Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Hi all

The oleophobic coating on the iPad screen doesn't seem to be anywhere nears as good as on the 3GS. Now it could just be that because it's a larger surface area, fingerprints are easier to see, but even trying to rub them off just isn't as easy as on the 3GS. Is anyone else finding this? My iPad is absolutely covered in fingerprints all over!

Michael.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
thats cus when you put the phone in your pocket it gets cleaned from the pocket rubbing the phone. you dont put your ipad in your pocket.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
thats cus when you put the phone in your pocket it gets cleaned from the pocket rubbing the phone. you dont put your ipad in your pocket.

Actually I've just used my t-shirt to rub the 3GS screen and the finger prints come off really easily. They don't come off easily at all on the iPad, and it seems to be push the dirt around.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Mine's got a lot of finger prints but they're only really visible when the screen's off. Possibly the extra glossy surface shows 'em up worse?

Thing is I would doubt that any treatment would outright stop fingerprints, it's really there to make it easier to clean the screen off so keep a cleaning cloth handy and give it a wipe every once in a while.

tuxing

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
It's a printing mistake in specs by apple
actually they meant it's oleophilic!

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I'm wondering, once it gets to 100% coverage as far as fingerprints are concerned, whether the fingerprints will be less noticeable and it might even reduce reflections a bit as well. The problem is that it takes an act of will to get there; I was getting close last night but couldn't stop myself from cleaning the screen before I went to bed so I'm back to square one now.

It's lucky the swine flu scare was last year, sharing iPads would have been a great way to pass on the virus.

- Julian

egorka

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Try a screen protector

If the ipads fingerprint problem is getting to you, try a screen skin from Bestskinsever.com or someone else.

It dramatically reduces the amount of grease collected on the screen.

Just make sure to tape off the dock connector and headphone jacks before putting it on. You'd hate to trip thebwater sensors and be out of luck for warranty coverage.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
I find I'm washing my hands a lot more before using it, it helps - a bit. Along with a microfibre cloth.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
I think the screen is better than my touch which is a bugger to remove smudges. I recently bought the Monster clean and the cloths work wonders on the iPad. I don't want a screen protector so the bottle is a great alternative.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
The incase neoprene sleeve has a very nice material inside which seems to always keep my screen clean. I know that I've put it away with the screen looking pretty bad but the next time I pull it out it's nice and clean.

NateSJ408

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
Go to your local auto parts store and get a 5 pack of microfiber towels. my ipad stays fingerprint free at all times.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I maybe clean mine once a week and it hardly has a print on it that can be seen, even if the screen is off.

I kinda think some of you need to not eat while using your iPad.

Mike Reed

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Columbus, OH
I find it funny that the MacBook Pro I bought a short while ago came with one of those little cleaning cloths but my iPad didn't. I have noticed the magic cleaning properties of my pocket with my iPhone, as mentioned above.

Perhaps they could add a little windshield wiper to the keyboard doc accessory.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
This is really one of my only complaints about it. This thing is a fingerprint magnet!

Here is a visual representation of mine lol. I find it quite therapeutic though cleaning it. The monster cleaning spray works so well.

Attachments

• ipadx.jpg
    ipadx.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 547

C8XY

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2008
Here is a visual representation of mine lol. I find it quite therapeutic though cleaning it. The monster cleaning spray works so well.

From that dirty pic, i can so easily tell what your pin is and what you've been viewing on your iPad :D

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I find that using disposable medical gloves you can keep your iPad very clean. I buy them in boxes of 100, you would be surprised how dirty our hands get with just general day to day use.

Always have a spare pair in my pocket in case any friends want to try out the iPad.

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
To be honest, the coating on my 3GS has completely worn off, and its now worse for fingerprints than what the old iPhone 3G screen was like. Seems like Apple are trying to make these iPhones disposable- when I get the 4G i'll have a screen protector. If I had an iPad I'd probably do the same.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London

What spray are you using to clean it? I didn't think you were supposed to use any spray on it at all. I only use a hardly wet microfibre cloth to clean mine.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
I couldnt bring myself to put a protector on it. First, I doubt I could apply it correctly. Second, from reading review and hearing what friends say, some of them make the screen look worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.