Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
...continuing from the other thread:

Dark Castle was another fine one. Can't find a screenshot of the orig either. It just wasn't quite the same when they made it color (and lowered the resolution) for other platforms (IIgs version below):

darkcastleshot2.gif

...it seems DeltaTao is still pushing it along (looks nice, released sometime in the future)...

blakespot

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Wow, I remember this. The b/w version was much better. And combat was great, throw rocks to kill the bad guys. Ah, those were the days.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Man, the number of hours I spent playing Dark castle on the Mac Pluses at school... yeah, that has to be one of the greatest games ever!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The sad thing I realized this morning is that there are people who want old software. When ever I've upgraded, moved on to a new machine, I've gotten rid of anything that was obsolete.

Damn, if I could show you the piles of floppies I've tossed. I wish I had known. I still might have one or two interesting things laying around, I'll have to check.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I amazingly (and I was like 12 at the time) threw out about 300 floppies I had for my Apple //c when I sold it. I went to a Mac 128 (and immediately thereafter to an Amiga 1000) and stood on the beach at my house and tossed all of the floppes out to into the water like frisbees. I have no idea what I was thinking. I found floppes here and there all over that region over the next 2 years. No doubt a seagull somewhere withered and died with its head stuck through the hole of one of those 5.25" disks...

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
MYST still was the most immersive game I've ever played. I solved it in a straight-marathon playing session with my girlfriend at the time. I bought a CD drive for my 486-66 back then to play MYST. It took us 17 hours.

Quite the fine game.

blakespot

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
There is no 'best all time game'. Its all relative. Everyone's going to have their favorite, but there are some games that came along and changed gaming, those are the ones you should honor. Personally, I loved Myst when it came out, couldn't get over the visuals they were so sweet. And I loved Myth, that was a damn cool game. I was really dissappointed with Myth III (Bungie didn't produce it). But what really got me was when Bungie was bought by MS to produce XBox games. They totally redid Halo, which would have been the most amazing game to come out of their studio had they stayed in Chicago and kept the original game design and format. Bungie also did the Marathon series, all Mac games, very cool. I also like Civ as well. But I don't really have much time for games these days.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I have a copy of Photoshop 1.0.7...not from floppy or anything...I found it on the net last year...

anyone want to see what it's all about....well rather what it's not....can let me know... :p

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
I love classic software!

I still play Castle Wolfenstein (original version), Lode Runner, Dig Dug, and a ton of other games on my IIe every once in a while. Its so much fun!

There's just something about those old games that I love.

Any of you guys into emulation?

Matthew

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Finest Games List

Some really fine games that I recall throughout the years (and the machine I first played it on):

Conan (Apple II)
Rescue Raiders (Apple II)
Karateka (Apple II)
Airheart (Apple II)
Wishbringer (Infocom, Amiga)
Marble Madness (Amiga)
Defender of the Crown (Amiga)
Time Bandit (Atari ST)
StarGlider (Atari ST)
Airball (Atari ST)
Shadow of the Beast (Amiga) (for the visuals/audio only)
MYST (PC)
DOOM (PC)

Just off the top of my head.

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Oh, another fine game that I first played on a Mac II back in 87, I think it was, when the Mac II came out was Crystal Quest. I loved that game. I've currently got it on my Apple IIgs (the version described in the link there) and the Amiga. It may have been the first color Mac game. I must get this for the Mac Plus.

crystalshot1.gif

blakespot

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
On System 7 I used to play games such as Artillery 2.0.1, Moria (I think), and PowerPoker. I also used to play a version of Breakout that basically had one level over and over, but it was real neat, so many options you could choose from. However, because these old computers started to get bugged out, my father erased the hard drive, and removed these games!

Well, at least I have my Sigma Chess and Cocothello for OS X.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Speaking of disks, old software and System 7... I still have System 7 on disks. It's sitting on my bookshelf in front of me, boxed, with manuals... damn, why didn't they just put it on a CD? ;)

Actually, something that I've been thinking about is the 5 (yes, five) restore CDs my QAg came with. Why didn't they just put all that on a DVD? I guess because not all the QAgs come with DVD drives, but still...

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Well, I managed to get AppleTalk (LocalTalk) going. I installed the Stealth Serial Port in my G4, established a connection between the G4 (under OS 9) and my Apple IIgs. I formatted a HFS floppy under GS/OS (I have the HFS File System Translator) and moved some old Mac games to the IIgs via LocalTalk, wrote them onto the floppy, and threw it into the Mac Plus. (Need some more software to get LocalTalk to the Mac Plus going). The result...

dc.jpg

blakespot

taliesin

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2002
CA
Moldie Oldie

I still have the disks and package for Hitchikers guide to the galaxy. I am afraid to put the floppy in. Since it is sooooo old.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Moldie Oldie

Originally posted by taliesin
I still have the disks and package for Hitchikers guide to the galaxy. I am afraid to put the floppy in. Since it is sooooo old.

That was a great adventure game. I always had problems getting past the vogons at the beginning. You ever play Adams' Starship Titanic game?

You should try and get the software off the floppies and burn it onto a CD.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
go to Mac Abandonware It's got tons of old games and apps, all categorised and downloadable. I had an Atari ST as my home computer until '97 so I was surprised to see how many of the old Atari classics were also out for the mac at the time. Anyone who loves MacMAME and some of the ambrosia remakes of old titles will love this site.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
The best site by far is http://www.emulation.net for all of your mac emulation needs and info. Richard Bannister has done an outstanding job of maintaining this site - he's been running it for as long as I can remember, and it's one of my favourite places to visit...

One thing I promised myself when I bought a powerful Mac last year was to put aside a couple of hundred megabytes solely for emulation, and retro games. I mean, after all - what's a half-a-gig of disk space between friends nowadays, huh?

So - now, I have (under emulation, and, in some cases, carbonised for OSX) these systems on my Cube...

An Amiga
A Sinclair Spectrum 48K
A Sinclair ZX81
A Commodore 64/128
An Atari 1040ST
An Apple IIGS (Karateka never looked so good!)
A Playstation (just insert the disk - and away you go!)
A Nintendo 64
MacMame (The World's best Arcade emulator! At least5000 games!)
And even a Pentium under Windows 98SE (Does Virtual PC 5 count?)

Yes, yes. I know I'm a sad bastard. And I probably can't let go of the past - but it is a great way of reliving old memories.

So, whenever I want to return to those halcyon days of "Peeks" and "Pokes", of "Gosubs" and "Gotos", of Machine Code and Pascal, then all I have to do is launch an emulator (not forgetting of course to run a nice 1980's Compilation CD using iTunes in the background) whilst chanting - "There's no place like home - there's no place like home...".

Kinda hard to do when you're using a nice new LCD display, though.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.