Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffhalmos

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2002
Correct AFAIK...
I'm assuming we also have to remove our HD physically as well? At least, that was the only way I could get it to work the first time.
[automerge]1580528053[/automerge]
Just a quick question so I understand correctly:

I have to have nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" set in NVRAM for Catalina to boot? If I reset the NVRAM I have to enter this again (in my case, start up from the recovery partition on a drive with High Sierra and out in the AMD GPU that came with the computer)?
I'm assuming we also have to remove our HD physically as well? At least, that was the only way I could get it to work the first time.

Ben888

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2017
Newberg, Oregon
i hope dosdude1 can patch it. our towers still have some good life left in them. once i saw that apple announced catalina, and didnt see the 2010 5'1 on it, currently typing on it as we speak (yes i have one as well), im like, im sure dosdude1 will take care of it. just because our intel chips are outdated and that intel refuses to update the microcodes, and because of the md5 attacks they have, doesn't mean apple has to ommit us from running the new os. These towers have more than enough power to run catalina, they just want us to upgrade our towers to the trashcans, or to the new (cheese grader).

Using dosdude's patcher, Catalina runs pretty well on my Mac Pro 3,1. There are a few hacks and workarounds that had to be implemented, but I am pleased with the results. My configuration is:

Mac Pro 3,1
Dual 2.8 Ghz Quad Core
32 GB RAM
SanDisk SSD on a OWC Accelsior S PCI-E controller (boot drive)
Nvidia GTX 670 graphics card

I will note an occasional graphics glitch with the Nvidia card, but otherwise it works great.

Ben
[automerge]1580532950[/automerge]
As far as Wi-fi goes, I use an Edimax USB Wi-fi adapter (EW-7811Un) with my 3,1 using a realtek driver (The adapter uses a realtek chipset) that I found online since Edimax's driver didn't work in Catalina. This adapter is a cheap Wi-fi option. I bought mine on Amazon for $8.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
WiFi via Ethernet solutions like this are great for people who don't want to swap internal hardware, boot multiple OS between Catalina and "approved" versions (Mojave and previous), or are stuck for any other reason. Usually can get on sale for cheaper than currently listed:

Reactions: crjackson2134

griffija

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2020
You have to do all the steps 1 to 8, except the step 6 since you already have Catalina installed.

Maybe in the future when OpenCore development is complete/stable, someone will make a tool to automate all the steps needed, for now @cdf instructions are the simplest guide to install OpenCore with a MP5,1.

Will this process work if Catalina was installed with the dosdude patch?

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Looking for some assistance running Catalina on a 5,1 Mac Pro. I initially tried to run through the DosDude1 method and got to the point of converting my HD to APFS. When I got into disk utility everything was already unmounted. Ran the convert and it went fine, but couldn't mount the drive when finished. Tried mounting other drives and they wouldn't either...

So I went to install Catalina and came up with the following error.

This copy of the Install macOS Catalina application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS.

After some research I downloaded a new copy of Catalina (straight from the App Store on a natively supported computer) and created a new USB stick. It still throws up the same error every time I try to install.

Any thoughts?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Looking for some assistance running Catalina on a 5,1 Mac Pro. I initially tried to run through the DosDude1 method and got to the point of converting my HD to APFS. When I got into disk utility everything was already unmounted. Ran the convert and it went fine, but couldn't mount the drive when finished. Tried mounting other drives and they wouldn't either...

So I went to install Catalina and came up with the following error.

This copy of the Install macOS Catalina application is damaged, and can’t be used to install macOS.

After some research I downloaded a new copy of Catalina (straight from the App Store on a natively supported computer) and created a new USB stick. It still throws up the same error every time I try to install.

Any thoughts?
Here we go out of our way to use un-patched installs. So, for patched ones you will get better support asking directly on the correct thread:

macOS 10.15 Catalina on Unsupported Macs

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Sounds good, I've been looking into that option but I'm lazy and going to wait to see if it becomes more user friendly in the future.

