Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
LOL. Comments like this are pure joke… I wonder how you managed to use iPhones few years ago till the giant iPhones showed up?
Not a joke, everybody's experience is different.
I got my first "smart" phone in 2021, a 13 Pro.
At the time I was hot for a 13 mini, but found that I needed a bigger screen for my old eyes to see it effectively.
Having never texted before, I hadn't even thought about the smaller keyboard being too small for my big, clumsy fingers.
As it is, the keyboard on the 13 Pro is a bit too small for me, but workable with a lot of proofreading & corrections.
The 13 mini would have been a disaster for my eyes AND my fingers.
Keep it nice! 🤨

Reactions: Surfsalot

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2023
...and wider, and deeper, for an increase of 32%.

If you had a ring that fit you just right, and it was replaced with one 32% larger, you'd be quite unhappy.
Yes, and the weight -- which matters if one is holding one's iPhone while lying on one's back in bed or at the beach, etc.

Because my farsighted wife uses her iPad.mini until the battery is depleted EVERY DAY, I bought her the cheapest full sized iPad. She rarely uses it because it's heavy.

I started this tread in September and it's still going. I guess we're a tenacious bunch. Like the old timer who keeps rebuilding his VW beetle because HE LIKES IT.

Does there have to be a reason besides I LIKE IT?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
You absolutely right, but the problem starts when they don’t make/offer anymore what I like, iPhone with 5.4-5.8” screen size… :confused:

I think I've become "used to it", sadly

I spent about 6 years on the SE1, which for a large chunk of that time was "discontinued"...
Now I'm on a 13 Mini which has been relegated to the same status.

Will they ever make another iPhone I like?
I don't know

I'm dead serious about trying out a RAZR or some Android foldable ... or anything really, other than just getting a massive iPhone brick. Honestly, the 13 Mini is even just a touch larger than I like or need.

I'm also less happy with iPhone cameras than I can ever recall.
I can't stand whatever over processing they are baking into everything now.
If I have to get some huge phone, I might as well get one of the Android ones with truly amazing, larger lens, cameras and all the flexibility that would come there.

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2023
I'm dead serious about trying out a RAZR or some Android foldable ... or anything really, other than just getting a massive iPhone brick. Honestly, the 13 Mini is even just a touch larger than I like or need.

I'm also less happy with iPhone cameras than I can ever recall.
I can't stand whatever over processing they are baking into everything now.
I'm rather attached to my Apple Watch because of its exercise and heath tracking, and have never protested Apple's "walled garden", so I imagine that when my minis are done-dead, I'll buy the smallest iPhone available. BTW, my wife's SE lives on with our handyman at the beach, having had a battery transplant less than a year ago.

I'm hoping that because the 13 and 14 both have A15 processors, the 13 will have an additional year of useful life. My 8 Plus has an A11 and was just excluded from the latest iOS (iOS17) -- not that I am dissatisfied with iOS16.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Note that the 6.1” iPhones are less than the diameter of a dime taller than the mini.
Counterpoint: if you think it doesn’t make a difference you won’t mind a smaller screen.

I came from a 7 and went to a 13 pro. 2 years in I still don’t like the size as much for my needs.

I also use a 16” MacBook Pro. I 100% appreciate and prefer its larger size size. But I won’t go telling people who’s needs are better served by 12 or 13” laptops that they should adapt to something bigger just because it’s right for me.

People are allowed to have different tastes.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Perhaps I'll regret it, but I bought a new 13.mini at a premium price from the big VAR here in México, so I have a new, unboxed mini!

In Europe, it's not that easy to find a new 13 mini, the few I've found cost as much or more than a new iPhone 15, which is ridiculous price for two and half years old phone. :confused:

So for the time being, i’ll continue using my trusty SE.

Reactions: BostonQuad

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
In Europe, it's not that easy to find a new 13 mini, the few I've found cost as much or more than a new iPhone 15, which is ridiculous price for two and half years old phone. :confused:

So for the time being, i’ll continue using my trusty SE.

In Switzerland some online stores still carry them to the original price and have good stock. No idea if they ship to other European countries and you'd have to pay import taxes.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I tried out a 15 Pro when it first came out and there were a lot of things to like about it. I thought I was going to keep it but made the "mistake" of going back to my 13 mini for a day and realized how much of a better fit it is for me and my lifestyle. So returned the 15 Pro.

Posted elsewhere, but I really hope the move of the Pros to 6.3" and 6.9" makes room for a slightly bigger than mini Pro. Take the 5.8" screen of the X/Xs and put it in a sleeker/updated form factor and you would have a winner (for me at least).

Reactions: BostonQuad and geta

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Would you mind sharing the price or a link?

This is just an example for a 256 GB model, but you can change color and storage and see the prices.

The indicated prices are in Swiss Francs (CHF). 1 CHF = 1.05 EUR = 1.13 USD

Reactions: BostonQuad and geta

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
This is just an example for a 256 GB model, but you can change color and storage and see the prices.

The indicated prices are in Swiss Francs (CHF). 1 CHF = 1.05 EUR = 1.13 USD

Thanks, but it's only €20 difference compared to the cheapest offer i can find. :confused:

It’s interesting that after two and half years, the 13 Mini still so expensive…

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks for this, but for anyone else interested, it appears they only ship within Switzerland, and to Liechtenstein.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Thanks for this, but for anyone else interested, it appears they only ship within Switzerland, and to Liechtenstein.

They also ship to Germany, Austria, Belgium, France, Italy and The Netherlands if you check out their German store, then you can change the country clicking on the flag on top:

Thanks, but it's only €20 difference compared to the cheapest offer i can find. :confused:

It’s interesting that after two and half years, the 13 Mini still so expensive…

Well yes, they still charge the full price unfortunately. The 13 Mini is in high demand and no new ones are being produced, so that's to be expected.

Reactions: BostonQuad

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
They also ship to Germany, Austria, Belgium, France, Italy and The Netherlands if you check out their German store, then you can change the country clicking on the flag on top:
Ah, missed that. Thanks.
If they shipped to the US, I'd order a replacement for mine.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I wish Apple would realize how much people missing smaller and lighter iPhones, and bring back the 13 Mini shape in the future as part of the Regular series, or even cut down the camera tech (and the bump) and making part of the SE series. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.