Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Plymouthbreezer said:
My oldest running Mac is my iMac DV+ 450MHz which was purchased in July 2000. It still sees daily use by my parents, who use it for e-mail and web surfing mainly. It's been upgraded from a 20GB hard drive to a 60GB hard drive, and from 128 MB RAM to 320 MB. The DVD drive it came with was broken by none other than me in April of 2003 (I shoved a business card CD in its slot), but it was later replaced with a CD-ROM drive after I got my G4.

Otherwise, it's still a great machine that could be used as a primary computer if needed.

I'm using a dual 450 MHz. It's my primary computer. The only thing that I've added is RAM. Pleased to see someone that has a Mac that's nine years old.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Have you thought of upgrading? A dual 450mhz was top of the line in it's day, but I think a low-end G5 spanks the G4 like a crazy monkey with a wrench.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
oldest mac: Powerbook Rev D :cool:
oldest computer: Amiga A600 (bought in about 92 i think)
oldest PC: pentium 3 home-built, with a £500 2x CD-RW :eek: as it was in the day

KrysBaz

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2004
Wokingham UK
I'm still the proud owner of a LcII with 4mb of ram, and a 40mb harddrive, still running OS 7, still boots up with "Hello Master" (from Count Duckula - I know, very sad, but I was like 17 when I first got this little baby)
Still able to play Lemmings and write documents on Word, and Claris works.

Have a little trouble with the internal battery going flat, and not booting in coloyr, but other than that still a beauty.

BlackDan

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2004
Belgium
My oldest PC (My dad bought it of course, I was only 12 at the time) was a WANG, don't remember the modelname or number. It had a 8088 processor at 8Mhz, 512K ram and 30Mb HDD (HUGE at the time). The floppy drive was a 5+1/4" 360K model. It came with DOS 2.11 if I remember correctly. Enjoyed it for several years learning how to program GW-BASIC and Turbo Pascal 2.0 on it :rolleyes:

After that I had an Amiga 500+, A 486SX 25Mhz, A p120 (later I replaced the cpu with an IDT winchip 200 MMX). After this a Cel733. And finally my iBook.

The oldest Mac I worked with (wasn't mine) was a classic. Also used an LCII, the original iMAC, a blue iMac and an iMac G4.

( also remember playing a game called choplifter (??) on an apple at a friend's house, must have been 10 or so at the time. It looked like a classic if I remember correctly, it had an amber screen as I recall. This was the first computer I EVER SAW. (+- 1985))

I still have everything since the Amiga. They all still work, but I never really use them anymore (except for the Cel733 and very rarely the IDT200 (just for burning cd's "in the background" or as a MP3 player :D )

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
My oldest running Mac is a PowerBook 100. I don't use it regularly, but it does work. I have a Portable too, but it's currently MIA in the technology jungle that is my room :rolleyes: (and it's almost dead.)

I regularly use my Pismo and tangerine iBook, and I have 2 iMacs and a beige PowerMac coming my way in the next few weeks. I'm a big fan of the G3 mainly because it's fast and a lot cooler than the G4.

All of my old machines work: 5300cs, Duo 280c, TAM, PB 190cs, PB 150, 2400c, Kanga

My oldest PC is an Atari Portfolio (1989?) and my IBM PC XT back home in the States. I don't even want to think what it would take to get that monstrosity onto the internet :eek:

RacerX: Very L33t, you using AUX :cool: I read the review of it on AppleFritter, but the guy didn't speak too highly of it. I'm guessing you like it a lot?

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
It's not really mine, but I do use it sometimes. In our office we use an old beige 266 MHz G3 Mini tower, runs OS 9.2 works flawlessly. It's actually used in our Pre Press area also downloads some emails sometimes. Hard to believe it's over 8 years old now, hey that must be retirement age by human standards. Every time I use the thing, I find my fingers want to do things the OS X way, I've almost forgotten how to use OS 9.

