Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Funny, I thought I was reading a thread about the FRAND licensing dispute between Samsung and Apple. Do these forums not have a politics board for all this other ranting?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why does this really matter so much? Apple will likely discontinue the iPhone 4 and 3GS with the release of the iPhone 5C. iPad 1st gen is already discontinued, so really iPad 2 would be the only product effected (which could be on its way out as well come September).

That's a good point. While I don't agree at all that Samsung should be able to ban import of iPhones for infringing on standard essential patents (and in the EU Samsung had to abandon attempts to do this or be faced with a multi-billion Euro fine), it's quite pathetic that such a ban should only happen years later when the product is close to end of sale. That's of course a problem that Apple faces as well the other way round.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Monetary compensation is of course the right remedy, but in this case Apple refused to pay anything (or at least anything that could have been considered as an fair deal). They could have kept negotiating with Samsung to actually reach an FAIR deal for both of them, but apparently Apple didn't want that and they preferred to have this case go through the courts.

Apple has been willing the entire time to pay the same FRAND licensing fees that Samsung offered to Microsoft and Google for this same patent. I think initially there was some confusion over the part in question (a baseband chip made by Infineon) because it was thought that Infineon had already paid the license for it. You don't get to double dip on the licensing. But beyond that, Samsung was demanding several times more from Apple for the same patent than they were getting from MS and others. That's where the "discriminatory" part of FRAND kicks in. You can't do that.

Motorola discovered this when they tried to extort Apple on SEPs a few months back. Samsung will get their money, they just won't be able to turn it into a lottery ticket windfall. If they wanted to be able to charge whatever they felt the market would bear, they shouldn't have applied for this tech to be Standards Essential.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Obama is showing the USITC the same complete disregard and disrespect he shows for The Constitution, The Bill of Rights, American law, and international law.

No. The government did exactly what it is supposed to do: Check decisions of the USITC and find whether they agree with the country's policies and reject them if they don't.

Apple has been willing the entire time to pay the same FRAND licensing fees that Samsung offered to Microsoft and Google for this same patent. I think initially there was some confusion over the part in question (a baseband chip made by Infineon) because it was thought that Infineon had already paid the license for it. You don't get to double dip on the licensing. But beyond that, Samsung was demanding several times more from Apple for the same patent than they were getting from MS and others. That's where the "discriminatory" part of FRAND kicks in. You can't do that.

The usual rate is something like 2% of the chip in question, which would be 2% of a $10 or $20 chip. Samsung wanted 2% of the whole iPhone. Since an iPhone like any other smartphone is so many different things, it propably uses lots of standard essential patents - phone patents, music player patents, video player patents, email patents, and so on and so on. If Samsung paid 2% of the S4 sales price for every standard essential patent that phone uses, they would have to pay out more than 100% for every phone sold.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
The only thing relevant to this thread is the veto.

There WAS NO veto. And Obama didn't do anything. I don't understand why so many people fail to see through MacRumors sensational headline and article. Did you read the letter??

"This authority has been assigned to the United States Trade Representative"

That means the President didn't do it (of course he knew about it)

And the options availabe were to "approve", "disapprove" or "take no action". Notice that "veto" is not an option.

Don't call other people "dumb" if you aren't fully reading and comprehending the article and letter yourself.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
The usual rate is something like 2% of the chip in question, which would be 2% of a $10 or $20 chip. Samsung wanted 2% of the whole iPhone. Since an iPhone like any other smartphone is so many different things, it propably uses lots of standard essential patents - phone patents, music player patents, video player patents, email patents, and so on and so on. If Samsung paid 2% of the S4 sales price for every standard essential patent that phone uses, they would have to pay out more than 100% for every phone sold.

I read somewhere (iSuppli I think it was) that the part in question was just under $12, so 2% would be around $2.30 per phone sold. Samsung was demanding $18 per phone, or 3% of the $600 retail price of the phone. The former figure is more in line with what they licensed the same patent to Microsoft for.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Please elaborate.

corporations use government roads, government airports, and a government court system to enforce contracts.

They hire students educated at public schools and universities.

