Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
I recently got the base model iPad 10 in order to see if I like the iPad as a thing. But, besides the usual apps that I have on my phone, I don't really know what to do with it. šŸ˜…

I don't have the accessories for it (yet?), so no fancy drawing or laptop pseudo-replacement scenarios.

What do you guys use your iPads for? At this point I'm using it as a larger iPhone and that's pretty much it. Sure, it is nice to have apps blown out on the larger screen and see more content, but not sure what should I do with it to make it special.

Any tips or tricks from veteran iPad users?

I already have a Mac, which is my primary work machine and cannot be replaced by the iPad.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I have an 8th Generation iPad myself. Here's what I use it for:

- Reading books.
- Marking up documents with Apple Pencil. I type documents using Microsoft Word, save them as a PDF, and then drag them over to the iPad using Airdrop and mark it up in Books.
- Light web surfing.
- Light video game playing (mostly card games, nothing too taxing).
- As an extra display using Sidecar.

Note: Your Macintosh has to be compatible to use AirDrop or Sidecar. Generally any Mac made since 2012 or later should work.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I have an ipad pro. I use mine to connect to my other systems and administer them, a mac mini server and a Synology NAS. I have a mac mini for work, itā€™s on the desk next to me but I also just remote into it using the ipad, unless Iā€™m actually doing my critical work (LR photo editing), although even that is perfectly possible.

My ipad is generally attached to a monitor for ease of use and so i can use my ā€˜normalā€™ computers easier. Itā€™s also attached to a Magic Keyboard, i just pull it off to use as an ipad when I want to, or just unplug the monitor cable and use as a laptop/ipad combo - iā€™m pretty happy with the whole set up to be honest.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
So far it is nice for consuming content and controlling my home. I'll see how things go.

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Now you get a good knife and use it as a chopping board!

Jokes aside, Iā€™ve got a M2 12.9ā€ pro with keyboard and pencil and as a consultant/ financial-advisor itā€™s about everything I use. Unless I need to login to Citrix, then I need some work windows machine.

But even without all the fancy stuff it still is brilliant for consuming stuff. Reading PDFā€™s, catching up on news, triaging mail, having it beside your mac if your doing boring work with some movie/show on it.
And itā€™s really good at teams/zoom/facetime as well. My windows laptop starts to hover after 10 minutes of teams, my ipad doesnā€™t break a sweat.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I recently got the base model iPad 10 in order to see if I like the iPad as a thing. But, besides the usual apps that I have on my phone, I don't really know what to do with it. šŸ˜…

I don't have the accessories for it (yet?), so no fancy drawing or laptop pseudo-replacement scenarios.

What do you guys use your iPads for? At this point I'm using it as a larger iPhone and that's pretty much it. Sure, it is nice to have apps blown out on the larger screen and see more content, but not sure what should I do with it to make it special.

I already have a Mac, which is my primary work machine and cannot be replaced by the iPad.
same here. I bought the Magic Keyboard and pencil and still barely used it.

I've passed it onto the kids for games and homework and video consumption. i've now got a laptop to replace it which is just a personal/work machine for doing stuff on couch if I want to get away from the home office desktop upstairs.

I found the iPad to cumbersome with the files app and excel was awful which I think was the final straw.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Mine is a drawing tablet that I can free-hand like a sketchbook. That may seem a bit specialized for an entire tablet, but itā€™s also there to fill in a niche that I canā€™t get from a desktop or laptop.

The Magic Keyboard does come in handy for being able to use it like a traditional laptop for day-to-day stuff, like for example me typing this reply. It wouldnā€™t feel nearly as good if I had to type all of this out using a touchscreen keyboard taking up half my screen. And itā€™s rigidā€¦ it doesnā€™t feel like my screen is going to collapse.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Last time I had an iPad (2. Gen) it was for all things a G5 iMac couldn't do outside of its location.

It was great for iTunes, Music, scrolling pics but also couching and taking on holidays. Now days I could theoretically use an iPP around the home but the M2 MBP and 2009 MBP before this are covering all those needs. I unfortunately cannot justify the cost of owning one, concurrent to using a laptop but can see merit having one for travel, couch or balcony use.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I use mine (Air and Pro) for note taking and other more long form writing, sketching/painting, reading, light photo editing in affinity, making music in garage band, web surfing, Spotify, as an additional display from time to timeā€¦

Thatā€™s both for professional purposes as well as personal stuff.
These two iPads individually have replaced my laptop for certain tasks almost entirely. I do use keyboards and the Apple Pencil on them quite frequently, though.