Thanks for the reference though, I'll post over there.

jeffhalmos

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2002
I was under the impression this method allowed for software updates via Software Update in the System preferences. Not happening for me. Do we have to do the OS update via a supported Mac each time an update is released? Or have I somehow jacked it up? Works fine otherwise for the last 1.5 months in 10.15.3.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I was under the impression this method allowed for software updates via Software Update in the System preferences. Not happening for me. Do we have to do the OS update via a supported Mac each time an update is released? Or have I somehow jacked it up? Works fine otherwise for the last 1.5 months in 10.15.3.
With a MP5,1, you only update Catalina with a VM, since MP5,1 is actively blocked from any updates. Use raw-disk + Fusion again or better, convert your install to OpenCore.

Reactions: jeffhalmos

jeffhalmos

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2002
With a MP5,1, you only update Catalina with a VM, since MP5,1 is actively blocked from any updates. Use raw-disk + Fusion again or better, convert your install to OpenCore.
Can also use another mac if you have a supported one and pull the drive for updates
That's what I resorted to. Not yet ready to step into OpenCore. Need much more contiguous time for that.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
What I did was to use the DosDude1's patcher. Doing the post install process isn't needed. Version 1.3.3 of his patcher is perfect

My Mac Pro 5,1 already has the Metal compliant video card and an upgraded bluetooth/wifi module.

caliguy1965

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Hi all, my Mac Pro5,1 (Early 2009) with a Radeon RX 560 4 GB graphics card has been running Mojave 10.14.6 perfectly, without any issues at all since I installed it with the help of this forum a while back.
I am now tempted to install Catalina since it is running without issues from what I understand and have a few questions:

1. Is Catalina worth installing (assuming it is running without any issues) on my Mac Pro or just stick with Maverick?
2. How difficult is it to install Catalina....is there a guide on how to do it?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

UpgradeMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
Korea
Hi.

I am using Mac Pro (Mid 2010).
I am using the RX580(8G) Graphics card.
I am using macOS Mojave.

I want to use Catalina.
So I saw this thread and followed it.
* If you install Catalina with a supported Mac then move the drive to your MP5,1 (with a METAL supported GPU) *

01) Boot macOS Mojave from MP5,1

02) Install macOS Mojave USB Boot

03) Terminal : csrutil disable

04) Terminal : nvram boot-args = "-no_compat_check"

05) Boot macOS Mojave from MP5,1

06) Check csrutil & nvram

07) MP5,1 shutdown

08) Connect SATA SSD to MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) via USB

09) macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266) installation

10) MacBook Pro Shutdown

11) Connect SATA SSD to MP5,1 and boot

12) macOS Mojave from MP5,1 - System Preferences - Startup Disk - Select macOS Catalina(SATA SSD) - Restart

13) Success! macOS Catalina boot from MP5,1!

14) But...Impossible App Store

15) System preference Apple ID login success

16) But...But...Impossible App Store

*Questions!
MP5,1 with Catalina
Is it impossible to download the application through the App Store?

Reactions: caliguy1965

caliguy1965

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Hi.

I am using Mac Pro (Mid 2010).
I am using the RX580(8G) Graphics card.
I am using macOS Mojave.

I want to use Catalina.
So I saw this thread and followed it.
* If you install Catalina with a supported Mac then move the drive to your MP5,1 (with a METAL supported GPU) *

01) Boot macOS Mojave from MP5,1

02) Install macOS Mojave USB Boot

03) Terminal : csrutil disable

04) Terminal : nvram boot-args = "-no_compat_check"

05) Boot macOS Mojave from MP5,1

06) Check csrutil & nvram

07) MP5,1 shutdown

08) Connect SATA SSD to MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) via USB

09) macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266) installation

10) MacBook Pro Shutdown

11) Connect SATA SSD to MP5,1 and boot

12) macOS Mojave from MP5,1 - System Preferences - Startup Disk - Select macOS Catalina(SATA SSD) - Restart

13) Success! macOS Catalina boot from MP5,1!

14) But...Impossible App Store

15) System preference Apple ID login success

16) But...But...Impossible App Store

*Questions!
MP5,1 with Catalina
Is it impossible to download the application through the App Store?

Thank you for the response.
I don't think I can get a hold of a newer Mac and have
no way to connect my internal SSD through a USB unfortunately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.