Exactly how do corporations make any money without the infrastructure provided by government?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I see this as firstly, the US government wishing to match the Korean government etc as they have backed Samsung, so Obama is doing the same for an American company.
Secondly, it's pathetic anyway and hypocritical as until the US government takes it's corrupt and bent patent system and subsequent patent courts and scraps it all, then whatever they do will remain hypocritical.

The entire system needs scraping and starting from scratch and made to be fair and corruption free.
Then again I would also bet money that Obama is only stepping in because the government have struck a deal with Apple to start to bring manufacturing back to America, when it comes to corporations and government their is usually ALWAY'S an ulterior motive at hand, no one scratches the others back for free.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I believe Snowden is an opportunistic scumbag - but I agree: the whole spying thing is one of the low-points of democratic society. To me, this signifies two things:

1. Western society has now reached a degree of xenophobia and paranoia that is typically only present in dictatorships and communist countries. As a matter of fact, the degree of spying going on in the US and most (if not all) European countries is now putting the STASI to shame.

2. Terrorism has won. Terrorists wants us to be afraid. And afraid we are. Of foreigners, of our neighbours, of our own countrymen etc. They've effectively killed freedom in the Western world. Today, I have to be afraid of speaking my mind and I always have to think twice what I write about whom on electronic media.

Actually I think you have it wrong becaus you forgot to mention:
3. Media needs to create news and phenomena for the masses. Just like the iPhone hype was a media phenomenon the same applies to terrorism. All of a sudden when some guy named Snowden appears we have fake news popping up about upcomming terror events.

Just one thing to keep in mind: All this #prism and #tempora stuff didn't stop the Boston marathon attack. Though this guy was an American student online like usual.

Actually dumbed down Joe Average is spoon-fed so called selected facts (they are the truth, yet most of the time there is a biased picture painted) to create attention, viewers, clicks and therefore money.

Once upon a time I had a lot of respect for Michael Moore because I liked his agenda. Nevertheless he also is a professional neglecter of facts he doesn't like.

On topic:
Now could the administration just please, pretty please, fix this mess of a system on patents? Things have become so ridiculous that you sometimes think you should create a "patent on biochemical energy creation using carbohydrates in conjunction with oxygene".

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
There WAS NO veto. And Obama didn't do anything. I don't understand why so many people fail to see through MacRumors sensational headline and article. Did you read the letter??

"This authority has been assigned to the United States Trade Representative"

That means the President didn't do it (of course he knew about it)

And the options availabe were to "approve", "disapprove" or "take no action". Notice that "veto" is not an option.

Don't call other people "dumb" if you aren't fully reading and comprehending the article and letter yourself.

hahaha good shout, yeap so a Ambassador Michael B.G. Froman officially choosing to 'disapprove' the order, magically turns into the American President vetoing the order hahaha, great sensationalist journalism at it's finest :D

mrxak

macrumors 68000
- Created the first "Patients Bill of Rights" (which John McCain and Ted Kennedy tried to in the 90's):
Stop insurance companies from limiting the care you need
Remove insurance company barriers between you and your doctor
Keeping Young Adults Covered
Providing Affordable Coverage to Americans without Insurance due to Pre-existing Conditions
No Pre-Existing Condition Exclusions for Children Under Age 19
No Lifetime Limits on Coverage
Restricted Annual Dollar Limits on Coverage
Protecting Your Choice of Doctors

- Appointing people who actually care about the environment into office

- Eliminating DADT and addressing LGBT rights

- Increased funding for national parks and forests by 10%

- Significantly expanded Pell grants, which help low-income students pay for college

- Appointed nation's first Chief Technology Officer

- Signed financial reform law establishing a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to look out for the interests of everyday Americans

- Signed financial reform law requiring lenders to verify applicants' credit history, income, and employment status

- Signed financial reform law prohibiting banks from engaging in proprietary trading (trading the bank's own money to turn a profit, often in conflict with their customers' interests)

- Cut prescription drug cost for medicare recipients by 50%

- Created more private sector jobs in 2010 than during entire Bush years

- Signed New START Treaty - nuclear arms reduction pact with Russia

- Provided the Department of Veterans Affairs with more than $1.4 billion to improve services to America's Veterans

- Signed the Children's Health Insurance Reauthorization Act, which provides health care to 11 million kids -- 4 million of whom were previously uninsured

- Issued executive order to repeal Bush era restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research (as a Type 1 Diabetic since 12, this is a big deal that even Nancy Reagan was disgusted with Bush for this policy)

Yeah, that Obama, he's just a lame duck POTUS.

