Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The oldest computer I use on a semi-regular basis is a Powerbook 180c, though I have a few older Macs that run fine, the oldest being a IIci.

stridey said:
By the way, for anybody running System 7, I *highly* suggest upgrading to 7.5 or 7.6. They're WORLDS better, and the update is available online (can't be bothered to hunt it down, but if anybody's actually interested, I will). Of course, I guess most people don't see 7.6 as that shiny anymore... it'll always be shiny to me.

I disagree, at least for 68k Macs - I have three Powerbook 1xx series machines, a Quadra 610 and a Mac IIci. All of them run much faster in OS 7.1.x, though 7.5.x has more features. Early PowerMacs might benefit from using 7.6 or 8.x, but 68k Macs were very fast in OS 7.1.

My dad uses an original clamshell 300Mhz iBook running OS 10.3.9.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Lord Blackadder said:
The oldest computer I use on a semi-regular basis is a Powerbook 180c, though I have a few older Macs that run fine, the oldest being a IIci.

I disagree, at least for 68k Macs - I have three Powerbook 1xx series machines, a Quadra 610 and a Mac IIci. All of them run much faster in OS 7.1.x, though 7.5.x has more features. Early PowerMacs might benefit from using 7.6 or 8.x, but 68k Macs were very fast in OS 7.1.

My dad uses an original clamshell 300Mhz iBook running OS 10.3.9.

Hmm... good point. I'm thinking specifically of the Performas. I have a Performa 636cd that runs like a dream with 7.6

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I got a Mac Classic from Goodwill, original keyboard and mouse for only $5. It still works.

I also have a Bondi Blue iMac from 1997, runs with Panther. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.