Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Why do you need to know people with iChat? Out of the 30 some people on my list, only two others actually use iChat.
i have a feeling he meant that no one uses ichat as in AIM, which is probably why he used MSN.

iJon

Garry

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
More interestly, the "What's New" document contains the word 'Compatibly.' That seems a very odd word for an official Microsoft document to use.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
I'd like to see a new ver. of Office that is not only faster on G5s but on G4s as well. Word runs reasonably well on my 1GHz 12" PowerBook but when working with large docs (200+ page with tables and formatting) it's a fair bit slower than it was on my 1GHz Athlon (the computer that I "switched" from).

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Right now, the biggest paper I have done in Word has been about 55 pages and it still ran reasonably fast, but that was under OS 9 with Office 98. With Office v.X under OS X, the biggest document I've written has been 42 pages and it is fast to open and scroll, it just takes a few moments time to finish its word count and spelling/grammar check. The thing I want to see done is improved stability. So far, only two things have ever crashed or given me a kernal panic on OS X. AOL gave me two kernal panics when I signed on to cancel my account after getting .Mac and Office gave me one when I first installed it and opened Word for the first time. Since then, the only program that has ever given me errors has been Office. Everytime I open a saved document in Word or try opening Powerpoint or Entourage, I get an error trying to initialize "Framework X" and it quits with an error report box. The only way I can work on saved files is to actually open Word first and then clicking open and then navigating to my saved files for some reason. If Microsoft finally can improve that stability program, I'd be happy. I have about 22 gigs of programs and other stuff on my HD and so far it's the only thing to ever give me such a headache.

jwhitnah

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
WI
Originally posted by Stike
Looks fake to me.
Office 11, Copyright Microsoft 2001 ???
Yeah, right! :D :p

Exactly. With each NEW version, the copyright reflects its release date. Not only that, for EVERY NEW version the icons for each application (eg powderpoint, werd) change. These icons look unchanged to me. Looks fake. Hopefully they will release a new update soon (1/5/04!). Office XP (don't have 2003) was a welcome improvement and in my opinion, it is easier to use than Office X.

blumie607

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by FredAkbar
Interesting that it's officially Office:Mac 11, but the Setup Assistant says 2004 in a tiny font underneath "Office:Mac" (and no "11") in the yellow thing at the top. Is this normal? I thought Office 2004 was just the Windows version.

Actually, Office 2003 is the new version for Windows. The new version for Mac is usually some even number so it might be Office 2004 or it might be Office 11 (after Office 10 or X for Mac).

Also, it says unpublished work, so MS might decide to come out with a consistent naming scheme before the product ships.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by blumie607
The new version for Mac is usually some even number so it might be Office 2004 or it might be Office 11

Thanks for the head's up, I didn't realize 11 was an even number. ;) :p

kidA

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by jwhitnah
Exactly. With each NEW version, the copyright reflects its release date. Not only that, for EVERY NEW version the icons for each application (eg powderpoint, werd) change. These icons look unchanged to me. Looks fake.
the icons change everytime? really? the icons for the windows version have looked the same for years. now that they've got nice icons, why not just keep them?

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by snahabed
Honestly, what's the point?

Office X works perfectly fine, and 99% of us dont use 99% of the program as it is.

And even on my G4 867, the suite is quite fast enough. I am sure it is lightning fast on a G5 even without optimized code. It is Word, not Final Cut Pro here :)

No need to upgrade, as I see it.

For you, maybe. Personally, I can't live without *REAL* Unicode support in my word processor, and Nisus doesn't cut it as a word processor. (Haven't tried Mellel yet).

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by kidA
the icons change everytime? really? the icons for the windows version have looked the same for years. now that they've got nice icons, why not just keep them?
Actually, that's wrong. The icons for Office on Windows change pretty much every time: I think the smallest change was from 2000 to XP; if you compare the 2003 icons with the XP ones, you'll see what I mean.

Personally, I see no evidence from anything on the site posted that I would consider reliable. Looks mostly like a lot of photoshopping to me.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Garry
More interestly, the "What's New" document contains the word 'Compatibly.' That seems a very odd word for an official Microsoft document to use.
Look at the HTML of the document. Now compare that with the HTML of the Mactopia site. That should tell you all you need to know about the genuineness of this stuff.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by tny
Look at the HTML of the document. Now compare that with the HTML of the Mactopia site. That should tell you all you need to know about the genuineness of this stuff.

Followed your advice, and you're right - the HTML code speaks for itself. This is fake. Thank you very much. :cool:

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Originally posted by Stike
What version of Mac OS or "Get Info" command are they using anyway?
I dont see the stripes, which are still visible in Panther...

They could be using Unsanity's ShapeShifter.

nspeds

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2002
These screens seem like the biggest load of crap I've ever seen.

MS better put some real improvements in this Office. Office 2003 is really good, the Outlook application is excellent. If they could just mimick that interface in Entourage I would be happy.

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by sleepy_dog
I would like to know what "full Exchange support" means.

no kidding... they should be stopped LEGALLY from saying "supports Exchange" for ANY version of Entourage. their support for exchange is PATHETIC and they know it. smtp to send mail? hahaha. morons.

if they get it right this time (nothing hints at that) - i'd surely buy 10 or so copies for our machines at work.

as it sits right now, we're using Outlook in OS9. i'd love to stop using Classic... we'll see what they have (if anything) up their sleeves. until then, beware the ole' "Exchange support" line -- they are most likely still lying through their teeth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.