Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Louis Rossman is a YouTube star (a little more than a million subscribers!) that makes money on dramatic complaints about Apple and tech in general.

He does have valid points, he also highlights cherry picked repairs for the 'click bait' factor. I say good on him for using his charisma, talent and expertise to create an entertaining video drama about repairs.

If you could actually refute some of his arguments rather than claim he’s a click bait artist, that would be informative.

What was wrong with the CBC report that included Rossman? Do you think they were faking going into the Apple Store and being told it’d be cheaper to buy a new computer? Was it a fake when Roussman fixed the computer by bending a connector and saying there was no charge if the customer was okay with that repair?

What was wrong with the report?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
If you could actually refute some of his arguments rather than claim he’s a click bait artist, that would be informative.
Pointless to refute cherry picked content. He helped a customer where an employee at the Apple Store did not.

What was wrong with the report?
There are many issues, but I'll point out the two you may be missing.
1) Rossman makes more money when you go to him instead of an Apple Store. That should set off your "grain of salt" indicator. His channel is biased.
2) Apple Stores help more people in a day than Rossman will in a lifetime.

As long as you understand the scale, you can comprehend silly errors and edge cases that will be exploited by sensationalist such as Rossman.

Try to not get caught up in the hyperbolic world that we are currently in.

PS. No nails were used in my phone's coffin. Here is my bias. I believe Samsung makes some incredible devices. I feel like using a 'free' OS is the weakness. Samsung should hire 10 engineers and create the best Mobile OS the world has seen. They have a decade of learning to pull from. SamsungOS has the potential to crush the coffin. Learn from Tizen and move on.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Pointless to refute cherry picked content. He helped a customer where an employee at the Apple Store did not.

There are many issues, but I'll point out the two you may be missing.
1) Rossman makes more money when you go to him instead of an Apple Store. That should set off your "grain of salt" indicator. His channel is biased.
2) Apple Stores help more people in a day than Rossman will in a lifetime.

As long as you understand the scale, you can comprehend silly errors and edge cases that will be exploited by sensationalist such as Rossman.

Try to not get caught up in the hyperbolic world that we are currently in.

PS. No nails were used in my phone's coffin. Here is my bias. I believe Samsung makes some incredible devices. I feel like using a 'free' OS is the weakness. Samsung should hire 10 engineers and create the best Mobile OS the world has seen. They have a decade of learning to pull from. SamsungOS has the potential to crush the coffin. Learn from Tizen and move on.

The video I posted a link to wasn’t produced by ROssman.. it was produced by the CBC. Rossman was just the guy they brought the computer to who fixed it cheaply when the Apple store told them it was too expensive to fix, And the CBC has video of Rossman fixing the computer and they show the working computer after he was done fixing it.

You’re ignore the message and attack the messenger approach would probably work better if you actually were attacking the messenger and not just the guy who fixed the computer in the video.

Are you claiming the Canadian Broadcast Corporation is a puppet of Rossman’s? Is that why you’re attacking Rossman?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The video I posted a link to wasn’t produced by ROssman.. it was produced by the CBC. Rossman was just the guy they brought the computer to who fixed it cheaply when the Apple store told them it was too expensive to fix, And the CBC has video of Rossman fixing the computer and they show the working computer after he was done fixing it.
Thank you for pointing out several facts that have nothing to do with phone 'ownership' in the context of this conversation. Try to stick to the OPs main point or create your own thread.

You’re ignore the message...
Please clarify your message as it relates to the main point of this thread so that I may attack it more clearly. I'm sorry if I missed it.

...attack the messenger approach...
Certainly not attacking Rossman. I stated he is a talented expert.

Are you claiming the Canadian Broadcast Corporation is a puppet of Rossman’s?
You seem to be a bit of a sensationalist as well. Excellent headline.

Is that why you’re attacking Rossman?
Once again, not attacking Rossman. Pointing out bias.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Thank you for pointing out several facts that have nothing to do with phone 'ownership' in the context of this conversation. Try to stick to the OPs main point or create your own thread.

Please clarify your message as it relates to the main point of this thread so that I may attack it more clearly. I'm sorry if I missed it.

Certainly not attacking Rossman. I stated he is a talented expert.

You seem to be a bit of a sensationalist as well. Excellent headline.

Once again, not attacking Rossman. Pointing out bias.

You said Rossman uses YouTube to make money on dramatic complaints. If you watch just a few of his videos, thatks clearly not how he’s trying to present himself. And saying that is an attack on him.

Now people do portray themselves in ways that are not accurate all the time. Like CNN broadcasts themselves constantly portraying themselves as a legitimate news organization. When what they really are is a genre of reality television where the producers manipulate real world details to create drama. Now even though I believe that is true, it is still an attack on CNN. Because that is not how CNN is trying to portray themselves. I am basically calling them liars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.