I also have a mini thatā€™s almost exclusively an e-reader.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I bought both a regular case and an inexpensive keyboard case for mine, which lets me use it at home (in the regular case) as an ebook reader/casual surfer, and away from home (in the keyboard case) as a small laptop-like device for the above uses plus things like streaming shows, blogging, editing photos in Pixelmator, FaceTime etc.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
same here. I bought the Magic Keyboard and pencil and still barely used it.

I've passed it onto the kids for games and homework and video consumption. i've now got a laptop to replace it which is just a personal/work machine for doing stuff on couch if I want to get away from the home office desktop upstairs.

I found the iPad to cumbersome with the files app and excel was awful which I think was the final straw.
I really understand what you are saying. The Magic Keyboard is so heavy it makes my 12.9ā€ just as heavy as a 14ā€ MacBook Pro. So I got the folio keyboard. Not brilliant, but much better then typing on screen, a reasonable bit waterproof and not as expensive (But stillā€¦)

With my work-windows-machine I experience the same. Can I do the creative stuff on a windows 2-in-1 with an active pencil? yes I can, but its slow, a bit irritating etc. Because the iPad is so much better. Annotating? My 12.9 is brilliant. Reading documents, scanning trough hundreds of pages of a report, flicking trough newspapers in PDF? iPad 12.9 every day. FaceTime/Zoom/Teams? iPad doesnā€™t break a sweat, but my windows hoovers on my desk, blowing like a furnace. Minute/note/actions keeping during a meeting? iPad any time!
And the best thing ever on a big iPad? Comics! :-D

But the other way around is the same: when you are used to file handling on a desktop (mac or windows) itā€™s more steps and so much more friction on an iPad. Full version of office is so much better on a desktop (even the mac one is a bit crippled).

Horses for courses.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan

Welcome to the world of iPad.

My first iPad was a mini that I used largely for mobile email; better than an iPhone but no replacement for a computer. Once I bought an 11 inch MBA, I rarely touched the iPad.

Today, I use an iPad for specific use only, namely, ForeFlight and network control of hardware such as a video camera or audio mixer.

Other than that, maybe for content consumption, but Iā€™m not into TV or movies so it largely stays in the bag.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I use mine (5th gen Air) for pretty much everything. All the stuff I do on my phone, but on a larger scale (texting, games, websites, instagram, etc.), and also (with the Magic Keyboard), typing documents, printing stuff, banking, watching stuff, reading forums, etc. I also use the pencil for filling out and signing documents as needed, a digital planner, editing/writing on photos or in documents, etc. I suck at all things art/craft, so none of that kinda stuff for me.

I do have an iMac, but since my iPad is always out/on, I use the iPad unless Iā€™m gonna organize photos, make photo books or just want to enjoy having the large screen.

Reactions: G5isAlive

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012

No tricks. There are things that I just prefer to do on the couch with my iPad (gaming, browsing, YouTube, news, banking, shopping). I take it to work for notes, reviewing documents, etc. And when I travel it is my main entertainment system.
Everything can be done on the iPhone or Mac, but for me the iPad has the perfect form factor and screen size to be mobile, yet powerful enough for a lot of tasks. My old man uses it to read teletext news and muck about on Facefook. For you? No idea. Use it and see what your preference is. I suggest browsing on the couch for a starteršŸ˜€

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
i use it to write down everything; most specifically dialysis notes, grocery lists and appointments. While in dialysis, I use Plex to stream from my home library of movies/tv shows.

Control of Apple Music and to create playlists. Weather. Banking. Chess server for an e-board. Shoutcast radios. light photo editing.

Tom

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I have. 12.9 iPad Pro, to go along with my 16 MBP and a AMD/Nvidia Work station. I use it for web based Saas apps, light coding, testing and also anything that needs free hand notes. I do occasionally use it as consumption device. I find iPad Pro more portable than my MBP or even MBA. Itā€™s just fun device to use, while being part of my workflow. I also do use GitHub code reviews on my iPad Pro.

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
I have a iPad 9 which I mainly use on weekends and when I have a day off from work I use it to read play games watch movies etc I like used it at home šŸ  but the only drawback is my battery is just not holding up any more so I do have to plug it in a lot but that is fine as I use it only at home šŸ‘šŸ»

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.