Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
What’s the advantage of this method over dosdude1‘s patcher on MP 5,1? Apologies if this has been discussed already.

Native install without any patches to the OS or install files.

That being said, my Catalina (not my main OS) install is running without issue using the dosdude1 patcher on my (heavily upgraded) MP51.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Upgrade went great, I do have one question. Are we able to upgrade the OS now normally or will we have to pull the drive each time and connect to another Mac to get it done?
No need. Make an usb installer and reinstall over the system.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Honestly I think just pulling the drive and updating through another Mac is a lot faster.

After the initial setup, most definitely not. Updates then work like they always have. But to each his own.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
What’s the advantage of this method over dosdude1‘s patcher on MP 5,1? Apologies if this has been discussed already.
You run totally unmodified Catalina code. For some this don't matter and prefer to use dosdude1 patched installs, for others running unmodified code is a requirement. That's why I wrote the raw disk instructions.

Btw, after you install Catalina, take a look at @cdf instructions on how to run OpenCore with VMM flag spoofing, this is the best way to run Catalina and even Software Updates work natively. Patched dosdude1 installs require that you reinstall over every new release.
[automerge]1577780658[/automerge]
OpenCore is evolving rapidly, VMM spoof works from day one and the MP5,1 existing quirks with more advanced uses, like x264/HEVC hardware acceleration, are being or going to be resolved with time.

Last edited:
Reactions: XNorth

papadj3

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2018
To The Experts: I have installed Catalina 15.2 on my 4,1/5,1- pulling my Mojave drive and updating through another supported Mac- (after no compat etc)! Runs Great!

How would I use @cdf instructions on how to run OpenCore with VMM flag spoofing now that I just have a Catalina drive?? Instructions utilize A/B drive with mojave? I am a real newbie and do not understand!!
I would also love to update normally, "most definitely" as cdf and tsialex suggest!!!
Any instructions would be appreciated-

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
To The Experts: I have installed Catalina 15.2 on my 4,1/5,1- pulling my Mojave drive and updating through another supported Mac- (after no compat etc)! Runs Great!

How would I use @cdf instructions on how to run OpenCore with VMM flag spoofing now that I just have a Catalina drive?? Instructions utilize A/B drive with mojave? I am a real newbie and do not understand!!
I would also love to update normally, "most definitely" as cdf and tsialex suggest!!!
Any instructions would be appreciated-
You have to do all the steps 1 to 8, except the step 6 since you already have Catalina installed.

Maybe in the future when OpenCore development is complete/stable, someone will make a tool to automate all the steps needed, for now @cdf instructions are the simplest guide to install OpenCore with a MP5,1.

Reactions: XNorth

papadj3

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2018
tsialex and cdf:
Questions from "Mr. Newbie" -

Do I still need a DiskB ?(Mojave) or without DiskB will step 5e just boot into my catalina diskA?
(Do I still need to do an SMC Step 5d?)

Also- In step 8 if I disable the VMM flag by reversing step 4b do I have to enable it again for updates to work? (I would leave OC enabled)

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
tsialex and cdf:
Questions from "Mr. Newbie" -

Do I still need a DiskB ?(Mojave) or without DiskB will step 5e just boot into my catalina diskA?
(Do I still need to do an SMC Step 5d?)

Also- In step 8 if I disable the VMM flag by reversing step 4b do I have to enable it again for updates to work? (I would leave OC enabled)
Yes, you need a 10.13.6/10.14.6 disk available. If you clear the NVRAM, you can't boot Catalina anymore.

Don't disable the VMM flag spoofing, it's needed and it's the motive that we are using OpenCore. It's the VMM flag that makes updates work, using VMware Fusion/OpenCore/etc.

papadj3

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2018
THanks-I think I 've got it-
Last Question (I promise)- If I disable OC (re-10) will the VMM flag remain for updates??
Is there a performance loss keeping OC enabled?
papadj3

papadj3

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2018
tsialex
read cdf instructions again which answered my last Question to you!
Is the performance loss noticeable ?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
tsialex
read cdf instructions again which answered my last Question to you!
Is the performance loss noticeable ?
Nope, it's really minimal even with benchmarks. It's probably caused by some incorrect Westmere setup parameters used by OpenCore devs deep in the code, one of them resolved today.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Yes, you need a 10.13.6/10.14.6 disk available. If you clear the NVRAM, you can't boot Catalina anymore.

Don't disable the VMM flag spoofing, it's needed and it's the motive that we are using OpenCore. It's the VMM flag that makes updates work, using VMware Fusion/OpenCore/etc.

You don’t need a full install lying around you know, to disable the compat check and boot after resetting the nvram you can just use a thumb drive with an osx installer on it

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
You don’t need a full install lying around you know, to disable the compat check and boot after resetting the nvram you can just use a thumb drive with an osx installer on it
If you gonna need to edit something with OC config files, a very common thing, you gonna have a helll of time from the macOS installer. Have a fully working 10.13.6/10.14.6 ready, even if not installed inside.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
Nope, it's really minimal even with benchmarks. It's probably caused by some incorrect Westmere setup parameters used by OpenCore devs deep in the code, one of them resolved today.

In my tests it was the VMM flag which did impact perfs - by about 10%. May not be real life-relevant, but definitely measurable. Since the VMM flag is only needed for OS updates AFAIK, I would only enable it when required.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
In my tests it was the VMM flag which did impact perfs - by about 10%. May not be real life-relevant, but definitely measurable. Since the VMM flag is only needed for OS updates AFAIK, I would only enable it when required.
VMM flag has a impact, since makes Catalina to run inside Apple Hypervisor and this has a toll, but the problem is more complex, since OpenCore don't correctly set the frequency/multipliers or even the microcode correctly for Westmere Xeons.

Things are getting corrected, down the road we probably will have the most pressing problems all resolved.

Β Σ Τ Θ

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
San Francisco, CA
VMM flag has a impact, since makes Catalina to run inside Apple Hypervisor and this has a toll, but the problem is more complex, since OpenCore don't correctly set the frequency/multipliers or even the microcode correctly for Westmere Xeons.

Things are getting corrected, down the road we probably will have the most pressing problems all resolved.

Is this the same for dosdude1's patch? both run inside Hypervisor? is the performance toll the same for both?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Is this the same for dosdude1's patch? both run inside Hypervisor? is the performance toll the same for both?
No, it’s a way to run unpatched and with native updates. Any small performance hit is worth for running vanilla installs with updates.

Β Σ Τ Θ

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
San Francisco, CA
No, it’s a way to run unpatched and with native updates. Any small performance hit is worth for running vanilla installs with updates.
I understand your reasoning, but maybe that's a personal choice? I run Logic and need all the CPU I can get, I am concerned that using this way (which I agree has more benefits in the long run) impacts the whole reason why I have a Mac Pro, so if I understand correctly dosdude1's patch will not impact the CPU performance since there's no spoofing, no need to run inside Hypervisor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.