Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2023
"How did this become so contentious, with allegations of stubbornness and other character defects?"
Is this in reference to me or my comment? 🧐
Your comment and the comments of others. Perhaps you did not intend it the way it came across. Apologies.

I have experimented with a larger iPhone (8+) and many other gadgets and modalities both great and small. My choices are rarely made in a vacuum.

I can afford many privileges that I choose not to embrace. ‘Nuf said.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I also don’t understand the attacks on those that want a small phone. You don’t see this attitude from iPad Pro users towards the iPad Mini

It’s not like Apple are going to ditch the >6” devices if they release a new Mini

iOS needs to evolve, it needs to dapot trend of bigger screen and offering features that take advantage of big screen. And so far none. It is still the same old each generation of iOS.

Small phones are niche the best, and iPhone is for the messes. Small iPhone is road block for the iOS evolution. Eventually, we will move to even larger iPhone (as rumormed size increase with iPhone 16) or foldable.

Mini iPhone is thing in the past.

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2023
iOS needs to evolve, it needs to dapot trend of bigger screen and offering features that take advantage of big screen. And so far none. It is still the same old each generation of iOS.

Small phones are niche the best, and iPhone is for the messes. Small iPhone is road block for the iOS evolution. Eventually, we will move to even larger iPhone (as rumormed size increase with iPhone 16) or foldable.

1) You're assuming that everyone will want their cellular device to perform the same functions.

2) You're ignoring the trend of making many devices smaller and less massive. Some grow, many others shrink.

3) Just as iOS and iPadOS forked, cellular devices may fork into bigger and smaller with commensurate OSs.

Reactions: Saturn007

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon

Maybe yes, maybe not… just because you and other like big phones, it doesn't mean everyone like them.

Best would be to give options to people to choose from, the same way You can chose between iPad-MBP-MBA sizes.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Maybe yes, maybe not… just because you and other like big phones, it doesn't mean everyone like them.

Best would be to give options to people to choose from, the same way You can chose between iPad-MBP-MBA sizes.
I LOVE options.
That said, Apple apparently doesn't figure that it's worthwhile to offer what appears to be a poorly selling option in the Mini series.
It makes me wonder though, if Apple were to offer a Mini model at a price to make it worthwhile to put back in the line-up, would people be willing to spend enough on it to make it worthwhile for Apple to sell it?
How much would it be worth to you? 🤔

Reactions: AlanMarron

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2023
I LOVE options.
That said, Apple apparently doesn't figure that it's worthwhile to offer what appears to be a poorly selling option in the Mini series.
It makes me wonder though, if Apple were to offer a Mini model at a price to make it worthwhile to put back in the line-up, would people be willing to spend enough on it to make it worthwhile to Apple to sell it?
When all iPhones approach the size of a Pro Max, I wonder if Apple will reintroduce a small, pocketable iPhone? Who knows?

You know—a size that doesn’t fall out of a jacket pocket or create a Spinal Tap bulge in one’s front jeans pocket. 🤣

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
When all iPhones approach the size of a Pro Max, I wonder if Apple will reintroduce a small, pocketable iPhone? Who knows?

You know—a size that doesn’t fall out of a jacket pocket or create a Spinal Tap bulge in one’s front jeans pocket. 🤣
If they figure it will be profitable to sell, they will.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
If they figure it will be profitable to sell, they will.
Actually it is more like, if Apple figures it will be profitable to sell then than not sell them, they will. Unfortunately I think apple came to the conclusion that their customers would not be happy but would ultimately buy a 6.1” screen iPhone instead. Their opinion being the desire to keep using an iPhone will out the desire to switch brands.

I hope Apple’s logic isn’t valid but unfortunately, it appears to be true.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I LOVE options.
It makes me wonder though, if Apple were to offer a Mini model at a price to make it worthwhile to put back in the line-up, would people be willing to spend enough on it to make it worthwhile for Apple to sell it?
How much would it be worth to you? 🤔

If its up to me, it can be part of the regular lineup (non Pro), and should cost less then the 6.1” size.

Reactions: jagfan and Chuckeee

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
1) You're assuming that everyone will want their cellular device to perform the same functions.

Mini iPhone offers subpar experience, cramped user interface, worse typing experience, media experience, gaming experience, subpar battery life, everything are compromised on Mini iPhone.

2) You're ignoring the trend of making many devices smaller and less massive. Some grow, many others shrink.

Some thing makes sense to go small, smartphone is not.

3) Just as iOS and iPadOS forked, cellular devices may fork into bigger and smaller with commensurate OSs.

Like or not, your idea of small phone is not popular enough. There isn't more evident that mini iPhone doesn't sell well and Apple knows

Now option is good. It seems not may users here wants give us options for alternatives apps store, option for sideload, options to repair using third party options.