Brian

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
5300cs said:
RacerX: Very L33t, you using AUX :cool: I read the review of it on AppleFritter, but the guy didn't speak too highly of it. I'm guessing you like it a lot?
Well, I have a ton of older software that was designed for System 7 and earlier. And since the Mac environment in A/UX 3.0.1 is System 7.0.1, that is the system that I use to access that older software.

The thing is, A/UX being Unix doesn't really provide any noticeable difference (or advantage) to how the Mac environment works in A/UX. Consequently, things that I could normally do in Mac OS X (or Rhapsody, or even Mac OS 8/9) I can't do in A/UX... specifically, I can't really multitask. When I'm doing something in the Mac environment I have to wait for the task to finish just like I would have if I was using the standard installation of System 7.0.1.

So, when giving an honest (Mac user point of view) review of A/UX, I'd say that it is a little more stable than System 7.x.x... and there is the obvious Gee Wiz factor, but otherwise I would rate it about the same as I would System 7.0.x/7.1.x.

I think that this is also why, even though I have A/UX 2.0, I haven't ever installed it on any of my hardware (I have both a Mac IIcx and IIci that it would run fine on). A/UX 2.0 used System 6.0.x as the Mac environment... and while interesting, even with MultiFinder I would have a hard time considering that a usable environment for anything these days.

I, like most Mac users I would imagine, got spoiled with the advances that came with Mac OS 8 (multitasking, partial protected memory... which I extend even further with Macsbugs) that it is hard to spend too much time in System 7.x.x and earlier (at least when doing actual work), and that includes all the versions of A/UX.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
KrysBaz said:
I'm still the proud owner of a LcII with 4mb of ram, and a 40mb harddrive.

I had an IIsi and my roomate had an LC II. That hard drive could be heard rooms away when it was writing / reading.

The oldest would be my IIsi, in service now as a donation, but my oldest that I own is now my dual 1.42 G4 PM - not very ancient, although that 167 Mhz FSB does give it some old school street credit.

latintraps

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2005
Oldest Mac.... period

I have an Apple iAbacus. It counts in tens and depending on how fast the user can calculate, you can calculate to the nearest thousandth. This is the first revision after the Apple eLumberjack Tally. I sold that years ago. The best part about it is it counted in lines of 4 and crossed the set of four with a line across it to make 5. It was easy to count in 5's. Then binary took over and then the Abacus sliding bead processor went completely obsolete, although it outperforms Windows comparatively due to the eLumberjack Tally's interface and ease of use.

Bet you guys can't beat that!!! :p

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
My personal oldest Mac ( and my first Mac ) is SP PowerMac G5 1.8G.

At work I have a Bondi Blue running Panther on the shop floor. It's CD is dead, its covered in dirt, its a miracle it still works! Also I have B&W Power Mac G3 as a backup server.
Both run fairly well but get the occasional kernel panics.
They are used everyday.

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
le studio

g5 rev.A 1.8 sp
2.5 gig ram
2 x 160gig HD
radeon 9800 pro mac se 256mb
23 inch AL Apple LCD / currently on classic g4 era 15 inch Apple LCD
motu 828mkII audio int.

replaces sold quicksilver 733

sony vaio ra820g
(q1 2005) media center with liquid cooling
3.2HT P4 / 1.0 G ddr pc3200/ 200G / x300 pciX
currently using 23 AL
world most expensive cable box/ps2 display

replaces dusty junkyard condition Athlon XP1800

My first PC, 286 bto , my first mac, apple II clone. My first computer, Tandy TSR16 (with 16K memory upgrade! and cassette player! plugged into TV...). Funny my newest PC is made for TV and so was the one I had in 1983.

