Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manielli

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Hi,

I have successfully managed to install latest Catalina 10.15.4 on a RAID set (Amfeltec gen 3 PCIe carrier board with Sabrent NVMe SSDs) using VMware method. However I can't login with my Apple ID to mac app store similar to what has been reported in an earlier post #821. Anyone with the same issue or any suggestions?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Use Dosdude’s program - solved
This thread doesn't pertain to patched installs, as they present their own issues and incompatibility issues.

I myself am preparing to upgrade, I held off for a while but gonna give in now. I will have to look into OpenCore for updates, hopefully it works well.

Reactions: cdf

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
This thread doesn't pertain to patched installs, as they present their own issues and incompatibility issues.

I myself am preparing to upgrade, I held off for a while but gonna give in now. I will have to look into OpenCore for updates, hopefully it works well.
You may translate the hard drive to an supported mac, and udgrade there.

Or meke an update installing over.

For me, the Open Core is very near to patch.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
You may translate the hard drive to an supported mac, and udgrade there.

Or meke an update installing over.

For me, the Open Core is very near to patch.
OpenCore has nothing to do with patching and hacked installs. If anything, it's similar to running over a VM, macOS is running as is, without mods or re-signing.

Reactions: cdf and retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
From my understanding of OpenCore, it's just an emulation that allows updates to be sent to the MP. The actual OS install is not modified.

Given that these things are already fragile, I would not want to plug the MP hard drive into another machine in the off chance it would mess with my setup. Might be a bit harder, but hard and safe is better than easy and risky, in this case.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
From my understanding of OpenCore, it's just an emulation that allows updates to be sent to the MP
OpenCore is a boot loader similar to Clover. But unlike Clover it can be used safely on cMP. The VMM flag as a setting in the config file emulates "virtual machine" state so that the update of Catalina can work similar to this method except it does not require actual virtual machine.

Reactions: tommy chen

manielli

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Are you out of Vmware now or are you still inside?

I am out of virtual machine. I have a graphics card with boot screen capability. So I did everything with that. After successful installation of Catalina in VM, booted Mac Pro into recovery, changed boot-args, restarted to boot screen, held control and clicked on the Macintosh Raid drive having Catalina (did the process 3 4 times). Turned off, switched back to the RX580 I have , everything booted up well into Catalina. Then I wanted to start downloading my previous purchased apps when I noticed I can't sign in to the App Store. I enter a wrong password, it gives the error of wrong password and such, but when I put the right credentials, the sign in goes away as a successful sign in would, but then I won't show me signed in.

Last edited:

manielli

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
I did a bit of reading and used some of the solutions that have worked for others, like holding shift and opening Mac Store, or deleting the cache folders and such with no luck...
I booted Catalina in VM, there I could sign in and download everything. Everything worked fine. Booted back to Catalina out of VM, the same issue. This time shows me as signed in, but anything I try to download and update, asks for Apple ID password, once I enter my password nothing happens.

In this process I learned with VMware procedure of Installing Catalina on a RAID boot drive, the SIP or system integrity protection needs to remain disabled. I had gone into recovery mode and had re-enabled it before doing my updates through VM, and my RAID having Catalina wasn't booting up. It would abruptly power off everytime I turned on the Mac pro. Went back to recovery, re-enabled it, checked to see the boot-args was in NVRAM and rebooted. Catalina booted fine after that. I only have the App Store issue. Which my guess is it's because even app updates are actively blocked the same way major updates are blocked.

Last edited:

jimithing1

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Having an issue installing the latest Catalina update onto my MP 5.1 HD. I took the HD out of my 5.1 to connect it externally to my wifes 2019 MacBook Pro. Booted into my HD to install the update. Update starts to install and about 5 minutes in I get “macOS could not be installed on this drive”. Any ideas now on how to solve this?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Having an issue installing the latest Catalina update onto my MP 5.1 HD. I took the HD out of my 5.1 to connect it externally to my wifes 2019 MacBook Pro. Booted into my HD to install the update. Update starts to install and about 5 minutes in I get “macOS could not be installed on this drive”. Any ideas now on how to solve this?

