Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
The situation's more similar than you think. One of the reasons why the USSR ultimately failed was because their economy couldn't support a costly, prolonged war in...wait for it...Afghanistan. There are other reasons, of course, but that was a major contributing factor.

I didn't think USSR actually had a economy as everything including bread was manufactured by the government and sold at subsidized rates.

But prolonged war can bleed any country to death, specially if you don't what what and why you are fighting it.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
All phones should be unlocked the day you get it, whether under contract or not. One should not be tied to the other. So what if the phone is unlocked? If you are under contract, you still have to abide by the terms, or pay an ETF. What is the need to lock the phones to begin with? Locking makes absolutely no sense. It would be like buying a new car with installment payments and the car won't start for anyone else until you get the title.

Actually, a better analogy would be if you buy a dealer-financed car, they hold the title until you pay them off. Which, they do.

If you want a factory-unlocked phone, buy it that way. Difficult to do 5 years ago. Easy-peasy now. Buy the unlocked phone and take it to the carrier. They are happy to activate for you. Also difficult 5 years ago. Easy-peasy now.

If you buy a factory-unlocked phone, you don't have to have it unlocked by the carrier.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
I just want to know :D does this mean those cheap iPhone unlocks will flood the internet again?

that's something else. i think at&t in general closed some loopholes in their system. so all at&t branded phones including iphones now cost way more to unlock. that has nothing to do with this bill. unlocking at&t phones for cheap is over.

Renzatic

Suspended
I didn't think USSR actually had a economy as everything including bread was manufactured by the government and sold at subsidized rates.

But prolonged war can bleed any country to death, specially if you don't what what and why you are fighting it.

The Soviets had an economy, just like any country. It was just rigidly planned and controlled entirely by the state.

That inflexibility, by the way, was yet another contributing factor to their downfall.

----------

how do you even know hes dead? cause they told you so? maybe it was from all the pics of the body lol

Because if we announced his death to the world while he was still alive and kicking, I'm sure he would've sent off a videotape to Al Jazeera stating otherwise.

Course he could've died of natural causes, and we ended up taking credit for it to look cool. But either way, I'm 99.9% sure he's dead.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Like who? I hear this assertion waaaaaaaaay more from conservatives than from liberals.

"Messiah", etc, were all coined by conservatives.

Seconded. I see this ALL the time from conservatives - that liberals think Obama is "God" or the "Messiah" but I have never actually seen a liberal say this, or anything close to it. Yes, they think he better - in some cases significantly so - than any of the Republican alternatives, but thinking he's God? Not even close. Especially considering many liberals are disappointed with his performance.

I have yet to see any conservative back up this claim that liberals literally worship Obama. I welcome the frothy-mouthed citations from the conservatives here.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is it simply because this thread in PRSI that derailing it in a hundred different off topic paths makes it perfectly fine? Just trying to figure it out.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
He didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Of course you're correct. And the same thing goes for the jobs numbers BUT...

if here were not the president, would you say the same thing? I seriously doubt it. Romney is a business guy so HE would have made it happen, right? LOL.

The net-net: it happened on his watch so Obama gets credit including Bin Laden, the recovery, the DOW numbers the jobs # etc....

But that also goes for ISIS, the NSA, and the VA: he gets credit for that as well.

I voted for him twice but, I'm not blind.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Is it simply because this thread in PRSI that derailing it in a hundred different off topic paths makes it perfectly fine? Just trying to figure it out.

PRSi is a lot like Usenet was in decades gone by, i.e., "... a kind of only slightly organized chaos, typically with a lot of off-topic messages and thinly concealed advertisements mixed in with the on-topic and useful messages." :p

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I know this was answered already, but I figured I should elaborate since it's on-topic.

(I'm mostly assuming you live in America for the below post unless otherwise noted)

When you "buy" a brand new iPhone 5s from your telco for...say... $199, what really happens is the telco buys it for you and sticks you on a (often 2-years) contract. Until that contract is over, you don't own the phone, the telco does (i.e., it's not paid for). You can also pay the $799 (or whatever it would cost in America) and buy it outright.

This practice may not be common where you live, so if you need me to clarify anything feel free to ask.
thanks! sorry for late response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.