Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm on 14.4 12Pro Max, and it still happens. It's been happening since earlier OS versions and iPhone X for me. I'm not sure what affects it either, is it iOS, or ... it's all normal, and then I open YouTube, Imgur or any other app with some sort of volume control and then notifications volume "goes up". Reset, restored, gave it a mean stare, tossed against the wall ... nothing seems to help.

I-AngryPhone

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2021
Iphone 11 Pro IOS 14.4.1

- My alarm clock literally cannot go quiet enough for me to avoid a heart attack when waking up (i have to use a third party app). The volume is FAR louder than my ringtone. I mean. Substantially.I have the same song.
- When I disconnect a glucose device from my bluetooth, an alarm comes up saying blingblingbling. If I reactivate bluetooth before the 3blings are done, the remaingin 'blings' will go BLING BLING. Distorted sound, max volume. So clearly something is up with IOS or Iphone volume stuff.
- The whatsapp camera shutter is piercing my ears. I cannot use this.I am not exagarating (though the sound haptic toggle made it more quiet)
- The ringer settings do not always take effect
-I have had times when 'change with buttons' is disabled and I have managed to turn down all kinds of sounds. including the IOS Camera shutter, which supposedly can only be turned off when enabling 'live' photos. sooo...there is close to nothing right about the volume situation with this Iphone.

I am angry at what 1000€ has bought me. Am desperate for suggestions.

I-AngryPhone

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2021
It's getting much better as the 14.5 betas come out so hopefully most, or all, of your issues will go away once 14.5 is released.
Ohmate, you have no idea how nice it is to hear encouragement in this ordeal. I am really hoping, nay praying, you are right. Apple is astonishing me in all the wrong ways

Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Ohmate, you have no idea how nice it is to hear encouragement in this ordeal. I am really hoping, nay praying, you are right. Apple is astonishing me in all the wrong ways
If you were desperate, you could take a backup of your phone, enroll and download the latest 14.5 public beta, and give it a whirl. If you've never run an iOS beta before it's sensible to just wait, but if you're desperate then sensible doesn't come into it :)

I-AngryPhone

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2021
If you were desperate, you could take a backup of your phone, enroll and download the latest 14.5 public beta, and give it a whirl. If you've never run an iOS beta before it's sensible to just wait, but if you're desperate then sensible doesn't come into it :)
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I am so angry I will look into it. Since I am about to reset this MF anyway I might as well try something like that.

Reactions: adrianlondon

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
FWIW, the problem did not go away when disabling Change with Buttons in 14.4.1. Still got freakishly loud notifications - the trigger for me still seems to be if I have any sort of system dialog or sheet / drawer active, like a keyboard, using 3D Touch, or being in the middle of switching apps by sliding upwards to enable the stacked card view, when a notification arrives.

Just updated to 14.4.2 so fingers crossed...

DaleW

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I am so angry I will look into it. Since I am about to reset this MF anyway I might as well try something like that.
Problem still exists on latest beta. However, if you do load the beta you can provide feedback on it. I regularly add to my initial report.

AgRacer

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
Activate SIRI, and when she starts talking, lower the volume with the volume buttons on the side of the phone.

gbavero

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2021
I picked up my iPad Air 4 two weeks ago and the alert sounds that are much lower then my iPad Mini 5, which are definitely surrounding the text and email alerts.
If I turn the sounds up where you are supposed to from the settings and sound area of the pad, the ring is quite loud when a call comes in though which is not what I want.
Sounds from watching YouTube videos, Netflix or just plain music is fine.

13paul13

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2019
In Sounds and Haptics settings, I have the slider mostly to the left for Ringer and Alerts.

Since the first iOS 14, every time I disconnect (turn off) my Beats X earphones, that slider moves to exactly half way and I have to remember to change it otherwise the next time I get a phone call/notification the whole street hears it (slight exaggeration, but it’s louder than I want or need)!

(Reported in Feedback.)
14.5 appears to have fixed this. I’ve connected to my Beats X earphones a couple of times over the last couple of days and it doesn’t affect the Ringer and Alerts volume slider anymore ?.

Reactions: jaggunothing

jasmine84

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Toronto ON
Hello from Dec 2021. Having this issue. Didn’t with Apple Music, but since changing to Spotify, when playing through my HomePod by phone notifications are on max sound and it’s AWFUL. Latest of iOS 15 running.

Conscience1

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2021
London
I’ve had the system sound loudness when playing audio using Airplay 2 (doesn’t happen with Airplay 1) since it was released. Have jumped through all the apple support hoops, they seemed unaware of the issue, and could offer no advice. I’m guessing that not ‘enough’ people are suffering from the bug to really care about it at this point. No fix as of iOS 15.1.1.

Reactions: ckeck

appleaid

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
Hello from 2022.

Here's what worked for me:

1. Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Slider to far left (not to 'off' position) and Change with Buttons to 'On'
2. Open Messages app, swipe down from top-right corner and adjust volume.

The notifications from Messages, WhatsApp, and other apps are now at an acceptable volume. Any previous attempts to do this via settings or volume controls did nothing to lower the notification volume.

iPhone Xs with iOS 15.1

settsu

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2018
Yes, if you searched and were wondering: it's still a thing as of this post with iOS 15.6.1. Have yet to try iOS 16 on my daily driver as I always wait for the x.1 release. (I have had development devices running iOS 16 betas for a while but those never get used with AirPlay and I'm not going to bother testing since it wouldn't change anything.)

It occurs inconsistently. It's not reliably reproducible.

You can go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringer and Alerts, move the slider around, have a notification occur while staring at the slider, and its volume will seemingly completely ignore the slider position. You may experience a deafening blast or you may get a sound at a completely reasonable volume.

None of the supposed solutions/workarounds help, except silencing your phone with the Ring/Silent switch.

Reactions: conundrumz

Xpress

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2006
Chicago
Still happens in iOS 16. Personally I’ve always kept my iPhone volume switched off, using the toggle on the left side, relying on haptics from the phone & Apple Watch. Need a solution for a friend who has it toggled on… can’t find a solution yet…

thepinkrabbit87

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2023
Hello, 2023, iOS 16.2 here.
Bug still happening. Sound management is a huge mess.

I found out what is responsible for the very loud notifications sound:
- swipe down from top right corner
- you will see the slider to tweak the audio
- that slider is… actually inverted. Set it to the lowest, and notifications will destroy your ears. Set it to the max and you won’t hear notifications at all

Cheers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dapsol and ianglash

ianglash

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014

- that slider is… actually inverted. Set it to the lowest, and notifications will destroy your ears. Set it to the max and you won’t hear notifications at all

Cheers.
Thanks. How rubbish is that, but you’ve found the workaround which works for me!

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
Still happening today — on newly-released 16.4.

Hasn’t happened in awhile, and what @thepinkrabbit87 says above is still true — invert the volume, notification sounds are quiet.

Just don’t make the mistake of hitting “play” on any media when inverting the volume to turn down notification sounds, or you’ll blast your ear drums out or wake people up! 😵‍💫

Dapsol

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012

Cheers.

Hah nice find! that's the bug indeed...

> Set it to the max and you won’t hear notifications at all

The problem is, if you play some Safari video or whatever you'll get Maximum volume again. So the "notifications" volume is the exact opposite of the volume when you play video's and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.