Shall I go on?

http://whatthe****hasobamadonesofar.com (replace the **** with the obvious word for the link)

Most of those are debatable or controversial or most of the work was done by Congress and he merely signed the bills they sent him.

What you should have said was:

- Ordered SEALs into Pakistan to put a bullet in Osama bin Laden's head.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Please do. Just don't forget:

Oversees and defends unconstitutional spying on American citizens in an example of the greatest threat to our freedom yet uncovered.

Lied when he promised OVER 5 YEARS AGO to close Guantanamo Bay

Continued and expanded the unconstitutional Bush doctrine of Preemptive War.

Established unrestrained war and American Imperial violence as the global status quo (following in Bush's footsteps).

Shall I go on?....

While I do not agree with PRISM or anything of the such (it disgusts me), you do realize GWB initiated "The Patriot Act" and this has been going on for decades. GWB's administration was in a similar scandal when he extended the scope of wiretapping and surveillance, using "The War on Terror" as an excuse in conjunction with AT&T (who also got caught with their pants down).

Again, I am extremely disheartened that these programs have been initiated and used against our knowledge, however you cannot blame one administration. It's been going on for a long time. It certainly doesn't help when members of Congress and others who knew feign outrage. Some political opponents are fanning the flames to point the finger at others when truly, THEY'RE ALL TO BLAME. When you point fingers, make sure you include GWB, Clinton, GB, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, etc. Technology has allowed a much broader scope.

Most of those are debatable or controversial or most of the work was done by Congress and he merely signed the bills they sent him.

- Ordered SEALs into Pakistan to put a bullet in Osama bin Laden's head.

True, although POTUS was certainly involved and absolutely initiated many of those policies. Using that excuse you could state the same for every president we have ever had.

The one thing that bothers me about bin Laden; why did we give him a "proper" burial out to sea? No disrespect to anyone who practices such, it just really surprised me.

Last edited:

mrxak

macrumors 68000
True on some of your points, although POTUS was certainly involved and absolutely initiated many of those policies. Using that excuse you could state the same for every president we have ever had.

The one thing that bothers me about bin Laden; why did we give him a "proper" burial out to sea? No disrespect to anyone who practices such, it just really surprised me.

I definitely don't want to argue about your list, I just meant to say that some people are going to have problems with various items you listed. Most of those are going to have some segment of people saying they're not good things, or they'd have happened regardless and he doesn't deserve the credit, or they're simply untrue.

Hard to argue with getting bin Laden, though. I was just surprised you didn't include it on your list.

The burial at sea was kind of a cop-out, really. The fact is, many actually did feel disrespected by it. We dumped the body at sea because it was easy, and would cause a minimum of political problems back home. It was not the preferred islamic tradition, and many muslim leaders objected over it. Osama's gravesite would not have become a shrine regardless. We just didn't want to deal with it, so we dumped it in the quickest way we could while maintaining the appearance that we cared about his religion.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I definitely don't want to argue about your list, I just meant to say that some people are going to have problems with various items you listed. Most of those are going to have some segment of people saying they're not good things, or they'd have happened regardless and he doesn't deserve the credit, or they're simply untrue.

Hard to argue with getting bin Laden, though. I was just surprised you didn't include it on your list.

Ironic, I know. :eek:

I know I'll get slack for this, while Obama's administration was certainly a key factor, I can't disregard the intelligence gathered from many administrations that assisted. I just find the whole "we're respecting his religious rights" burial out to sea so odd.

The burial at sea was kind of a cop-out, really. The fact is, many actually did feel disrespected by it. We dumped the body at sea because it was easy, and would cause a minimum of political problems back home. It was not the preferred islamic tradition, and many muslim leaders objected over it. Osama's gravesite would not have become a shrine regardless. We just didn't want to deal with it, so we dumped it in the quickest way we could while maintaining the appearance that we cared about his religion.

Ah, good points and excuse my ignorance. I'm of no particular faith, so I'm rather uninformed on the matters/practices of certain faiths.

