Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

argasek

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2022
Question to RTX 4080/4090 owners: when in macOS, do the fans of the RTX spin at all?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
What exactly do you mean by "unpowered"?

As in it can't be connected to the Mac Pro's power supply. If it's powered up, macOS will fail to boot. Folks use external power supplies so it can be effectively rendered inert by having it switched off while booted in macOS.

Again, IIRC.

Reactions: argasek

argasek

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2022
As in it can't be connected to the Mac Pro's power supply. If it's powered up, macOS will fail to boot. Folks use external power supplies so it can be effectively rendered inert by having it switched off while booted in macOS.

Again, IIRC.

OK, sort of:

Dear all,

As for crash after sleep, it crashes on OSX.
But, there's no issue on window side.

What bothers me most is I need to unplug hdmi cable from RTX4090 whenever I need to boot OSX.
Otherwise, it freezes during booting.

Whenever I switch windows and OSX, I need to constantly keep changing hdmi cables.

Looking at the @eric79won post he/she doesn't use external PSU and the boot issue is only with HDMI cable connected. @eric79won did you have a chance to try using the HDMI (2+ port) switch to check if switching the port on the switch to inactive mitigates the issue?

Last edited:

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009

Again, IIRC.

That’s weird, I’d have thought TrevorR90 would have mentioned that in his prior post, since he has a 4090. I’ve been leaning towards the MPX (macOS) + GeForce (Windows 11) route from his reply.

I have a 4090 along with the stock 580x. 580x is connected to HDMI and 4090 to DP. I simply just change the input on the monitor when I switch OS.

Don't need to disable to AMD 580x in windows. Although I do recommend disconnecting the display in the display settings or else you will have an invisible monitor that your mouse can get lost in.

When I had a 6900xt and 580x, all sorts of problems occurred in the windows side. I don't recall where but on Apple support page, it actually specifically states having an non mpx AMD card along with the AMD mpx will cause compatibility issues. I was never able to successfully install drivers with both AMD cards in the system. With an nvidia card, there are no issues.

Reactions: H2SO4

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
That’s weird, I’d have thought TrevorR90 would have mentioned that in his prior post, since he has a 4090. I’ve been leaning towards the MPX (macOS) + GeForce (Windows 11) route from his reply.
as I said, If I Recall Correctly - I may be wrong. Certainly there's reports a couple of pages back here of it kernel panicking on wake from sleep with the Nvidia powered up, which would be a non-starter for me.

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
as I said, If I Recall Correctly - I may be wrong. Certainly there's reports a couple of pages back here of it kernel panicking on wake from sleep with the Nvidia powered up, which would be a non-starter for me.
Yeah, from what I read in this thread, I think that if it's installed, then you can't put the Mac Pro to sleep (and possibly no display sleep) unless you install the fakenvidia.kext. You can however simply set the Mac Pro to never sleep and set the displays to not sleep, and it'll be fine.

I'm still trying to figure out from the various posts, what the exact process is for installing the fakenvidia.kext, but in general it seemed to work well. I also think some reported that display sleep seems fine, and it's just the machine itself that can't go to sleep without causing a panic.

This problem affected all RTX cards though I believe; it isn't just the 4000-series.

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
I finally nabbed a 4090FE and put it in my 7,1 2019 Intel Max Pro. In the picture, I have a 3 pcie power plugs going to the 4090 and one going to a 3060. I removed some pcie slot covers so the hot air from the GPU can be pushed out. Works quite well in windows (obviously). I haven’t gone back to MacOS yet though. For that I usually just use my laptop.
IMG_7709.jpeg
IMG_7711.jpeg

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California

Again, IIRC.

It still can be connected/powered when on Mac OS, it'll just cause issues when Mac Pro is trying to sleep and wake up. It crashes the Mac OS that's all. It'll even detect is as an unidentified PCIE device in Mac OS system report.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I finally nabbed a 4090FE and put it in my 7,1 2019 Intel Max Pro. In the picture, I have a 3 pcie power plugs going to the 4090 and one going to a 3060. I removed some pcie slot covers so the hot air from the GPU can be pushed out. Works quite well in windows (obviously). I haven’t gone back to MacOS yet though. For that I usually just use my laptop. View attachment 2244105 View attachment 2244104
I have both 3090FE and 4090FE and I'm glad I changed it to 4090FE because it now fits perfectly without needing to push my Mac Pro fans out a bit, as 3090FE was a bit longer than the allowed length on Mac Pro inside.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
You can use both in Boot Camp mode. It will just use more power and electricity bills if you're not necessarily needing to use both. But both can be used without any issue. I use 6900XT for display and 4090FE for gaming at the same time. (even when the monitors are connected to 6900XT some games allow to use 4090FE for gaming).