Preacher85

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2004
Vermillion, SD
I don't own this, but my grandpa does, and he still uses it. An old Apple II. It's got that beautiful black and green screen, oh yes. Also, it sports TWO 5-1/4" floppy (truly floppy) disk drives.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Unfortunately, I don't think my PowerMac 7200/75 survived when my basement flooded on Tuesday. Assuming that's the case, I don't have any older working Macs now.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
This has been a very interesting thread.

My oldest Mac is a PowerBook 170 with System 7.5.5 running on it.

My oldest computer, one of my favorites, is my HP-71 system. Which to this date has the most expensive memory upgrade that I've ever purchased. It was $995 for 96K RAM. Yep, that's K as in Kilobyte. The price had just been reduced from $1,295.

Let's see, 96K for $995 is about 1 penny per byte. (Actually 1.0122 cents per byte.) So 1GB of RAM at this rate would cost around 10.1 million dollars. Yikes!

Anyhow, back in the states I have a Mac SE and Imagewriter II in storage. So I guess that is truly my oldest Mac -- if it still runs.

As for oldest computer touched, part of the ENIAC.

As for oldest mainframe used, the IBM 360.

As for the oldest minicomputer used, PDP-11.

Ah, the trips down memory lane! :D

Sushi

amholl

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
I have some old performa in the attic, but the HDD broke and I havent gotten around to replacing it. I regularly use my pismo for email and web, boy mozilla flies on it. It is running 9.2. My first Mac ever was the pizza box LC. My dad bought it for work, and when he wasnt using it, I played shuffle puck cafe and kid pix on it, ahhhhh, those were the days :rolleyes:

krausyao

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2005
Madison, WI
Macintosh IIci

The oldest Macintosh I use regularly is a Macintosh IIci. It has 128MB of memory, 4GB hard drive, 8-24GC video card with extra 10MB G-world memory, ethernet card, and cache card. In the attached picture only 80MB memory was installed. Also shown in the picture is a 20MB floptical disk and a share from the Windows 2000 server.

Attachments

• IIci.gif
    IIci.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 163

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I have a still working Apple IIGS, that was bought before I was born. It has a 5" floppy drive, green and black screen, and no hard drive. Also have a Performa II from when I was a kid.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Not that old, but it's the Powerbook G3 pismo in sig, running tiger.

Psycho Therapis

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2005
Oldest running Mac: Performa 5200 with 64Mb RAM & 1.3Gb HDD, running Mac OS 8.5. So slooooowwww, it isn't really much use.

Oldest running Mac that I occasionally use: Power Macintosh G3 Desktop, G3 @ 300mhz with 128Mb RAM & 6Gb HDD, running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I need to upgrade the RAM in this. Tiger is only installed as an experiment really, but seems to be fairly ok, minus the slowdown due to limited RAM.

Oldest running Mac that I regularly use: PowerMac G3 Blue & White, G3 @ 350mhz, with 320Mb RAM & 6Gb HDD. Running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. Isn't really used for anything intensive, only word processing, listening to music, general web surfing & very light Photoshop use occasionally.

Oldest running PC: A custom built Desktop, AMD K6 III CPU @ 360mhz with 128Mb RAM & 40Gb HDD, running Windows XP Pro. Was originally a Pentium @ 100mhz, with 40Mb RAM & 850Mb HDD, but has been upgraded so much over the years, that with the exception of the case, PSU & motherboard, everything is different. I'll probably put this into storage soon, since I have a spare PIII 650mhz system laying around, that would provide much better performance over this old thing.

Oldest computer: Commodore 64. The system works, but externally it is in pretty poor condition. I may pop on eBay and buy myself a better looking system and possibly a Floppy Drive too. I may even attempt to get GEOS running, just for fun. :D

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
My only two macs are pretty old. Powermac 5500's. They run OS 9.1 just fine, and they serve a few tasks (IRC, Internet, Word Processing, Playing around)

On one of them I have Photoshop 4.0, I have Photoshop 7 on the 390X, but for simple tasks I use Photoshop 4.0 . I hate booting up the Windows machine when I don't have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.