Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Volume still screwy in 14.4. Feedback logged for months - Apple closed one saying "working as expected". I decided their expectations are way lower than mine, so re-logged it. It's been ignored so far.

Issue is slightly different though - sometimes the alert/ringer volume gets changed to match the media playback volume. Sometimes alerts come in silently. Sometimes they come in loud. It's still a mess.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Any update on a fix for this issue?? it is pretty irritating. Everytime the phone connects and then disconnects to a bluetooth device like a headset or in-ear pods, the ringer volume resets to max. ?
same here, on the latest beta (13january); frustrating, i usually keep my ring at about 40%, so 100% is pretty terrifying...

Msoulz

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2021
Michigan
I have what I think is the same problem. If there is an app open when a reminder pops up it is extremely loud. Seems iOS 14 started the problem on my iPhone 7 and it remains on my iPhone 12 pro.

DaleW

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
same here, on the latest beta (13january); frustrating, i usually keep my ring at about 40%, so 100% is pretty terrifying...
I'm now also on the beta. Still seeing the problem.

Have you reported it as an issue using the "Feedback" app? If not, please do!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm now also on the beta. Still seeing the problem.

Have you reported it as an issue using the "Feedback" app? If not, please do!
i have reported it. however... here, on the latest beta, the problem is fixed. odd that you're seeing it now. must have something to do with specific bluetooth devices. (i have the soundware liberty pros)...

f12003_ga

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2015
Australia
Way too low compared to my my wife’s iPhone 11. I have a 12 pro!
I’m running iOS 14.4 beta and updates haven’t fixed anything to make my notification sound louder.

XTFozz

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
Happening to me as well. Not just with notifications either. Keyboard clicks wildly fluctuate from near silent to obnoxiously loud. The lock sound is also much louder than anticipated, and now when I have AirPods in the key clicks and lock sounds are so loud that I’d rather just not have the AirPods in.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
No way! I noticed some things (can't remember what) were louder than they should be!

I'm not alone! haha

It wasn't too disturbing to worry about it, personally, but I'm glad to know it's a bug! Thanks!

gigilarsen

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2021
I've noticed this issue when I go to swipe up to get rid of a notification banner, it makes the notification sound 10x louder; this has been particularly annoying with my Ring doorbell! iPhone 12 pro max here running 14.4

DaleW

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Latest beta still has the problem on iPhone X.

Few days ago, some quiet music playing and a message notification at full volume scared the **** out of us. Literally jumped.

Unacceptable and really disappointing. Such a fundamental part of the phone use.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Notifications also kill the volume of any current FaceTime call for a few seconds. I'm staring at the phone; I can see the notifications. I don't need the sound at full volume while you mute my call for a few seconds during and afterwards.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I get this from time to time. Mostly the sound is way too low on my end. Last night a text message came in and it literally startled me because it was freakishly loud. I don't have a happy medium of "dings" - sounds coming into my phone for whatever reason. Been like this from day 1

gtmead09

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2016
I have this as well, it seems if I get a msg notification that goes off while I happen to be touching the screen then it happens.

conundrumz

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Arizona
I also have this issue. When I'm using my iPhone XR (v14.4) and doing most anything with it, if there is a notification drop down and I touch to slide it up the sound goes VERY loud. This has been happening since version 14.x as far as I can remember. Very annoying.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
I’ve been having this issue intermittently ever since upgrading to iOS 14 on my iPhone X. Sent feedback to Apple. It isn’t triggered by Airplay in my case. I thought it only happened while I received a notification while switching apps, but now it happens seemingly randomly. The Ringer and Alerts slider is almost all the way to the left, so in theory they should always be quiet. I had turned up the media volume earlier to listen to a podcast via the speaker, so it seems it raises the volume of everything... disabled the “change with buttons” setting and will see if that fixes it.

melodramie

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2021
Since updating to iOS 14, I've noticed the text notification sound is way too loud and does not correspond to the volume slider in Sounds & Haptics. I literally have no control over it. I can move the slider all the way to the left (off) and still notification dings are way too loud. Regardless of what position the slider is in they always play at the same loud volume. I did a full erase and reset of my iPhone but it didn't help. Anyone else seeing this?

I tried toggling Change with Buttons but it made no difference.
I’m having the same problem. Apps like Messages, WhatsApp and Alarmed for example. I have just logged it with Apple feedback. Are you still having this problem?

melodramie

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2021
Since updating to iOS 14, I've noticed the text notification sound is way too loud and does not correspond to the volume slider in Sounds & Haptics. I literally have no control over it. I can move the slider all the way to the left (off) and still notification dings are way too loud. Regardless of what position the slider is in they always play at the same loud volume. I did a full erase and reset of my iPhone but it didn't help. Anyone else seeing this?

I tried toggling Change with Buttons but it made no difference.
I’m having the same problem - iOS 14.4. Apps like Messages, WhatsApp and Alarmed for example. I have just logged it with Apple feedback. Are you still having this problem

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
In Sounds and Haptics settings, I have the slider mostly to the left for Ringer and Alerts.

Since the first iOS 14, every time I disconnect (turn off) my Beats X earphones, that slider moves to exactly half way and I have to remember to change it otherwise the next time I get a phone call/notification the whole street hears it (slight exaggeration, but it’s louder than I want or need)!

(Reported in Feedback.)

Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Volume issues (ringer & alerts randomly changing to match the media playback volume) has been an issue for months. This along with notifications regularly ignoring either setting and coming in at full volume or totally silently.

It's not surprising Apple has ignored all the Feedbacks or given up trying to fix it; a phone playing alerts is obviously at the bleeding edge of mobile technology. ( /s to stop a thread full of people having a go at me for being a luddite, and another bunch of posts pointing out that I might have been a tad sarky.)

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have sort of the opposite issue - when my iPHone is connected via bluetooth to, for instance, my car system, it moves the ringer volume all the way to the end - off. I have to move it back using the side buttons when I leave the car. Happens with other bluetooth connections also

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.