Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denisch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
A friend bought his 15PM at the start of sales and it has 100% on 180 charge cycles. I decided to check it myself and was shocked: after two months it was already 99%. I charge my phone once every two days, I don’t play, I just look at social networks and rarely take photos.

How is that? Has anyone encountered the same unfair problem?

Attachments

• IMG_0222.PNG
    IMG_0222.PNG
    181.3 KB · Views: 161

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
A friend bought his 15PM at the start of sales and it has 100% on 180 charge cycles. I decided to check it myself and was shocked: after two months it was already 99%. I charge my phone once every two days, I don’t play, I just look at social networks and rarely take photos.

Apple won't consider it an issue unless it goes under 80% within the warranty period

Contact_Feanor

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
Without knowing how you charge and how your friend charges, there's really no comparison here. If you use a higher voltage wireless charger and he uses an old 5W charger, there's the explanation. Maybe he keeps the phone cool, you keep it hotter.

Don't worry about it too much. 99% after two months is perfectly fine. Margins of error also suggest you and your friends' phone are comparable.

GravyonAPlane

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
As we all know now batteries are consumables. The iPhone batt should get 500ish cycles (to 80%charge), so if you have charged 66 times that is 13.2% of battery cycles or -2.64% battery health (assuming 80% threshold).

Moreover, lithium ion batteries always have a precipitous drop off from 100% battery health compared to a battery with many cycles. Meaning, 100 cycles for a new battery might drop the overall health to lets randomly say 95%, but the next 100 cycles might only drop it down 1 or 2% more. Each battery ages differently.

Also, if you are constantly keeping your battery at 100% or charging in high heat situations, your battery might age faster than it otherwise would.

Though at this point the iPhone is at 99%, you are good brother, don't worry just yet!

cogzero

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2023
Well, it seems you have a 4 month delta between Manufacture and First Use dates. This unfortunately means that some of your lithium ions have unfairly evaporated. And when they're gone, they're gone.

The best solution is to make friends with people who have inferior gear than you do. This should maximize your happiness KPI. Hope this helps.

McNads

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
As we all know now batteries are consumables. The iPhone batt should get 500ish cycles (to 80%charge), so if you have charged 66 times that is 13.2% of battery cycles or -2.64% battery health (assuming 80% threshold).

Moreover, lithium ion batteries always have a precipitous drop off from 100% battery health compared to a battery with many cycles. Meaning, 100 cycles for a new battery might drop the overall health to lets randomly say 95%, but the next 100 cycles might only drop it down 1 or 2% more. Each battery ages differently.

Also, if you are constantly keeping your battery at 100% or charging in high heat situations, your battery might age faster than it otherwise would.

Though at this point the iPhone is at 99%, you are good brother, don't worry just yet!
The 15 models are actually rated for 1000 cycles. Doesn’t change much overall but is a departure from the norm.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Batteries don’t age linearly, some one maybe sitting at 100% for 3 months and then battery can deteriorate faster than someone at 93%. I am at 87% after 2.5 years and one of my friend who is obsessive about charging to 80% is at 81. Too many variables to stress about batteries.

kinchee87

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
New Zealand

How is it possible that, after two months of only charging it every two days, you have already reached 66 charge cycles?

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK

If you only charged it once every two days you wouldn’t have 66 cycles in 2 months? How low does the battery % get before it gets plugged in?

As others have said it’s not worth getting so stressed out over. Battery degradation isn’t linear and it depends on so many variables.

Some devices also leave the factory with a higher than rated original max battery capacity which will affect the time & cycles before the BH starts to fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halmahc

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
My 15 Pro Max is at 108 cycles with 99% health and I've had mine since launch day. My 14 Pro Max was at 100% health when I sold it right before I got my 15. I don't use any optimized battery charging or 80% charging features. I always fast charge my phone every other day, since my battery lasts two days even with heavy use.

Reactions: denisch and James6s

denisch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
Если бы вы заряжали его только раз в два дня, у вас не было бы 66 циклов за 2 месяца? Какое у вас устройство? 15 вечера? Насколько разряжается заряд батареи до того, как ее подключат к сети?

Как уже говорили другие, не стоит из-за этого так переживать. Деградация батареи не является линейной и зависит от множества переменных.

Некоторые устройства также покидают завод с исходной максимальной емкостью аккумулятора, превышающей номинальную, что повлияет на время и циклы до того, как BH начнет падать.
From February 1 to May 1, 3 months have already passed, and 2. So I really charge it !on average! once every two days.

Reactions: James6s

denisch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
Without knowing how you charge and how your friend charges, there's really no comparison here. If you use a higher voltage wireless charger and he uses an old 5W charger, there's the explanation. Maybe he keeps the phone cool, you keep it hotter.

Don't worry about it too much. 99% after two months is perfectly fine. Margins of error also suggest you and your friends' phone are comparable.
We both exclusively use the original 20W unit or USB-C charging port of the MacBook Pro

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Different batteries age at different rates. Batteries do not degrade on a linear curve. As long as it's within spec (which it is), it's normal.

Reactions: denisch

daabido

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
I also cried for my dastardly bad luck when my phone dropped from 100 to 99%. Why had the gods of technology forsaken me? Would offering up a non-Apple router as sacrifice for not buying an AirPort Extreme redeem me?

Don't sweat it. Enjoy your amazing phone. Ride that battery all the way to failure. Then get a new horse or renew your old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.