Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I’m currently on a flight with my AVP. Immersed in the moon environment with multiple screens open, not hunched over my laptop or worrying about whether others can see my screen. This is awesome. It automatically detected that I was in flight and let me activate travel mode. Paying for Wi-Fi was simple enough with wallet. No way I could go back to working or watching movies on a plane the old way!

I didn’t want to freak the flight attendant out, so I took it off briefly for the snack round. I think persona is disabled, so he wouldn’t have been able to see my eyes anyway.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I’m currently on a flight with my AVP. Immersed in the moon environment with multiple screens open, not hunched over my laptop or worrying about whether others can see my screen. This is awesome. It automatically detected that I was in flight and let me activate travel mode. Paying for Wi-Fi was simple enough with wallet. No way I could go back to working or watching movies on a plane the old way!

I didn’t want to freak the flight attendant out, so I took it off briefly for the snack round. I think persona is disabled, so he wouldn’t have been able to see my eyes anyway.

Awesome.

Did you travel with it in the travel case? Did security make you take it out? Do you TSA Pre?

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Awesome.

Did you travel with it in the travel case? Did security make you take it out? Do you TSA Pre?

Yep I brought the case in my backpack with my MacBook Pro, chargers, fleece, and toiletries. I have CLEAR/Precheck and didn't have any issues.

I sat in a window seat, got out my AVP and bluetooth keyboard, and no one bothered me.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
How is it for image stability? Last time I tried a Google Daydream VR headset to watch a movie on the airplane, the virtual theater would slowly slide up due to the curvature of the earth. When the plane banked and turned, I had to recenter the display after the maneuver. That was somewhat comical. I would think Apple figured this part out with the travel mode?

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Hmm I didn't notice the screens moving around. The safari window seemed a bit crooked, but a press on the digital crown reset it and I didn't have any other issues. I did come out of full immersion when the plane was landing though...the banking was a bit disorienting when looking at a still environment.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Hmm I didn't notice the screens moving around. The safari window seemed a bit crooked, but a press on the digital crown reset it and I didn't have any other issues. I did come out of full immersion when the plane was landing though...the banking was a bit disorienting when looking at a still environment.

I'm surprised they let you keep it on when the plane was landing

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Thank you for sharing your positive experience of AVP on a flight. It does make sense for flight entertainment and work when needed. This is a great news or recommendation for all frequent fliers to have fun in every flight. Keep calm, thankful for what we have and be happy 😊 Life is too short to be not thankful and happy 😊

p

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
They definitely should have made him take it off haha.

OP, what airline. I fly pretty much exclusively delta now and it’s nice because they provide actual free WiFi on most flights now. That alone improves the travel experience.
Lol I need to be precise with you guys. I had it on during initial descent, not landing.

I was on American. I agree that Delta's free wifi is nice. Hopefully the others jump on board soon.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I’m currently on a flight with my AVP. Immersed in the moon environment with multiple screens open, not hunched over my laptop or worrying about whether others can see my screen. This is awesome.

In a parallel forum thread: “I’m currently on a flight hunched over my laptop and guess what, I managed to hack into that guy’s AVP over at the window, via the plane’s wifi. I can see his screen and everything. This is awesome.”
;)

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
Did anyone say anything to you at all about it? Thoughts on travel case? I have it but haven’t even unzipped it yet. It’s so white I don’t want to get it dirty for no reason. Haha. It fit fine in your backpack and you had your MacBook? That’s awesome.

Last question - you said you pressed the Digital Crown to recenter safari properly but doesn’t pressing that just bring up the Home Screen with apps and such?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for taking your time to answer everyone and share your experience. My first flight is in less than two weeks. I thought I would just leave it at home since it’s such a novel thing and didn’t want to be bothered by others on the flight etc.

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Did anyone say anything to you at all about it? Thoughts on travel case? I have it but haven’t even unzipped it yet. It’s so white I don’t want to get it dirty for no reason. Haha. It fit fine in your backpack and you had your MacBook? That’s awesome.

Last question - you said you pressed the Digital Crown to recenter safari properly but doesn’t pressing that just bring up the Home Screen with apps and such?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for taking your time to answer everyone and share your experience. My first flight is in less than two weeks. I thought I would just leave it at home since it’s such a novel thing and didn’t want to be bothered by others on the flight etc.
Lol no one said a thing. The guy next to me asked about my Z Fold5 (yes I have both an iPhone and an android) but not the AVP. I honestly think that the average person has no idea what it is yet.

The travel case has been fine so far. I fit all of the accessories, including the extra headband and a foldable keyboard. The outside material seems like it can be cleaned easily. I like the movable thing that blocks the inner lenses. The non-AVP cases I've seem so far don't do that well.

It's a long press on the digital crown to recenter. I happened to be catching up on the macrumors main page while flying, and they wrote about it in the post on traveling with AVP. I noticed that mine was a little crooked, tried the long press, and it worked.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
Lol no one said a thing. The guy next to me asked about my Z Fold5 (yes I have both an iPhone and an android) but not the AVP. I honestly think that the average person has no idea what it is yet.

The travel case has been fine so far. I fit all of the accessories, including the extra headband and a foldable keyboard. The outside material seems like it can be cleaned easily. I like the movable thing that blocks the inner lenses. The non-AVP cases I've seem so far don't do that well.

It's a long press on the digital crown to recenter. I happened to be catching up on the macrumors main page while flying, and they wrote about it in the post on traveling with AVP. I noticed that mine was a little crooked, tried the long press, and it worked.

Thanks for all this great info!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Yep I brought the case in my backpack with my MacBook Pro, chargers, fleece, and toiletries. I have CLEAR/Precheck and didn't have any issues.

I sat in a window seat, got out my AVP and bluetooth keyboard, and no one bothered me.
I’m assuming you weren’t in a Max-9. ☺️☹️

• Haha
Reactions: Blackstick

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Got the Occulus Go back in 2018 to watch movies on a plane. Downloaded marvel movies in 3D from the high seas and watched a few on a few flights. Guardians of the Galaxy was particularly awesome. Stopped that when I got the 12.9 inch iPad Pro because the Occulus didn’t work with the inflight app so I missed out on watching new movies and it filled Half my carry on bag. Funny thing is I have never seen anyone else using a vr headset on a plane since.

Reactions: chaospet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.