On another note, I was logged out of MacRumors and couldn't log back in. I thought, "****, did I get banned." Kept trying, and trying, then I realized, "oh, private browsing is on." Yeah, natural blond.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I read somewhere (iSuppli I think it was) that the part in question was just under $12, so 2% would be around $2.30 per phone sold. Samsung was demanding $18 per phone, or 3% of the $600 retail price of the phone. The former figure is more in line with what they licensed the same patent to Microsoft for.

Quite right in principle, except that 2% of a $12 part are 24 cents :D

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Ironic, I know. :eek:

I know I'll get slack for this, while Obama's administration was certainly a key factor, I can't disregard the intelligence gathered from many administrations that assisted.

I think you have to look at it as the leadership it took to give the order, for that particular kind of raid. Another president might have dropped a bomb from a plane (and risked being unable to verify we got him). Another president might have worked with the Pakistanis (and risked them warning bin Laden to escape). I remember very clearly in the one debate where McCain said we shouldn't violate Pakistani airspace, and Obama said he would if it meant getting bin Laden. When it comes down to it, it wasn't Bush or Obama or any other president who was on the ground tracking couriers. But it was a commander-in-chief who sent special forces operators into harm's way, and that's the decision that counts.

There are plenty of things I disagree with Obama on, and frankly the list is growing, but I give credit where credit is due.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
But it was a commander-in-chief who sent special forces operators into harm's way, and that's the decision that counts.

Excellent point, Sir. :)

I realize we'll never know but I'd love to have seen exactly what went down (aside from fictional movies, etc). I could not imagine being a part of the SEAL team that night, I'd be pissing myself and finding religion for the first time. lol

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Just one thing to keep in mind: All this #prism and #tempora stuff didn't stop the Boston marathon attack. Though this guy was an American student online like usual.

Two guys actually...

The problem is that these two guys did lots of things that looked highly suspicious after the attack, but lots of people did exactly the same things absolutely harmlessly. But now we have the police turning up in force when a housewife searches for pressure cookers because she wants one in the kitchen, and her husband looks into buying himself a backpack.

So should we now stop doing things because we are afraid they look suspicious? Tom Clancy did a very elaborate description in one of his books how to build a nuclear bomb (which I'm quite sure contains some fatal blunders that would stop it from working), and I found that very interesting. If you are interested in general how things work, you'd also be interested in knowing how a pressure cooker bomb works. Should I refrain from googling for it because it looks suspicious? I think plenty of muslim fundamentalists are total nutters, but I'd like to know what's really going on in their mind. Should I refrain from visiting their websites because it looks suspicious? Imagine you are a muslim housewife, and you want a pressure cooker because your neighbour told you how great their are. So your husband says "no, you can't have one. I don't want the police coming to our home. Especially since I just bought a backpack for going camping with the kids".

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Your list can be broken down mostly into massive cost increases and feel-good measures whose results will be impossible to quantify for decades if ever.

Woohoo.

Then go for it. :)

Now, don't forget Obama was handed one of the worst economies outside of "The Great Depression," even his toughest critics recognize he has done the best as anyone could in his position. The unemployment rate is the best it has been in a long time. Additionally, when Obama took office the GWB administrations Iraq costs were not budgeted.

In fact, you'd be surprised that Obama has spent the least amount of money in his first term:

Viral Facebook post says Barack Obama has lowest spending record of any recent president

The Facebook post says Mitt Romney is wrong to claim that spending under Obama has "accelerated at a pace without precedent in recent history," because it's actually risen "slower than at any time in nearly 60 years."

Obama has indeed presided over the slowest growth in spending of any president using raw dollars, and it was the second-slowest if you adjust for inflation. The math simultaneously backs up Nutting’s calculations and demolishes Romney’s contention. The only significant shortcoming of the graphic is that it fails to note that some of the restraint in spending was fueled by demands from congressional Republicans. On balance, we rate the claim Mostly True.

Before you disregard the above, it started with a chart that opened a dialog regarding fact checking of the Obama administrations spending. Many financial experts, et al have tackled this issue with similar conclusions. It's a misnomer to state Obama has outspent any President to date at an alarming rate.

Attachments

• obamaSpendingChart.jpg
    obamaSpendingChart.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Remember, only Apple has a right to steal. Samsung never got their products near a ban, but...they're copycats, right? RIGHT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.