Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
How to know if Mojave installer is old? I downloaded from app store last summer before Apple switched to Catalina. I didn't get any invalid error certificate. Once I started the installer app it asked me choose the drive and restarted and after restart it just hung over with black screen. How do I go back on 'system clock'?
Downloaded before the signing certificate expiration date, certificates expired October 24. Apple re-issued all the macOS installers around this date.

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I found a link that opened the Mojave download window in app store and I successfully downloaded the installer and was able to install fresh Mojave on my drive however still not able to boot into Recovery with command+R

Dashboard007

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
HI tsialex,

I did just a clean installation from my MacBook Pro on a SSD then put it in my Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010- , open recovery mode, format my Nv2 disk, and boot from my SSD - then I use a disk cloner, and ready to rock and roll. but now I can sign in on Apple Store, just doesn't let me use it, also iMessage and FaceTime, I can't download music, its like I can do nothing other than 3rd party apps. it runs, I am using a RX 5700 XT GPU, frames up 108. fast.
Internet connection through wire. up to 600k - fast.

Am I missing something? any assistance on why I can download Mac App Store?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
HI tsialex,

I did just a clean installation from my MacBook Pro on a SSD then put it in my Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010- , open recovery mode, format my Nv2 disk, and boot from my SSD - then I use a disk cloner, and ready to rock and roll. but now I can sign in on Apple Store, just doesn't let me use it, also iMessage and FaceTime, I can't download music, its like I can do nothing other than 3rd party apps. it runs, I am using a RX 5700 XT GPU, frames up 108. fast.
Internet connection through wire. up to 600k - fast.

Am I missing something? any assistance on why I can download Mac App Store?
Maybe your BootROM is problematic and is missing hardwareIDs. If it works with 10.14.5 and not with 10.14.6 + Security Update 2020-003/Catalina, your Mac Pro having BootROM corruption is probably causing the authentication problems.

Try to reset the NVRAM three times sequentially with a wired keyboard, letting go just when you hear the fourth chime.

BubbaMc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
- Problems found so far:
  • Apple native support for NVIDIA Kepler GPUs: People are reporting that DisplayPort output don't work anymore

Can confirm DisplayPort doesn't work.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this issue yet? GTX680 flashed btw.

Also - another interesting problem I had is the keyboard LEDs stopped working (num lock, caps lock etc).

• Sad
Reactions: Petri Krohn

BubbaMc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
So what's the cheapest card on the used market that's suitable for Catalina? I'll never need strong 3D performance, and I don't care about boot screens.

RX 560? Do all MSI models work?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
So what's the cheapest card on the used market that's suitable for Catalina? I'll never need strong 3D performance, and I don't care about boot screens.

RX 560? Do all MSI models work?
RX 460 or RX 560, yes. People in the past reported problems with 2GB models, so look for 4GB only.

Last edited:

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
It works with HDMI, but not DisplayPort. My GTX680 is already flashed.
My 680gtx is a 2gb reference card, actually i have a couple of them. They have been flashed with the mac edition rom and the display port works, as well as all the other ports, with both mojave 14.6 and catalina 15.4

Last edited:
Reactions: Petri Krohn

Dashboard007

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Maybe your BootROM is problematic and is missing hardwareIDs. If it works with 10.14.5 and not with 10.14.6 + Security Update 2020-003/Catalina, your Mac Pro having BootROM corruption is probably causing the authentication problems.

Try to reset the NVRAM three times sequentially with a wired keyboard, letting go just when you hear the fourth chime.

So I did what you suggested, reset NVRAM, and my computer won't boot up anymore. I thought it was the video card, but no, I try my RX480, it works only now with High Sierra, I did another clean installation, but this time it does the same, gets stock in the booting process, and it turns off.
Its not power issues, because I had tested with a GeForce RTX 2070 Super and Windows, no issues.
Do you think that doing NVRAM , blocked booting an OS from USB?

I don't know what to do now.. Help

Dashboard007

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
So I did what you suggested, reset NVRAM, and my computer won't boot up anymore. I thought it was the video card, but no, I try my RX480, it works only now with High Sierra, I did another clean installation, but this time it does the same, gets stock in the booting process, and it turns off.
Its not power issues, because I had tested with a GeForce RTX 2070 Super and Windows, no issues.
Do you think that doing NVRAM , blocked booting an OS from USB?

