Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
...which in turn means look forward to more "SWAP" offerings to rent the phone.

Apple just won a victory by targeting repair shops in court.

Apple intends to make it a luxury to own and control your own phone. You either rent from them or if you insist on owning it, they will make you bleed for repairs. Current price in Oslo of fixing an ipad screen with Apple's official repairer is 3x-4x time the price of doing it with a third party.

(use google translate)
https://www.dn.no/teknologi/apple/h...selskap-saksoker-en-stakkar-pa-ski/2-1-634167

Reactions: user_xyz

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Porsche dealership also charges 3-4x the local mechanic's rate. Manufacture repair rates have been historically higher than 3rd party since forever. Please clarify your point.

I own 3 iPhoneXs ( one for me, one for the misses and one for testing/development ).

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I wonder, if your local repair shops breaks your iPhone during the repair, do you get a new one?

The problem with these 3rd-parties is that their quality is difficult to assess.

Relying on google-ranking and (possibly) astroturfed reviews is dangerous.

Reactions: neutrino23

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
I wonder, if your local repair shops breaks your iPhone during the repair, do you get a new one?

The problem with these 3rd-parties is that their quality is difficult to assess.

Relying on google-ranking and (possibly) astroturfed reviews is dangerous.
That's precisely why in the car industry for example, the laws ensure that consumers have access to a wide number of independent repair service providers, by mandating that the manufacturers have real and widely accessible programs of certified repairers.

That's not the case with Apple, i Norway for example, despite the total dominance of Apple in the market and their nosebleed pricing, there is no Apple shop, just only one authorised repair company for Apple products (a monopoly) and they charge unicorn blood to do the repairs.

Reactions: levander

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
That's precisely why in the car industry for example, the laws ensure that consumers have access to a wide number of independent repair service providers, by mandating that the manufacturers have real and widely accessible programs of certified repairers.

That's not the case with Apple, i Norway for example, despite the total dominance of Apple in the market and their nosebleed pricing, there is no Apple shop, just only one authorised repair company for Apple products (a monopoly) and they charge unicorn blood to do the repairs.
Seems like a demand is there, why don't you meet it?
Get your Apple repair certs, open a small shop and start charging a little less, maybe pegasus blood. The oddly satisfying thing is that all your future personal repairs will be dirt cheap.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland

Where does it say that?

The law maybe states that parts and manuals need to be available, but that in itself doesn't mean the actual work is done to standards.
Also, as cars go electric and more and more "intelligence" is in firmware, there's little chance for small "independent" repair shops to survive IMO.
Even before that, a lot of expensive machinery was sometimes necessary.

If anything, cars are moving in the direction of iDevices. Not vice-versa.

As you personally know the total costs of ownership of an Apple device before purchase, you can put away the emotion and just decide according to financial and practical aspects.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
iPhone; either it works or not, not a lot of repairs possible.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
The intelligent option is to avoid iPhones, avoid smartphones, avoid watches, avoid IT co. credit cards (that are thinly disguised Mastercards, truth be told), avoid subscription services, avoid iCloud, avoid subscription apps, avoid smart speakers, etc. Just get an iMac 27" and do all your stuff on that. Get a small laptop for other stuff. Take care of them and they last years. If everyone did this we could all watch in glee as the big fish flounder.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Flounders aren't big fish.
flounder 1 |ˈflaʊndə|

verb [ no obj. ]

struggle or stagger clumsily in mud or water: he was floundering about in the shallow offshore waters.

• struggle mentally; show or feel great confusion: she floundered, not knowing quite what to say.

• be in serious difficulty: many firms are floundering.

DamFu

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
flounder 1 |ˈflaʊndə|

verb [ no obj. ]

struggle or stagger clumsily in mud or water: he was floundering about in the shallow offshore waters.

• struggle mentally; show or feel great confusion: she floundered, not knowing quite what to say.

• be in serious difficulty: many firms are floundering.

Oh look, its "doesn't get the joke, guy"

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
The intelligent option is to avoid iPhones, avoid smartphones, avoid watches, avoid IT co. credit cards (that are thinly disguised Mastercards, truth be told), avoid subscription services, avoid iCloud, avoid subscription apps, avoid smart speakers, etc. Just get an iMac 27" and do all your stuff on that. Get a small laptop for other stuff. Take care of them and they last years. If everyone did this we could all watch in glee as the big fish flounder.
Why would that bring you glee? It would mean thousands of jobs lost. King of a weird thing to hope for, imo.
[doublepost=1565404422][/doublepost]
...which in turn means look forward to more "SWAP" offerings to rent the phone.

Apple just won a victory by targeting repair shops in court.

Apple intends to make it a luxury to own and control your own phone. You either rent from them or if you insist on owning it, they will make you bleed for repairs. Current price in Oslo of fixing an ipad screen with Apple's official repairer is 3x-4x time the price of doing it with a third party.

(use google translate)
https://www.dn.no/teknologi/apple/h...selskap-saksoker-en-stakkar-pa-ski/2-1-634167
I can understand why Apple is fighting this. What happens when someone gets their battery swapped out at a 3rd party shop and the phone catches on fire? The headlines will read "iPhone on fire" and not "3rd party battery caused fire in phone". It makes total sense for them to not want this.