• Sad
Reactions: lpc2

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
This is a typical result of any of these mini threads:

1. Someone expresses their love for small devices and seeks to chat about it with other small device owners

2. Within 2 posts someone will pop in and say that small phones are stupid, the market only wants to buy big phones, people who like small phones are wrong, you can have choice as long as it agrees with their opinion - big devices.

Seems like this thread fit the mold precisely!

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The good news is that most people are very adaptable, and often find that they have been living in a narrow niche after they try something new. Sometimes they even find advantage in something they thought they wouldn't like.

There's nothing I can do to make my hands bigger, or make a huge phone more comfortable and conforming to my pockets.

There's no way to really "adapt" -- it sucks (if you don't like phones larger than the Minis)

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Mini iPhone offers subpar experience, cramped user interface, worse typing experience, media experience, gaming experience, subpar battery life, everything are compromised on Mini iPhone.
Disagree about everything except battery life, that its obvious bigger iPhones will have bigger battery. That been said, never had issues to finish the day with small phones.

Some thing makes sense to go small, smartphone is not.

Device that I need to carry with me everywhere on a daily basis, no matter where I go or what i wear, I want it to be as small and light as possible and to fit inside pockets comfortably.

Last edited:

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
There's nothing I can do to make my hands bigger, or make a huge phone more comfortable and conforming to my pockets.

There's no way to really "adapt" -- it sucks (if you don't like phones larger than the Minis)
"MOST" people.
I don't consider a Pro model to be huge at all, in fact, I was sold on a 13 mini until I took a serious look at the 13 Pro with all of its advantages over the Mini, and I'm still delighted about the decision to buy the Pro.

• Angry
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
"MOST" people.
I don't consider a Pro model to be huge at all, in fact, I was sold on a 13 mini until I took a serious look at the 13 Pro with all of its advantages over the Mini, and I'm still delighted about the decision to buy the Pro.

I said nothing I CAN DO

goodness gracious.

I was talking about ME

• Love

wohstihsyrot

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2022
Since their non hot-swappable battery design choice, Apple have been accustomed to "leading the way" with decisions based solely on profit.

That they can anticipate in advance how design format affects market share and know trying to please all the people all the time only results in net loss is why Apple have withdrawn the mini format. Nothing to do with user-convenience or iOS needing to "evolve". Is anyone anticipating with dread the day that beta that won't work on their 13 Mini? Nah, me neither.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some Apple employees do enjoy the odd chuckle at some of the internet bickering that goes on in relation to the company's design/marketing decisions though, so I guess threads like this aren't a total waste of time and effort... they just don't register particularly highly on the scales of relevance and pertinence for the most part.

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2023
Since their non hot-swappable battery design choice, Apple have been accustomed to "leading the way" with decisions based solely on profit.

That they can anticipate in advance how design format affects market share and know trying to please all the people all the time only results in net loss is why Apple have withdrawn the mini format. Nothing to do with user-convenience or iOS needing to "evolve". Is anyone anticipating with dread the day that beta that won't work on their 13 Mini? Nah, me neither.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some Apple employees do enjoy the odd chuckle at some of the internet bickering that goes on in relation to the company's design/marketing decisions though, so I guess threads like this aren't a total waste of time and effort... they just don't register particularly highly on the scales of relevance and pertinence for the most part.
I don't dread being unable to update to a ginormous iOS that includes AAPL's version of Chat.GTA. And talking to one's iPhone in public compromises one's privacy.

Yesterday, I removed my 8+ from cold storage to check its battery and do the most recent iOS16 and app updates. iOS16 is fine. The only iOS17 improvement that I use with regularity is the wallpaper options.

The crisis will come when apps no longer support the last available iOS upgrade for the 13 series. That happened with my 5c and early iPad mini.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010

I was forced to switch from my 13 mini to a 15 when my mini died overnight on a trip overseas (the NAND Flash just failed and it’s too expensive to repair because it’s sandwiched between layers of the logic board). I still prefer my 13 mini

Anyway I noticed I have developed new habits:
1. I use the phone 2 handed - holding with my left and pecking on the screen with my right. As a result my usage is more deliberate, I only pull it out if I have to and both hands are available.
2. I instinctively remove my phone from my jeans pocket before sitting otherwise the long size gets in the way particularly when trying to wear shoes or socks

• Wow

wohstihsyrot

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2022
(the NAND Flash just failed and it’s too expensive to repair because it’s sandwiched between layers of the logic board)
Yikes, wonder what did that. Altitude, temperature change or some kind of state brick-maker surveillance hardware?

(Tin hat on and tongue firmly planted in cheek;):D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.