that's the reason why it's like that now--they want Notification Center to be mainly for notifications but added the Today/widget screen there to be compatible with users coming from earlier iOS versions that are used to it, but they would really like users to switch over and use the Today/widgets screen by swiping to the left from the home screen instead.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn

I rarely need it from the Lock screen—because the iPad is so awesome I'm using it all the time. That's why I need it available when I'm using the device. How can they not recognize that some of us value widgets as much or more than notifications? There are hardly any settings for controlling these preferences.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For sure it's what *Apple* wants. But it definitely makes accessing them more difficult, which can result in less use :(
Potentially, for those that are coming from earlier iOS versions used to a particular way. But most will essentially "retrain" themselves to use it differently (to use the screen on the left of the home screen) and new users will likely use it that way too.

If I recall correctly I think Apple didn't even have the Today/widgets screen in Notification Center in earlier betas, just to the left of the home screen, and only added it back in a bit into the beta cycle (perhaps to appease those who are used to it being there, at last during this first iOS version where they kind of redesigned things to make it all available from the left of the home screen).
[doublepost=1474144273][/doublepost]
I rarely need it from the Lock screen—because the iPad is so awesome I'm using it all the time. That's why I need it available when I'm using the device. How can they not recognize that some of us value widgets as much or more than notifications? There are hardly any preferences for controlling these preferences.
Well, they still have it available, and now even in more places beyond Notification Center. The only thing that changed is that it doesn't remember the last "tab" you were on in Notification Center. Perhaps because this was added back in as more of an afterthought, perhaps it's just a bug/glitch of some sort. We'll have to see.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Widgets are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Why are they not getting this.
I think they are to some degree making them now available on that screen that is to the left of home, which actually makes them more discoverable/visible to more people (since there are quite a few that don't even bother with Notification Center). But there are certainly some improvements they can make to it all.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
There should be a switch giving user more control if they want to view widgets or notifications. Hope it's fixed getting annoying

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Agreed, but unlikely to happen. Until iOS 11 when Apple introduces that as an amazing new feature ;)

There should be a switch giving user more control if they want to view widgets or notifications. Hope it's fixed getting annoying

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Agreed, but unlikely to happen. Until iOS 11 when Apple introduces that as an amazing new feature ;)
Or just does away with Today/widget screen from the Notification Center completely leaving it only to the left of the home screen.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Potentially, for those that are coming from earlier iOS versions used to a particular way. But most will essentially "retrain" themselves to use it differently (to use the screen on the left of the home screen) and new users will likely use it that way too.

If I recall correctly I think Apple didn't even have the Today/widgets screen in Notification Center in earlier betas, just to the left of the home screen, and only added it back in a bit into the beta cycle (perhaps to appease those who are used to it being there, at last during this first iOS version where they kind of redesigned things to make it all available from the left of the home screen).
[doublepost=1474144273][/doublepost]
Well, they still have it available, and now even in more places beyond Notification Center. The only thing that changed is that it doesn't remember the last "tab" you were on in Notification Center. Perhaps because this was added back in as more of an afterthought, perhaps it's just a bug/glitch of some sort. We'll have to see.
The Today view was always there. What they did was enable access from the NC while on the home screen.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Had to ask if anyone found a solution for when you swipe down from the top of the screen... Notification Center used to be widgets first. Now it bring a up my lengthy list of recent notifications and then I have to swipe to go left to Widgets. I have Wink lights that are super easy as Widgets but the extra step to pass Recents which I never look at is annoying. Any way to go to Widgets first, instead of seeing Recents every time?

Last edited:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I use Cesium for music rating and they've recently released a very nice NC widget. Unfortunately, I've found no way around this perplexing change in behavior.

Submit feedback is all I can say.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Yeah this new behavior sucks. I could care less about my list of notifications most of the time. I liked how pre ios10 NC had persistence... meaning it would stay where you put it. I submitted feedback about this with each beta thinking it was a bug... but apparently it wasn't... what's odd is that Control Center does have Persistence. I guess apple thinks that the main purpose of NC should be notifications. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.