Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
@denisch, thats nice but what’s your daily usage that your battery hold you for two days? Because I can also charge the OG SE battery every two days with light usage…

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
[…]I just look at social networks and rarely take photos.

How is that? Has anyone encountered the same unfair problem?

“Just” social networks.
In my experience they’re among the worst things for power consumption.

I also don’t understand what’s unfair in this situation.

My advice would be to just use the phone as you want. As others have said, it’s within specs and if at some point you do notice a real problem within the warranty period, talk to Apple.

Dsmith7

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
Had mine since feb 26

Attachments

• IMG_2769.png
    IMG_2769.png
    273.7 KB · Views: 33

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Could be many insignificant things not worth worrying about, like your phone's battery capacity was measured to be 99.4999 and his is was 99.5000, but Apple's rounding function shows yours at 99 and his to 100.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Batteries are different from new. Using the ioreg parameter for health which all third party app use, I have seen new batteries up to 104%. Never seen one less than 100%. Sounds like you friend got a good one. As others have said dont worry about it.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
A friend bought his 15PM at the start of sales and it has 100% on 180 charge cycles. I decided to check it myself and was shocked: after two months it was already 99%. I charge my phone once every two days, I don’t play, I just look at social networks and rarely take photos.

The more I think about it, the more this doesn't add up.

I'm assuming two months is 60 days.

If you charge your phone every other day, you would have 30 days worth of charges (assuming a full discharge and recharge).

How did you get 66 cycles if you only charged it about 30 times?

See https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

for more information how a cycle is calculated.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
A friend bought his 15PM at the start of sales and it has 100% on 180 charge cycles. I decided to check it myself and was shocked: after two months it was already 99%. I charge my phone once every two days, I don’t play, I just look at social networks and rarely take photos.

Battery percentages are ESTIMATES. Unfair? It’s physics, Apple can’t magically make physics work differently. Just use the phone and get the battery replaced when it needs to be.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I don’t play, I just look at social networks and rarely take photos.

Too much swiping right causes hairy palms, blindness, and poor battery health.

Let me tell you how numbers work, in particular rounding. Would you say 99.50 and 99.49 are very different numbers? Hopefully not. If you think so, swipe left. But now round them to an integer value (which battery health is reported in) and you get 100 and 99. OMG so unfair.

As others have said, measuring battery health is an imprecise science at best, compound that with lack of precision in the actual numbers, and meh. 100 and 99 just aren't that different. If at all.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
You've given us two data points, one from when you got the phone and one from now. This is not enough to say if what you're experiencing has any significance.

I'd only suspect there's something to your worries if you see another percentage drop within a few months or less.

But even if you see more percentage points drop in the coming months, Apple has only ever claimed that you should not see it dip below 80% before reaching 1000 charge cycles.

Apple won't do anything for you as this is all within specifications for now.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
There is 1 issue that everyone here seems to forget, new batteries are not at 100%, the are around 105% with the battery app reporting them at 100% till the they drop.

Hook up a new device to a Mac and check it with Coconut (or the Mac it self if it is a MacBook) and you will find that the current full capacity is above "spec".

Since that "around 105%" really means that you are bound to find iPhones starting at 102% and other at 107% meaning that the 107% will show 100% for longer even under heavier use.

bierdybard

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
I charge my launch day 15 Pro Max phone multiple times per day with the 80% limit set (141 total cycles). Current battery health: 99%. Which it hit pretty much right when I took it out of the box.

Point is, you're worrying about nothing. Apple's battery optimization has really become top-notch. I suspect in another 6 months, you'll still be at 98+%.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
My iPhone 15 Pro Max is on a charging regimen with a smart plug that cycles it between 50 to 55% during the week (i'm at my desk with my phone on a charging stand virtually all the time), and up to 80% on the weekends.

155 cycles and still 103% capacity according to coconut battery. Hope this keeps up!

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Who cares? Is the battery life sustaining the usage of the user? If so, stop obsessing over numbers. I remember when I worked at Apple and we had an AppleCare guy in once and we asked why these stats aren't available in iOS when we can see them ourselves through our internal apps and he said and I quote "Because the more info you give certain users, the more obsessed they become over something that means nothing."

Now we have that info in iOS and here we are.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

"Unfair" lol. No, this is normal. It's not 100% accurate anyway. But if you really want to prolong your battery health, you need to limit it to 80%.

Or, just, you know, don't care about it and keep your sanity 🙂

Reactions: throAU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.