Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenito

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Thank the gods I'm not the only one. I was calling for about an hour and a half yesterday and spoke to two customer service people who said that apparently there's only 3 people working in the whole of O2's fraud department. So I just started "ringing" again.... 13minutes so far. Good to know though that it's a queue and not just a ringing phone. I'll just have to hang in there rather than redialling.

a headset would be handy though. It's hard holding the receiver to my ear for such long periods... and typing :p

Follow up: When the timer went from 59minutes to 1hour the ringing changed and someone picked up. 3minutes later everything was done. Yuck. At least that confirms that it is a queue, so holding on is your best bet!

cmellis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Thank the gods I'm not the only one. I was calling for about an hour and a half yesterday and spoke to two customer service people who said that apparently there's only 3 people working in the whole of O2's fraud department. So I just started "ringing" again.... 13minutes so far. Good to know though that it's a queue and not just a ringing phone. I'll just have to hang in there rather than redialling.

a headset would be handy though. It's hard holding the receiver to my ear for such long periods... and typing :p

Follow up: When the timer went from 59minutes to 1hour the ringing changed and someone picked up. 3minutes later everything was done. Yuck. At least that confirms that it is a queue, so holding on is your best bet!

Did they confirm that it would be sent out to you today?

svenito

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
They confirmed that the order will now go through. No mention of when it will go out I'm afraid... I'll keep checking my order status and post any progress (current status "In Progress"). I wonder if orders that were waiting on these checks had phones put aside.

cmellis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
They confirmed that the order will now go through. No mention of when it will go out I'm afraid... I'll keep checking my order status and post any progress (current status "In Progress"). I wonder if orders that were waiting on these checks had phones put aside.

I'll be furious if it doesn't go through, I've already done all of these checks.

cmellis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Finally got through. They confirmed that I had given them the information and that the order would be released today. What a total waste of time, why was that necessary?

plodder

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
It gets better! I too had the email asking me to call and prove my identity, spent over 4 hours at different times yesterday trying to get through without luck and was finally connected this morning after 1 hr 3 minutes.

After successfully giving my passport no. and credit card I asked the guy if all was well and that I could expect delivery tomorrow. He replied that it was fine and he would release my order now.

I just made a call to o2 customer services to confirm and was told that they were out of stock 'I know' I said 'but I've ordered mine got an order number have been charged for it and have just got through the id checks'. I was then told that they are very sorry but haven't got any left, but that they'll keep me informed when they next have some!

What a shower!

Psyxologos

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
I think the best thing to do is go to a CPW, an o2 store, or an apple store. This way it is less hassle. Right?

svenito

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I just made a call to o2 customer services to confirm and was told that they were out of stock 'I know' I said 'but I've ordered mine got an order number have been charged for it and have just got through the id checks'. I was then told that they are very sorry but haven't got any left, but that they'll keep me informed when they next have some!
What a shower!

Joy - so much for ordering on Monday then... I thought that perhaps having an oder number and being charged for it might mean that they'll put a phone aside for that order... But clearly that's just dangerous thinking!

As I was typing this I got a call from O2 (customer services aren't that bad so far) telling me that there's no guarantee I will get my phone tomorrow and it is very unlikely that I will. Could be a few weeks before I get it then.

I think the best thing to do is go to a CPW, an o2 store, or an apple store. This way it is less hassle. Right?

who can say - you might have to fight for it :) apparently they only have a few dozen units in each store.
Glad they planned ahead on this one!

mkaiser1

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Leicester, UK
I'm unable to check my emails at present (me.com is down), but I'm pretty certain I've not had this email. However, my order status is "Complete" and I have been given a dispatch number etc...

Do I need to be concerned???

svenito

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I'm unable to check my emails at present (me.com is down), but I'm pretty certain I've not had this email. However, my order status is "Complete" and I have been given a dispatch number etc...

Do I need to be concerned???

Sounds to me like you weren't part of the credit check thingy - I think the reason I got lumbered with it was that I've moved around a lot recently and not lived anywhere for more than 3 years :p

So effectively the only reason I won't get my phone tomorrow is that I had to wait for this credit check... not really fair.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Just had a 'casual' chat with a CPW store manager (and I would recommend taking this with a huge pinch of salt) but he claims the whole of the UK got only 10,000 phones. Of that 80% went to CPW given the number of stores, with higher allocations going to larger stores. This particular local store has 'less than 5' 16GB models - and they wouldn't be any more specific than that.

Don't shoot the messenger. :D

cmellis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
It gets better! I too had the email asking me to call and prove my identity, spent over 4 hours at different times yesterday trying to get through without luck and was finally connected this morning after 1 hr 3 minutes.

After successfully giving my passport no. and credit card I asked the guy if all was well and that I could expect delivery tomorrow. He replied that it was fine and he would release my order now.

What a shower!

After I had done it and called normal customer service, they said it would definitely be dispatched today for deliver tomorrow. I hope that's true.

svenito

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
After I had done it and called normal customer service, they said it would definitely be dispatched today for deliver tomorrow. I hope that's true.

Interesting... seems like everyone is getting told different things. My customer service guy was very apologetic and said he can't guarantee delivery tomorrow but it _might_ happen. Well, to those who had to endure the security checks, good luck and I hope you receive your phone tomorrow.....

plodder

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
ready for this?

I've just had a call from a girl in the id checking department asking for my details (again) I explained that I'd already spoken to someone this morning and given all the required information. She said 'oh yes, are you looking forward to receiving your phone tomorrow' I resisted the urge to shout 'ARE YOU TAKING THE £!@@' and explained what had happened.

She assured me that it is her department that releases the iPhones and that anyone who has had an email has had a phone reserved and that I would receive it tomorrow. She added that customer services were reporting them as out of stock as that is what the system tells them but those of us with orders have had them allocated.

My order status still says in progress however, we shall see.

svenito

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
ready for this?
She assured me that it is her department that releases the iPhones and that anyone who has had an email has had a phone reserved and that I would receive it tomorrow. She added that customer services were reporting them as out of stock as that is what the system tells them but those of us with orders have had them allocated.

My order status still says in progress however, we shall see.

I'm starting to giggle each time I hear a new version of these stories. Well having a phone set aside for those of us that managed to order early on Monday makes sense... but sense is rare these days. My order still says in progress so I too, will see.

I look forward to tomorrow when there'll be new posts on this thread finally revealing who got one and who didn't :)

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
im going to give them till 7pm (CS close at 8) to update my order and give me a tracking number - if not im cancelling and going to queue up tomorrow...hope i don't regret it!

Adlopa

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
O2 response to this situation posted here:

"Yes, the number does belong to O2 and is being used to verify the identify of people who placed orders. The team have been processing a huge number of these since Monday and we can only apologise for the failure to answer the phone within an acceptable timeframe.

The information you were given at the alternate number is incorrect. The Fraud & Security team can validate your identity through a phone call. In some rare cases they may ask someone to fax a copy of their proof of ID to a secure fax machine but they would not ask for scans to be emailed.

It’s unfortunate that you were given this wrong information but I can assure you that our policy is not to ask customers to email sensitive personal documents."​

cmellis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Update: they've changed their mind and they're now telling me I definitely won't be getting one tomorrow. Incredible.

Psyxologos

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
I was told today in my local O2 shop that all i need is my credit/debit card. I am (going to be) a new customer porting over from Orange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.