Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I’m going to be REALLY curious to see what security at non-US airports is like with the VP. Some require you to take all electronics out of not just bags but also protective sleeves, etc. And we’ll see in short order how durable the device is.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Lol no one said a thing. The guy next to me asked about my Z Fold5 (yes I have both an iPhone and an android) but not the AVP. I honestly think that the average person has no idea what it is yet.

The travel case has been fine so far. I fit all of the accessories, including the extra headband and a foldable keyboard. The outside material seems like it can be cleaned easily. I like the movable thing that blocks the inner lenses. The non-AVP cases I've seem so far don't do that well.

It's a long press on the digital crown to recenter. I happened to be catching up on the macrumors main page while flying, and they wrote about it in the post on traveling with AVP. I noticed that mine was a little crooked, tried the long pr

Thanks for all the great first hand experiences… congrats.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I’m going to be REALLY curious to see what security at non-US airports is like with the VP. Some require you to take all electronics out of not just bags but also protective sleeves, etc. And we’ll see in short order how durable the device is.
Depends a lot on your security status.

I have Global Entry / PreCheck so I never take any of my electronics out at any US TSA checkpoint.

As for foreign airport security, I would put in my carry on backpack and have the electronics on top ready to pull out.

It would scan just like any other electronics so no issue anywhere in the world.

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Wrapping up my flight back. Went into cinema mode this time to see Watch the Sound with Mark Ronson on AppleTV. I had my 1st gen Airpod Pros in. It was awesome.

When they were coming down the aisle with snacks, I switched to the volcano environment, but dialed back immersion so that I could see the aisle. When they offered snacks, I was able to see the flight attendant and interact with her (I declined...didnt want to try drinking/eating with it). Amusingly, she didn't skip a beat even with my AVP on. I think that when you turn toward people, they realize you can see them even if eyesight isn't working. I suppose it's from decades of dealing with people with dark sunglasses?

Also, we had some banking maneuvers and a bit of turbulence, but the screen never moved.

I ended up in the bulkhead row, but they let me keep the AVP on my lap in its case. Pretty sure they thought it was just a pillow 😆.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Wrapping up my flight back. Went into cinema mode this time to see Watch the Sound with Mark Ronson on AppleTV. I had my 1st gen Airpod Pros in. It was awesome.

When they were coming down the aisle with snacks, I switched to the volcano environment, but dialed back immersion so that I could see the aisle. When they offered snacks, I was able to see the flight attendant and interact with her (I declined...didnt want to try drinking/eating with it). Amusingly, she didn't skip a beat even with my AVP on. I think that when you turn toward people, they realize you can see them even if eyesight isn't working. I suppose it's from decades of dealing with people with dark sunglasses?

Also, we had some banking maneuvers and a bit of turbulence, but the screen never moved.

I ended up in the bulkhead row, but they let me keep the AVP on my lap in its case. Pretty sure they thought it was just a pillow 😆.
Did you feel like the VP view made you feel nauseated or dizzy while the plane moved ?

MazingerZND

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2022
I guess this was on a short flight, right? If battery life was better, I would definitely consider this a good reason to buy one. Unfortunately my flights are usually 6-14 hours long :(

• Sad
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

hch720

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022

If you are interested in its durability, somebody already did a drop test on YouTube.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I have been on many transatlantic flights that only have USB ports on the seats...last one was today, actually
What airline, seriously curious so I can avoid it. I primarily fly jet blue across country and they have plugs and American overseas with plugs. Course in the old old old days we carried an extra battery.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.