Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmellis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I just received an email from them:

Thank you for your recent order with O2.

To process your order we require some additional information from you. It is important that you contact us within 2 working days of receiving this email, or we cannot guarantee delivery within your stated timescales. Therefore please can you contact us on 0870 4444713 between 8.30am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.

We need to check 1 proof of Identity and we need to check your residency. Please have the below with you, when you call. Proofs acceptable to O2 are listed below. Please make sure your proofs are for your address where you have applied for service and are in your name, and that all address details are complete.

Acceptable Proof of ID:

-Full UK Driving Licence
-Provisional Driving Licence
-Passport (not hand-written)

Acceptable Proof of Address:

-The address check can be done using a credit or debit card, but not a cash point card. The following card types are acceptable:

-Visa
-MasterCard
-Switch/Maestro
-Delta
-American Express
-Electron
-Solo

Please note that this email has been sent to you from an unmonitored email account so we will not be able to respond to any individual replies..

When calling, please quote the order number that is stated in the subject line of this email. The order number should lead with ON.

Yours sincerely,

O2

But I've already done all of that. The number in the email doesn't appear to have anyone on the other end, and the normal 0800 number for iPhone enquiries said that it should be fine.

Anyone else had this?

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
I got this yesterday (though for the Simplicity account I set up, not for an iPhone). It does eventually go through on that number, but it rang for about 30 minutes first. I just let it ring while I was sitting at my desk. Annoying nonetheless that there's any indication you're on hold or how long you will be!

Another success for O2 then! :rolleyes:

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
i got that email even though they have taken my £59 from my account and am already an o2 customer with a pay monthly tariff

i've had the phone ringing for more than 1hr! still hanging on though...will give up soon

i spoke to normal o2 customer service and they say ring that number as you're told to and then they will ask for your ID number and address details - you will then have to fax them a copy of it or go into a local o2 store

only then will you be allocated an iPhone - but even then we all know they are out of stock

im pretty soon going to cancel the order - ask for a refund and just take friday off and stand in the queue!

im so pissed off!!!

mingletron

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
South Wales UK
I got this too

I phoned the number and it rang and rang. I emailed O2 to complain that I had to phone a 0870 number which costs money and wait ages for nobody to answer etc etc. Then I sent an email asking what was going on.
I phoned O2 customer services who didn't recognise the number my said mycare is the online part of O2 and put me through to the number anyway, after 10 minutes a guy answered and took a debit card number security code and expiry date and my driving license number and said it all checks out.

I got this reply from my email to O2:

Thanks for emailing us to find out why you're receiving email asking for proof of identity.

It is compulsory to provide proof of identity to our credit check team only then your order will be passed through. I'm sorry you're having problems contacting our credit check team on the phone number given in our previous email.

Our records show that your identity proof matter has been cleared and the order for your new iPhone has been passed through. You're order is now in process and will be delivered to you shortly.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
i got that email even though they have taken my £59 from my account and am already an o2 customer with a pay monthly tariff

i've had the phone ringing for more than 1hr! still hanging on though...will give up soon

i spoke to normal o2 customer service and they say ring that number as you're told to and then they will ask for your ID number and address details - you will then have to fax them a copy of it or go into a local o2 store

only then will you be allocated an iPhone - but even then we all know they are out of stock

im pretty soon going to cancel the order - ask for a refund and just take friday off and stand in the queue!

im so pissed off!!!

I have to say in their favour (and I was surprised to find) that they did everything over the phone. They checked one credit card for address verification, and then took my passport number for verification of residency. No need to fax anything or visit a store.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I havent had any Proof Of ID emails, although they said my credit checks and everything went through ok :confused: Strange

cmellis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I've done it all already and received the three previous emails though, so surely I shouldn't have to do it again.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
I havent had any Proof Of ID emails, although they said my credit checks and everything went through ok :confused: Strange

I think you only get this if you're a 'special' circumstance and didn't go through the initial credit check - in my case I'm not on the electoral register which usually flags up an issue.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I think you only get this if you're a 'special' circumstance and didn't go through the initial credit check - in my case I'm not on the electoral register which usually flags up an issue.

Good point, as I am on the voters roll so that would make sense :)

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
Wohooo!

finally got through

yeah no need to fax anything or visit and o2 store - the CS person was BSing

to let you guys now, this is a security check, not a credit check. Security check is done randomly.

if you pass the security check before 5pm today, you WILL get your iPhone on friday

my status on o2 still says in progress, but hopefully that will change very soon!

cmellis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I rang 08009777793 and they claimed it should be okay and to ring back on Friday if I haven't received it, but I'd rather know for sure if there's something wrong. Still ringing :(

ay98182

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2007
ok, well I got that same exact email - unfortunately I'm working late tonight and I don't have time to hold that long on the phone! I'm going to call first thing tomorrow morning though, is there any chance it will still get posted to arrive for Friday??

cmellis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I gave up after over an hour. Rang O2 again, they said that nothing had appeared on my account and that they couldn't check anything and wouldn't know about it until tomorrow. So stupid.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

hi guys I'm down in Yorkshire on holiday. Going to an 02 store on Friday to upgrade. I only have my visa debit card with me. I take that's all I need ????
I ain't been following all the threads this week as my wife is nearly close to killing me about this. !!!!

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

hi guys I'm down in Yorkshire on holiday. Going to an 02 store on Friday to upgrade. I only have my visa debit card with me. I take that's all I need ????
I ain't been following all the threads this week as my wife is nearly close to killing me about this. !!!!

yeah should be enough

take your driving license just in case...mine is always in my wallet anyway...

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow

Aravintht said:

yeah should be enough

take your driving license just in case...mine is always in my wallet anyway...

mine ain't. S**t.
Christ they didn't need anything when I signed up last November online???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.