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Thank you for the reply! It’s made me lean back towards wanting to go the MPX + GeForce route; I have the W5700X MPX module so I could use that in macOS and an nVidia card for Windows.

Do you have the sleep issues in macOS with system/display, or did you install the fakeNvidia.kext?

Can you let me know what fakeNvidia.kext is? Does it prevent you from sleep panic issue that I'm seeing when I hooked up RTX4090FE while in Mac OS?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
It still can be connected/powered when on Mac OS, it'll just cause issues when Mac Pro is trying to sleep and wake up. It crashes the Mac OS that's all. It'll even detect is as an unidentified PCIE device in Mac OS system report.

Ahh fair enough - that would make it pretty much a non-starter for me. I sleep my machine whenever it's not actively in use.

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
Can you let me know what fakeNvidia.kext is? Does it prevent you from sleep panic issue that I'm seeing when I hooked up RTX4090FE while in Mac OS?

It's a kext file that I believe allows displays to sleep and possibly manual system sleep. I haven't actually tried it and wish someone who had, would do a nice write-up for creating/editing it.

Reactions: LEOMODE

Stairway

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
I'm just curious: if you boot into macOS with the 4090FE, what is the max resolution and refresh rate that you can get on the display it is connected to? I know there is no acceleration, but I'm curious as to the max resolution and refresh rate you can get.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I'm just curious: if you boot into macOS with the 4090FE, what is the max resolution and refresh rate that you can get on the display it is connected to? I know there is no acceleration, but I'm curious as to the max resolution and refresh rate you can get.

I currently have 4k 144hz monitor and it handles that fine...

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I finally nabbed a 4090FE and put it in my 7,1 2019 Intel Max Pro. In the picture, I have a 3 pcie power plugs going to the 4090 and one going to a 3060. I removed some pcie slot covers so the hot air from the GPU can be pushed out. Works quite well in windows (obviously). I haven’t gone back to MacOS yet though. For that I usually just use my laptop. View attachment 2244105 View attachment 2244104

Just noticed you also put another 3060. What's the use for both Nvidia GPU's (even 3 GPU's including the MPX in Windows Boot Camp)?

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
Did you end up solving the sleep panic issue with the kext or other means?

I’ve still been trying to figure out the kext option, or otherwise just shutting down between uses, before making the jump to using an nvidia card.

HzQhz

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2023
For all those still looking for an answer, I can confirm that the FakeNvidia.kext will prevent crashing on your device with an RTX card installed in MacOS. I do not see perfect sleep performance (fans still seem to be running; will do further testing).

There is still an issue with bootup however, an HDMI cable connected to a display from the RTX card will cause a 'hiccup' where the boot loading screen goes no further. In my testing, an HDMI switcher seems to resolve this. (Aka just have the RTX card think it is unplugged during boot up).

Important note for the FakeNvidia kext; be sure to add your correct model & manufacturer details for your specific card. Visible in System report.

Vendor ID: 0x10de Device ID: 0x2704

• Love
Reactions: argasek

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
For all those still looking for an answer, I can confirm that the FakeNvidia.kext will prevent crashing on your device with an RTX card installed in MacOS. I do not see perfect sleep performance (fans still seem to be running; will do further testing).

There is still an issue with bootup however, an HDMI cable connected to a display from the RTX card will cause a 'hiccup' where the boot loading screen goes no further. In my testing, an HDMI switcher seems to resolve this. (Aka just have the RTX card think it is unplugged during boot up).

Important note for the FakeNvidia kext; be sure to add your correct model & manufacturer details for your specific card. Visible in System report.

Out of curiosity, are you signing the next? I’m just curious since I thought unsigned kext required disabling SIP, which seems like a big deal?

argasek

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2022

Many thanks for the confirmation! A dumb question maybe, but where from can I grab this kext? In my case, Google search doesn't return anything meaningful :(

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Just chiming in here -

Am still waiting on a few things to finish the build, but I am able to physically get a 3090 into my 2019 MP. It is tight, and you must flex the fan grill a bit...but it does fit in, and you can very easily put both the front and rear PCI slot covers back on, the rear one especially shouldn't be an issue since the card bracket should lock into the slot. The front cover wasn't an issue, I suppose if the grill was flexed *a lot* it could have been, but it's really only being pushed on just a little bit. Waiting on the Belkin cables (which are strangely hard to get a hold of now) and still trying to figure out what I'm going to run as a startup disk for Ubuntu. But, at least physically, everything fits.

Attachments

• IMG_1744.jpeg
    IMG_1744.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.