Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
This first pic is the Second Severn Bridge (connecting England and Wales) which is about a mile from my house when I'm not at uni.

This second one is the Southsea War Memorial about a mile from my house when I'm at university.

And this final one is a church in Portsmouth that had its roof destroyed during WW2 and has been left without it as a memorial.

I have more photos on my website, boost my hits! :D

Attachments

• aw_0018_large.jpg
    aw_0018_large.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 170
  • aw_0005_large.jpg
    aw_0005_large.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 121
  • aw_0026_large.jpg
    aw_0026_large.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 130

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Sunspot solar observatory near Cloudcroft, NM

this is in the general neighborhood. Some of the equipment can be operated by remote control, especially at the Apache Observatory (not pictured) and maybe some of you have done research on their machines from a college lab.

Attachments

• Sunspot-collage.jpg
    Sunspot-collage.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 126

Frump

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Germany
Garmisch Germany

Some photos from Garmisch germany.

Attachments

• Werdenfels Kopie.jpg
    Werdenfels Kopie.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Office Window.jpg
    Office Window.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Eibsee02.jpg
    Eibsee02.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Anna Fire Kopie.jpg
    Anna Fire Kopie.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 117

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
... And now the water. I live literally 30 seconds from the Port Hacking River, so between golf and work, and my family, this is where I spend most of my time. There is a picture of my boat in the last photo (in the middle) is mine. Just remember these photos have been taken on a 1 megapixel Kodak. I don't have a really good camera, as I don't see the need for one.

Attachments

• DCP_0028.jpg
    DCP_0028.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DCP_0075.jpg
    DCP_0075.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 102
  • DCP_0078.jpg
    DCP_0078.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 107
  • DCP_0079.jpg
    DCP_0079.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 111

ballookey

macrumors member
May 2, 2004
Los Angeles area: Malibu and Crap-tastic.

Attachments

• malibu.jpg
    malibu.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 117
  • lacraptastic.jpg
    lacraptastic.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 109

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
here is my region; monterey, salinas, pebble beach, big sur...very rural in most areas and thus very little pollution and crime

...and the generally sparse job market that comes with such an area

http://www.monterey.com

we don't have famous people or celebrities from here like the big cities, but we do have one...john steinbeck, and his books have been the single best advertisement for this area

http://www.steinbeck.org

the funny thing is growing up here, we were all required to read his books in school and we thought he was "just this local author" ;)

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
jefhatfield said:
....we don't have famous people or celebrities from here like the big cities, but we do have one...john steinbeck, and his books have been the single best advertisement for this area

http://www.steinbeck.org

the funny thing is growing up here, we were all required to read his books in school and we thought he was "just this local author" ;)

I'm reading East of Eden right now. Reading his books makes me really want to visit that area! :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
latergator116 said:
I'm reading East of Eden right now. Reading his books makes me really want to visit that area! :)

it's funny how that works

tortilla flats is now an industrial area where a mall stands today near a car mall, taco bell, and a gold's gym among other common things

cannery row is a bunch of tourist shops and restaurants and a way to bleed money out of the tourists

only kalisa, queen of cannery row, still has a shop there and the city saved some of the chinese fishermen's dwellings nearby

i have been fascinated by your geographical area...besides a short jr high visit to dc, maryland, and virginia, i have not been to the east coast

i would like to see nyc, new jersey, rhode island, and connecticut because of all the history and culture there...my wife is from that neck of the woods and doesn't want to move back but talks about missing the availability of world class food, culture, and the four seasons...she does not miss the hectic pace of the region and the crime of certain urban centers

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
jefhatfield said:
it's funny how that works

tortilla flats is now an industrial area where a mall stands today near a car mall, taco bell, and a gold's gym among other common things

cannery row is a bunch of tourist shops and restaurants and a way to bleed money out of the tourists

only kalisa, queen of cannery row, still has a shop there and the city saved some of the chinese fishermen's dwellings nearby

i have been fascinated by your geographical area...besides a short jr high visit to dc, maryland, and virginia, i have not been to the east coast

i would like to see nyc, new jersey, rhode island, and connecticut because of all the history and culture there...my wife is from that neck of the woods and doesn't want to move back but talks about missing the availability of world class food, culture, and the four seasons...she does not miss the hectic pace of the region and the crime of certain urban centers

Its Funny you mention that because I just started reading Tortilla Flat today. It is sad to hear that area is built up, but being such a big region, I hope there are still large amounts of land that are untouched.

I have always been facsinated with the Pacific coast (specifically Washington, Oregon, and Northern California), but I have never been west past Chicago.

I would tell you that there is nothing to miss over here, but I may have a biased view since I've been here all my life and am in need of a geographical change (or at least a vacation.) There are some nice places in New England, but I would love to visit the Redwoods or the Sierra Nevedas (to name a few) and see what the west has to offer.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
latergator116 said:
Its Funny you mention that because I just started reading Tortilla Flat today. It is sad to hear that area is built up, but being such a big region, I hope there are still large amounts of land that are untouched.

I have always been facsinated with the Pacific coast

http://www.coastweekly.com is our standard free paper which gives you an idea of the steinbeck area

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
okay, here is the view from the front of our house. in the first pic, that's straight out the front window. that long building you can see in the distance is Brisbane airport. we can sit in the lounge room and watch planes coming and going all day if we want. :D :p (but i've never done that, just for the record. :p)

the second pic is the view to the left-front of the house. there seems to be lots of trees around here...

i'll post some more pics from around Brisbane if i get the chance, and remember to take my camera.

HomeShot01.jpg

HomeShot02.jpg

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
oaklandbum said:
this is the big hill/mountain thing in my area. It's called simi peak. (and yes the colors really looked like that, it was over 90 degrees F)

is that near simi valley in southern cal, or a peak near oakland (bay area)? because if it was 90 degrees, that's hot for the bay area near oakland

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.