She probably has a T2 based MBP and you need to disable security to install on external drive and then enable security back after youre done.

Ondřej Zdobinský

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
Hello,
I have a problem, can’t boot my MB 5,1. 2x X5690.

1.) I backuped AirPortBrcm4331.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
I put it on my Desktop and Flashdrive.

2.) I downloaded Mojave Installation, created Mojave USB with

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

3.) I took out SATA Mojave SSD from bay 1 and second SSD from bay 2 (I have Windows 7 installed in Bay 2), no other drives -> Mac booted from USB.

4.) I booted from Mojave USB. (from step 2)
> Disabled SIP with csrutil disable in terminal.
> nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" to change boot-args. (Nothing happed as answer.)
> Enabled SIP csrutil enable

5.) Put my SATA Mojave SSD to SATA-USB adapter. Boot it from my Macbook Pro 2012.

6.) Downloaded and updated from Mojave to Catalina on My MBP to SATA SSD. No clean instal.

7.) Put SATA SSD back to my MP 5,1. Can't boot. Black screen. I have Vega 64 instaled and RX 580 instaled. Each one to one display. Ill try with GT120.

Ondřej Zdobinský

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
Hello,
I have a problem, can’t boot my MB 5,1. 2x X5690.

1.) I backuped AirPortBrcm4331.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
I put it on my Desktop and Flashdrive.

2.) I downloaded Mojave Installation, created Mojave USB with

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

3.) I took out SATA Mojave SSD from bay 1 and second SSD from bay 2 (I have Windows 7 installed in Bay 2), no other drives -> Mac booted from USB.

4.) I booted from Mojave USB. (from step 2)
> Disabled SIP with csrutil disable in terminal.
> nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" to change boot-args. (Nothing happed as answer.)
> Enabled SIP csrutil enable

5.) Put my SATA Mojave SSD to SATA-USB adapter. Boot it from my Macbook Pro 2012.

6.) Downloaded and updated from Mojave to Catalina on My MBP to SATA SSD. No clean instal.

7.) Put SATA SSD back to my MP 5,1. Can't boot. Black screen. I have Vega 64 instaled and RX 580 instaled. Each one to one display. Ill try with GT120.

I booted from Mojave Install USB, with no SATA drives in Mac (step 4) - I thought it works the same as recovery. Or not?

Should I have booted to recovery on my old Mojave SATA SSD and use nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"?

Should I boot to USB Mojave Install with Catalina SATA SSD in and use nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"? I don't know if I till can with RX 580 without boots screen and GT120 (I think it will not boot to Mojave USB). I can easy boot from Mojave USB only without SATA drives.

I appreciate any suggestions.

edit: still no luck. I’ve been trying to fix it whole day.

- Reinstalled clean Catalina to the SATA SSD connect via USB-SATA adapter from my MBP2012. Put back to Mac Pro. No boot. Just chime. Black screen. Mac turns off immediately if I press of power button again.

- Boot from USB Mojave Install disk, did nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" with SIP disabled. Put Clean Catalina SATA SSD back in. Same. No boot.

- Added Mac-F221BEC8 to SupportedBoardIds and added MacPro5,1 to SupportedModelProperties in System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist and in Volume/Preboot/xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
a.) I tried to boot it. Mojave update to Catalina SATA SSD connected to MBP via SATA-USB adapter.
b.) Second try. I did with clean Catalina SATA SSD created with SATA-USB adapter connected to MBP.
Still same result. Chime. Black screen with my RX580.

I can boot DosDude Catalina USB. I can boot Mojave USB. I can restore Time Machine back up and boot from SATA SSD back to Mojave. Same SSD. Same SATA port in bay1. Same RX580.

