Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacShrine posts some unrevealing screenshots from a beta of Microsoft Office 11 for the Mac, which is expected to be announced at MacWorld Expo.

The shots simply reveal application sizes as well as the installer up to the Serial Number request (hmmm).

Of potentially more interest is the What's New in Office 11 document which provides some limited notes on "What's new in Office 11".

Microsoft is expected to announce both Office 11 and Virtual PC 7 at MacWorld... though based on the most recent hints, shipment of the final product is not expected for a few months.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Damn, I just spent a few hundred bucks getting Mac Office v.X

If it runs faster (ie: optimized for the G5) I'll get an upgrade, but otherwise I won't.

--Waluigi

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Interesting that it's officially Office:Mac 11, but the Setup Assistant says 2004 in a tiny font underneath "Office:Mac" (and no "11") in the yellow thing at the top. Is this normal? I thought Office 2004 was just the Windows version.

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
Honestly, what's the point?

Office X works perfectly fine, and 99% of us dont use 99% of the program as it is.

And even on my G4 867, the suite is quite fast enough. I am sure it is lightning fast on a G5 even without optimized code. It is Word, not Final Cut Pro here :)

No need to upgrade, as I see it.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Seems like Microsoft is kind of inconsistent with the actual name of this new version. I'd get it, but I just spent $150 of v.X only a few months ago and so far I have had in reinstall it twice and I still have errors when opening saved files with it so I am not sure if I want to buy another version anytime soon.

warcraftmaster

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2003
here
i want the new msn

i want to see the new msn
i hope its like msn 6 for wintel
i wish i could use ichat but i know no one with it:rolleyes:

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Well, you may think the pics are unrevealing, but they're revealing to me. I see that at least the next version of Office for Macs will not simply be the Windows version, requiring VPC to run. But don't think it couldn't happen next time.

I know, I know. I'm too paranoid.

. . .Yeah, whatever. :p

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
If Microsoft did stop making a native Mac version of Office, I'd say that would definitely mean that Apple will be coming out with a new Office suite program of their own since they'd have lots of upset Mac users who just won't accept Appleworks 6 as is.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
DVD?

Notice in the screenshot where you put the Product Key that it refers to the "back of the DVD case." If this is for real I guess we can assume the Office will ship on DVD rather than CD this time around...

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
there could be several version Mac OS X nows ships on a DVD too aswell as a CD

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
What version of Mac OS or "Get Info" command are they using anyway?
I dont see the stripes, which are still visible in Panther...

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
looks fake to me. MSoft isnt that behind to not copy right the thing up to current date.

bluedalmatian

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2003
Great Britain
I suspect this is going to be another typical MS upgrade where they expect people to pay a huge upgrade fee for what amounts to just a handful of bug fixes and nothing else.

Nobdoby will buy it as a result, then they can claim sales are non -existent and it gives them a perfect excuse to discontinue it.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
NEWS FLASH to MacShrine: Post us something we will care about it, then we'll come back. I don't think anybody cares about how big the applications are. :rolleyes:

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by mac15
there could be several version Mac OS X nows ships on a DVD too aswell as a CD
No, it doesn't. Macs with DVD drives come with Restore DVDs, instead of a big stack of CDs, but (my copy of) Panther came with exactly four discs in the box: three OS install CDs and an "Xcode Tools" CD.

WM

Sailfish

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2003
MS Office?, no thanks.

Appleworks opens in about half a second, costs only $80, contains no macro viruses or exploits and won't call home all the time and require a phone call when I upgrade equipment and transfer the software.

Since version 6.2 now reads and writes Excel files, if by rare chance I get one there will be no problem.

Please Steve, give us Mac users a professional level iOffice suite.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by Awimoway
Word v. X lists 1983-2001. I don't know why, but it seems to be normal.

It is normal in so far that the original Office X has been released in 2001.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.