Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Bravo!

1. I have an SE2 and the primary difference between it and the 13 mini is screen brightness and facial recognition—and the camera. The 13 mini has a much better camera system than the single lens SE series.

2. That is my most likely option. An iPhone 18.

3. There are 14 Apple devices in our home. Introducing a device with the Google ecosystem is a non-starter.
Are you a follower or a leader? Be a rebel ;)

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Well I got a supposedly "new in box" 13 mini for $499 off eBay to replace my 12 mini. If Apple had any refurbished models I would have went there but I feared the pickings may be slim and nobody seems to have new ones in stock.

Anything I need to look out for to ensure this phone actually is new? Figure check the seals on the box and battery percentage, and check the IMEI is clean? (It's from a 10 year old seller *account with like 10,000+ sales so it looks on the up and up but still want to be sure)

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Anything I need to look out for to ensure this phone actually is new? Figure check the seals on the box and battery percentage, and check the IMEI is clean? (It's from a 10 year old seller with like 10,000+ sales so it looks on the up and up but still want to be sure)
I would be a little concerned as it is likely the 10 year old is being used as a front for a more unsavory gang of operatives.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
apparently Apple was selling new 13 minis Monday but since pulled them from the store, so, I’m not sure if they will sell any refurbished or if they will send those to the carriers, I’m considering eBay refurbished, 1 yr warranty and this one seller says 60 days return policy. I’m scared if I wait too long for apple to sell refurbs it won’t happen and then the 13 minis will be scarce and go up in price. I’m looking for anyone that’s had a good experience with eBay refurbished?

(I’m going from 2020 iPhone SE I bought new when it came out) a while back I had a plus sized iPhone, I liked the bigger screen, but it’s too big in my pocket, I also like to one hand it.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
…the main reason to go with apple refurbished is, well two reasons, new battery & outer case, and apple warranty/AppleCare can be addded.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Well I got a supposedly "new in box" 13 mini for $499 off eBay to replace my 12 mini. If Apple had any refurbished models I would have went there but I feared the pickings may be slim and nobody seems to have new ones in stock.

Anything I need to look out for to ensure this phone actually is new? Figure check the seals on the box and battery percentage, and check the IMEI is clean? (It's from a 10 year old seller *account with like 10,000+ sales so it looks on the up and up but still want to be sure)
after you sign in to your Apple ID on the phone in settings it should tell you how long you have left on the warranty and a place to add AppleCare. Or do you mean before you turn it on?

MiamitoKeyWest

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
Sold DH's 13 Mini (realized it was hard to find when it sold for a crazy price) and although he really needed more screen space in general he has complained a few times about missing the mini size after going to a 14. I'm suprised they don't keep one current solid smaller version that isn't entry level, as it seems there would be enough of a market.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
after you sign in to your Apple ID on the phone in settings it should tell you how long you have left on the warranty and a place to add AppleCare. Or do you mean before you turn it on?

Thanks, yeah just got it and it had 60 days and I realized the phone will tell me if it has non genuine parts. The seal on the box looked slightly tampered with but everything seems like in top shape so I'm 99% sure it's new.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i was pretty happy with the X size though.

and now that the width of the 15 Pro is below that, it will hopefully be fine with me as well.

15 Pro: 146.6 x 70.6 x 8.25 mm
X: 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7

For me it was mostly the combination of the sharp edges and the size increase of the 12 Pro, that made me go to the mini. It was just too uncomfortable to hold. With the rounded edges and smaller width, it might be fine.

With the 16 Pro getting bigger next year, i guess this is my best chance to get a current Phone with all the features at an acceptable size.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I’m hoping the shift to titanium makes the 15 pro more comfortable for me. I tried the 14 pro and ended up back with my mini. I’ll keep my 13 mini for at least a week before deciding.

justinnum1

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Mini here, and iphone 5's before that, giving he max a try. I cant use the regular size with one hand. Got 2 weeks to test it out

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Mini here, and iphone 5's before that, giving he max a try. I cant use the regular size with one hand. Got 2 weeks to test it out

I understand that logic since the pro and max are two handed devices, but the weight of the max in a pocket or gym shorts specifically is what keeps me from using it.

Reactions: bevsb2

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
If you like pink, metro by t-mo has new 128 g (probably locked for ? months)
product red (edit: new), black (edit: new open box only), 128 g at best buy
can't find any more new ones on main sites, (I didn't try all the carriers).

I just don't want to pay that much, going refurbished, waiting just a couple days, scared if apple doesn't drop any the rest will be out of stock or prices going up, people are already jacking up prices for new ones on eBay.

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
When Apple makes the SE gen 4, this problem should be fixed. That phone is rumored to be the same size as the 13 mini.
It would be nice but it is doubtful. The only rumor I have seen/heard to that effect are the hopeful wishes posted on some boards. Not really a viable source, unfortunately 😢

FlyingScot

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
South Florida
Loved my 13 mini, but last few years some things have changed…my eyesight has gotten worse, the tiny keyboard is getting harder to use, I have Apple Watch Ultra I use for cell / basic connectivity when out and about. The battery on the 13 is beginning to become noticeable and I am using the phone more and more for work viewing (emails, documents, presentations, etc.). Cameras is a bit of a miss - I knew that - as I have kids, family and too many times wished for a zoom, better camera, etc.

I decided to go with 15 Pro Max 512. My wife has a 14 Pro and this is only 206 grams vs. 221 grams for IPhone 15 Pro Max. So yeah, basically bigger screen, optical zoom, bigger keyboard for close to same weight as last year’s pro. Looking forward to bigger screen.

Reactions: StudioMacs

wohstihsyrot

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2022
Sticking with my 13 mini with Apple leather case (also no longer available). Just know I'd miss being able to drop it into a pocket and hardly notice it's there, along with that one-hand usage convenience.

I was seriously tempted to move up to a 15 Pro or Max, but having run all the IOS 17 betas on the mini it's still a great platform and even Apple's latest hardware bells and whistles on the 15 pro and max aren't enough to justify coughing up over a grand to lug a more cumbersome chunk of slightly better-featured phone around, so reckon I'm gonna stick with what I have and decide what to do when the battery finally cr*ps the bed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.