Mildly off topic, but the rumor that Apple is going to put a finger print sensor in the screen makes sense to me because it will make replacing the screen on phones much more difficult if not impossible for 3rd parties.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Yeah. Samsung's brand is pretty worthless compared to Apple's and they can't or don't want to run a chain of stores like Apple does. And they've outsourced repair anyway.

A couple of smart-phones smoldering the pillows of people doesn't really hurt their brand anymore.

Much less those of other name-less Chinese manufacturers.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Why would that bring you glee?

Vengeance for the atrocious business practices that have been laid on us, the gullible public, for the last decade or so. Yeah, you know the culprits, $1000 phones, glued-together stuff, unrepairable stuff, antennagate, bendgate, so many 'gates, the list goes on.
[doublepost=1565720335][/doublepost]
Oh look, its "doesn't get the joke, guy"

[Edit]

Hahahaha :):):):) Nice one. Great joke, by the way. Sorry I forgot to mention it. o_Oo_Oo_O

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Idk. I’d prefer the pros fix my device at Apple than a repair shop. I don’t trust amateurs with my 1k phones.
Card cost far more than a pocket phone - and they all have programs of approved third parties for fixing the car.

Airplanes cost hundreds of millions of dollars but you don’t need to take the airplane toBoeing or Airbus to fix it. They have approved third parties who do it. And these are far more complex and important than a toy in your pocket.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i bought my last phone off of craigsList. Seller & buyer met at the local ATT store and completed the cash deal
I have never had to repair my cell phone
I keep cell phones a long time till the firmware gets deprecated. Turn them over and they all look the same.

Timothy Leo Crowley

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2016
What repairs?

I've owned iPhones since the iPhone 1. I've never had to repair any of them. I've owned each one outright and have no plan on changing that practice.

To be honest, your post doesn't really make any sense.

Good luck.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
You guys who want Apple to have control over the rpairs your devices should really watch at least the first six minutes of this report:

The independent repair guy in that video, his name is Louis Rossman. He has his own channel where he does videos talking about Apple making chips unavailable to independent repair shops. He’ll do videos with people have come into his shop after the Apple Store has told them it would be cheaper to buy a new computer than to fix their old one, and he’s fixed their old computer for like fifty bucks. It’s a general computer repair channel where Apple is only one of the types of computers he fixes. He evangelized against a lot of design practices that make it harder to fix a computer. Apple isn’t the only one, just the worst one.

Here’s his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

Last edited:

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
To me, large companies are good for some things, and small companies are good for others. Large companies are good for products and services you can stamp out, and do the same thing a hundred times. Small companies are better for things where serving and individual customer takes more thought and intelligence.

It’s like Wal-mart. The last thing I’d ever want to do is go into a mom and pop competitor to Wal-mart. There’s just no way for a mom and pop to compete. And you can stamp out a million Walm-marts all over the planet. Each new one takes some intelligence to set up. But after it’s going, you don’t need very well paid people to run it.

But something like fixing your car... As many problems as I’ve had with car mechanics over the years, I would never go to a chain. Yes, it is possible for some smart, very able person to end up running a store that’s got a chain’s name on it. But I’ve found it much more likely to end up with better service when the owner of the mechanics shop is sitting there right behind the counter when I walk in.

It’s like if I’m a really good mechanic, why would I want to work in a shop where every time I fix a car, not only are the people in the shop getting paid, but also the regional manager and his staff get a cut, and the office he reports to, all the way up to the CEO. And don’t forget the stockholders, they want a cut too with the dividend they receive every quarter. And I’ve spoken to the couple of mechanics over they years and I’ve asked them why they work at that independent shop and not a chain. And they’ve told me the same, very simple thing. They make more money.

With computers, there are a lot of simple repairs anyone fairly knowledgeable with computers can do. And that’s why the Genius Bar has never been helpful to me. I can do what they can do myself. I am glad they’re there. Because there are a lot of people who can’t do that stuff. But an any serious repair I can’t do myself, like removing a faulty chip off a computer board? I’d much rather look around a little and try to find an independent shop do the work than bring it into the stamped out Apple stores.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I dunno, a persons perception is their reality. I haven't been inside a WalMart in close to 6 years.
As for the being a repair person at a large repair facitlity / garage etc. Those higher positions contribute to pulling in more work.
When you are the worker bee persay, you do a job. When you become the owner, you may be the workerbee, the marketer, the public relations person, the more "hats" you put on the less time you have to do the job you set out to do and have to start hiring under you at some point if you are in an industry that grows that much.
You also have the lovely small business self-employment tax, where uncle sam wants approx 40% of every dollar you make but that's a whole other discussion.

Some folks just simply don't have the time or the care to do their own repair. Some folks do, some dabble in between.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The independent repair guy in that video, his name is Louis Rossman.
Louis Rossman is a YouTube star (a little more than a million subscribers!) that makes money on dramatic complaints about Apple and tech in general.

He does have valid points, he also highlights cherry picked repairs for the 'click bait' factor. I say good on him for using his charisma, talent and expertise to create an entertaining video drama about repairs.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Indeed. Someone pointed out that he turned the search for a new shop to rent into a sort-of reality tv show.
With 1m subscribers, he‘s no longer „small“.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.