Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
Just noticed you also put another 3060. What's the use for both Nvidia GPU's (even 3 GPU's including the MPX in Windows Boot Camp)?
I saw you have W5700X and RX 6900 XT + nvidia 4090 so I wanted to know how you manage the AMD drivers in windows 11... I have a vega II and it's impossible to install last AMD drivers (it is stuck with 21)... other question : you have enough power for RX 6900 XT + 4090 ? with vega II installed, I have only 3 pcie connectors available...
thank you

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I finally nabbed a 4090FE and put it in my 7,1 2019 Intel Max Pro. In the picture, I have a 3 pcie power plugs going to the 4090 and one going to a 3060. I removed some pcie slot covers so the hot air from the GPU can be pushed out. Works quite well in windows (obviously). I haven’t gone back to MacOS yet though. For that I usually just use my laptop. View attachment 2244105
Hi.
The RTX has a single 12 pin to dual 8 pin connector If I'm right.
Where is you get the 8 pin to mini 8 pin for the motherboard if you don't mind?

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
Hi.
The RTX has a single 12 pin to dual 8 pin connector If I'm right.
Where is you get the 8 pin to mini 8 pin for the motherboard if you don't mind?

Belkin sells a Mac Pro kit. You can also find individual cables on aliexpress but sometimes you’re rolling the dice on that site

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
I think the RTX 4090 FE adapter uses 3x PCIe 8-pin cables, fyi. That'd leave 1x 8-pin and 1x 6-pin in the Mac Pro.

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
I think the RTX 4090 FE adapter uses 3x PCIe 8-pin cables, fyi. That'd leave 1x 8-pin and 1x 6-pin in the Mac Pro.
4090’s have adapters with 4x pcie 8-pin sockets. They can work with just three plugged in though

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Beyond the scope of this thread I know but about to lose my mind and I figure at least a handful following this topic would be helpful...can anyone point me to a good resource for getting Ubuntu installed on a PCIe drive? Having a hell of a time over here and can't even seem to find one instance of someone walking thru this, only the odd mention that it's been done by others. Apologies for OT.

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
Beyond the scope of this thread I know but about to lose my mind and I figure at least a handful following this topic would be helpful...can anyone point me to a good resource for getting Ubuntu installed on a PCIe drive? Having a hell of a time over here and can't even seem to find one instance of someone walking thru this, only the odd mention that it's been done by others. Apologies for OT.

Reactions: Derived

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Drop these guys a message, maybe they know?

Reactions: Derived

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Found the t2linux page by luck about 15 minutes after posting my message, typical how it works with these things. Thanks everyone. Hoping to get the RTX 3090 up and running soon.

lalami1990

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2016
Hi all,

I have a 2019 Mac Pro with a RTX 4080 Super and a AMD W6600X. I too am experiencing issues with my RTX card while using macOS Sonoma such as random kernel panics, freezing etc. I see that there is a FakeNVidia Kext file that I can use to resolve the issue. Is this correct? If so, is there a link to an updated version that would work on a 4080 Super?

Thank you!

J-MI

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Hi all,

I have a 2019 Mac Pro with a RTX 4080 Super and a AMD W6600X. I too am experiencing issues with my RTX card while using macOS Sonoma such as random kernel panics, freezing etc. I see that there is a FakeNVidia Kext file that I can use to resolve the issue. Is this correct? If so, is there a link to an updated version that would work on a 4080 Super?

Thank you!
Do you have an Windows OS on your MacPro to run the RTX 4080?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Do you have a Windows OS on your MacPro to run the RTX 4080?
You have to, it’s unsupported in macOS because Apple having a hissy fit tantrum doesn’t want to allow drivers for it.

You have to disable the nvidia cards so macOS cannot see them.

Its a shame no third party has found a way to get around this limitation.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
it’s unsupported in macOS because Apple having a hissy fit tantrum doesn’t want to allow drivers for it.

NVIDIA have lot's of blame too, Apple relationship with NVIDIA become sour some years before METAL/Mojave debacle, people frequently forget that NVIDIA is not an innocent party here, defective NVIDIA GPUs made Apple recall of years and years of Mac Book Pros production.

There is no financial return supporting macOS today, Apple is a now a major competitor in the GPU/AI business with Apple Silicon GPUs. While most of us in the prosummer market is not exactly happy with this situation, we are not the ones that Apple cater most.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
While most of us in the prosummer market is not exactly happy with this situation, we are not the ones that Apple cater most.
I'm still certainly going to make noise about it though - as anyone who has spend large amounts of dollars on a machine which is still supported under Applecare has a right to do.

While the previous Nvidia GPUs might have had problems, the ones available now are top notch and they really perform. it's time to move on from past events and let the users benefit.

I'm glad I don't yet have to have a separate PC sitting on my desk since this Mac can do both duties pretty well.

I was considering going with a 4090RTX setup (which would have been really fast in Windows) but with the difficulties around keeping that GPU unrecognised by MacOS I ended up going for dual W6800X Duo setup - a AUD$14,000 outlay on brand new GPUs from Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: H2SO4

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm still certainly going to make noise about it though - as anyone who has spend large amounts of dollars on a machine has a right to do.

While the previous Nvidia GPUs might have had problems, the ones available now are top notch and really perform.

I'm glad I don't yet have to have a separate PC sitting on my desk since this Mac can do both duties pretty well.

I was considering going with a 4090RTX setup (which would have been really fast in Windows) but with the difficulties around keeping that GPU unrecognised by MacOS I ended up going for dual W6800X Duo setup - a AUD$14,000 outlay on brand new GPUs from Apple.

You are still not seeing the big picture, the development of NVIDIA drivers for macOS were made viable by the hundreds of millions of MacBook Pros and iMacs, not by the Mac Pro.

Mac Pro driver development was only justifiable economically since NVIDIA already had to do it anyway for the millions of low-level and mid-range chips that were being sold with the other two Macs.

Even if Apple forget everything, let be bygones and completely gave the keys to the kernel to NVIDIA today, NVIDIA wouldn't take it. Apple is now a major competitor that only have some dozens of thousands Macs that can run a NVIDIA GPU, this won't make it economically viable to develop and maintain drivers.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I saw you have W5700X and RX 6900 XT + nvidia 4090 so I wanted to know how you manage the AMD drivers in windows 11... I have a vega II and it's impossible to install last AMD drivers (it is stuck with 21)... other question : you have enough power for RX 6900 XT + 4090 ? with vega II installed, I have only 3 pcie connectors available...
thank you
I use either W5700X or 6900XT along with 4090. I have installed a separate PSU to accommodate for 4090. Whenever I go to Windows I turn on the PSU switch to use 4090, and whenever I go back to Mac OS, I turn it off to avoid kernel panic whenever it goes to sleep. Now it's working flawlessly.

By the way, correct you won't have enough power for 4090 + 6900XT. I used to have 3090 and that was fine with 6900XT.

Hope this helps.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Hi all,

Thank you!
Just install like what I did: Install a separate external PSU and connect 4080 to it. Whenever you use Mac OS, turn the switch off so it turns off 4080. When you use Windows, turn it on and disable AMD GPU. Simple and works like a charm.

J-MI

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
You have to, it’s unsupported in macOS because Apple having a hissy fit tantrum doesn’t want to allow drivers for it.

I know all that. I have an RX 6900 XT for Sonoma and an RTX 4080 for Windows 11 on my Mac Pro running OpenCore and everything works fine on my end. I'm just asking him because the way he states his problem doesn't inform the point I raised. It's not necessarily necessary to have an external PSU.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

Can you elaborate a little more on this? I've done nothing and certainly seem to be Ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.