I must be missing something trivial. Thanks for advice.

Last edited:

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I installed Catalina on external SSD using my 2014 mac mini and tried to do "-no_compat_check" on my 2009 4.1-5.1 cMP (with osx mojave on pcie nvme drive) to boot the Catalina drive.....got error message as I forgot to disable SIP......tried to boot into Recovery but failed and got black screen instead.....restarted mac but same black screen.....installed my clone SATA ssd and was able to boot into it after nvram reset....the nvme drive appears normal in disk utility.....turned off mac and retried to boot into nvme drive but not successful despite twice nvram reset....neither can I boot into Recovery.....reinstalled my clone and able to boot after nvram reset.....now I see the nvme drive in Finder but not in the 'startup' disk list..... the drive appears to be normal in DriveDx.

I'll appreciate if you can help restore my cMP

Update: I tried to reinstall Mojave on nvme drive but failed ....it stalled with black screen after first restart as the installer initiated the process.

Krishna

Last edited:

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I erased the nvme drive and cloned my SATA drive on it using CCC, did the SMC and NVRAM reset (held the buttons till x3 bongs), I am able to select the nvme drive in startup and boot on to it but still not able to boot into Recovery with command+R, I see the Recovery partion on both nvme and my SATA drives in terminal with diskutil list command.

I am using MSI RX580 (https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-580-rx-580-8g/p/N82E16814137135?Item=N82E16814137135)

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I erased the nvme drive and cloned my SATA drive on it using CCC, did the SMC and NVRAM reset (held the buttons till x3 bongs), I am able to select the nvme drive in startup and boot on to it but still not able to boot into Recovery with command+R, I see the Recovery partion on both nvme and my SATA drives in terminal with diskutil list command.

I am using MSI RX580 (https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-580-rx-580-8g/p/N82E16814137135?Item=N82E16814137135)
That's the reason. Your GPU doesn't support native boot. I will remain black.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I have booted into Recovery many times in the past successfully using command+R with Mojave on nvme drive and this specific gpu
Not all cloning apps clone Recovery partition correctly. Do a clean install to your NVMe drive and confirm it's working correctly.

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for suggestion, I have the Mojave installer file saved. I tried to reinstall over my previously corrupt Mojave partition unsuccessfully. Will erase the nvme drive again and try fresh install instead of ccc.

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I wiped the nvme drive and tried to install Mojave but the process stalls with black screen after first restart. Tried on another ssd installed in the SATA bay but same result. I have used this installer in past successfully. I had downloaded it from appstore last year when it was still available. Tried to get Internet Recovery with option+command+R but same black screen. Booted into my sata ssd after nvram reset.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I wiped the nvme drive and tried to install Mojave but the process stalls with black screen after first restart. Tried on another ssd installed in the SATA bay but same result. I have used this installer in past successfully. I had downloaded it from appstore last year when it was still available. Tried to get Internet Recovery with option+command+R but same black screen. Booted into my sata ssd after nvram reset.
First Mac Pro to have Internet Recovery is late-2013 Mac Pro.

If your installer is old, you have to go back the system clock to before October 2019, or you will get certificates invalid error.

If your BootROM is older than 144.0.0.0.0, you have to install Sierra (no BootROM upgrade needed), then High Sierra (needs MP51.0089.B00), then Mojave (needs 144.0.0.0.0).

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
My BootRom is 144.0.0.0.0, I followed your instructions in past when I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave last year. Everything was running fine till I screwed up by trying to get Catalina without SIP disable (read my post 840)

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
If your installer is old, you have to go back the system clock to before October 2019, or you will get certificates invalid error.
How to know if Mojave installer is old? I downloaded from app store last summer before Apple switched to Catalina. I didn't get any invalid error certificate. Once I started the installer app it asked me choose the drive and restarted and after restart it just hung over with black screen. How do I go back on 'system clock'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.