I don't know what to do now.. Help
Also, I just installed from scratch Mac OS Mojave, from a USB, GPU RX 480. No issues,
But when I try to do instal Catalina from a HD/ using Command +R. I get the sound of booting, but then nothing and it turns off.

Is there a command that I am missing, some SUDO command? or Apple blocked my Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010?

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Boot into Recovery and add again nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"

What you get is the prohibited sign and then mac shuts off. You will not see the sign due to no Bootscreen GPU

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
. . . . or Apple blocked my Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010?

apple blocked all cMP after mojave

and the args macschrauber wrote working for a final installed catalina,
but not for the installer - you need dosdude patch or better opencore

and please READ the first post!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dashboard007

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Hi, so far it's working with no problems. It does updates, etc.
No my issue is , How do I instal windows 10 on this Mac? , any ideas?
I have a WIN10DVD Original COPY. BootCamp doesn't work, I had removed the HD and put a blank into my Mac, and the DVD. When I turn the Mac on, the disk spins but nothing on the screen,
Could it be that AMD RX5700XT Card is not compatible with windows ? or the Booting Screen doesn't work?
Help me please. thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Could it be that AMD RX5700XT Card is not compatible with windows ? or the Booting Screen doesn't work?
RX 5700XT is not MacEFI or CSM compatible and don't have pre-boot configuration support with a MP5,1.

You have to use OpenCore and install Windows via UEFI. Read about it on the OpenCore thread.

paul579

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2020
Hi.

I am using Mac Pro (Mid 2010).
I am using the RX580(8G) Graphics card.
I am using macOS Mojave.

I want to use Catalina.
So I saw this thread and followed it.
* If you install Catalina with a supported Mac then move the drive to your MP5,1 (with a METAL supported GPU) *

01) Boot macOS Mojave from MP5,1

02) Install macOS Mojave USB Boot

03) Terminal : csrutil disable

04) Terminal : nvram boot-args = "-no_compat_check"

05) Boot macOS Mojave from MP5,1

06) Check csrutil & nvram

07) MP5,1 shutdown

08) Connect SATA SSD to MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) via USB

09) macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266) installation

10) MacBook Pro Shutdown

11) Connect SATA SSD to MP5,1 and boot

12) macOS Mojave from MP5,1 - System Preferences - Startup Disk - Select macOS Catalina(SATA SSD) - Restart

13) Success! macOS Catalina boot from MP5,1!

14) But...Impossible App Store

15) System preference Apple ID login success

16) But...But...Impossible App Store

*Questions!
MP5,1 with Catalina
Is it impossible to download the application through the App Store?
My app store is hanging on a test plain Catalina 10.15.5 USB, OpenCore 0.5.9 EFI with and without adjusting config.plist to allow Catalina install and/or updates on MacPro5,1, no luck finding anything yet

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
My app store is hanging on a test plain Catalina 10.15.5 USB, OpenCore 0.5.9 EFI with and without adjusting config.plist to allow Catalina install and/or updates on MacPro5,1, no luck finding anything yet
AppStore hanging is usually caused by the videos, you need a METAL supported GPU.

If you have one GPU that is officially supported by Catalina, maybe you don't have enough hardwareIDs on your BootROM to correctly identify you Mac, you can eliminate this possibility testing if you can log to iMessage, if you can, it's something else.

paul579

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2020
AppStore hanging is usually caused by the videos, you need a METAL supported GPU.

If you have one GPU that is officially supported by Catalina, maybe you don't have enough hardwareIDs on your BootROM to correctly identify you Mac, you can eliminate this possibility testing if you can log to iMessage, if you can, it's something else.
Thanks, yes all is fine in Mojave with the Metal GPU Sapphire Pulse, but nonEFI, and same information is shown in Catalina, if that matters. iMessages works (I think) in Mojave and Catalina, I don't have an iPhone and turned iMessages off on all computers because it was "stealing" messages sent by my iphone friends to my android phone.
Radeon RX 580:
Chipset Model: Radeon RX 580
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 8 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00e7
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Are all of you here spared from the ”watchdog timeout” Kernel Panic that can occur when waking from sleep?
Maybe you never sleep your computer?

I'm on Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021) and still have those on my MacPro5,1 – same as I posted about previously in this thread: #734

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Can confirm DisplayPort doesn't work.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this issue yet? GTX680 flashed btw.

Also - another interesting problem I had is the keyboard LEDs stopped working (num lock, caps lock etc).
I use two Atlona DP-400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.