Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
My current iPhone, which is a Xs Max is at 87% battery life. I got it at launch. I fast charge it at home using my 29 watt Apple power brick and charge it at the office too but using a 5 watt power brick. I rarely charge it at work but at home I charge it whenever I have to, I try not to charge it overnight though. Have optimised battery charging enabled.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
Don’t fast charge, don’t charge wirelessly, don’t let your battery drain to below 20% and don’t let it sit at 100% full for long periods of time.

If you follow this your batteries will last twice as long.
Cool. I'd rather just use my device and not worry about this nonsense. Trade-ins don't care about battery capacity.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
His battery probably had above the normal mAH. My 2018 iPad Pro battery had 15%+ more capacity(Apple states 9,720 mAH but my iPad had 10,070 mAH), so it’s at 100% health and yet capacity it is still 6% higher than what Apple states as the mAH in the battery after 2 years.
Why would Apple put in bigger batteries in “some” devices. Don’t they only order one size per device?

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Cool. I'd rather just use my device and not worry about this nonsense. Trade-ins don't care about battery capacity.
That’s why I am trading mine in this year. But every other year I usually sell it. And your resale value does care what it’s at.

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
My 11 pro max, launch day, is at 90%. I've let the battery died a couple of times and I use the fast charger occasionally. Normally I wireless charge overnight.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Ok, but that can’t be the only reason all these people are still 100% After so long. That many charge cycles gone?
It’s not really 100%. The battery reading in Settings is not perfect.

If they were to check with Cocunut Battery they would see their battery has degraded just like it’s supposed to.

But there’s more to battery health than charge cycles and battery capacity left.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hey guys. My 11 pro is just over a year old and battery is down to 86%. Between work and personal use.
I’m happy with the phone for now, but would Apple put new battery under warranty? Just looking at my options. Also, considering 12 pro. Haven’t decided yet. View attachment 976003
What’s your charging habit? Do you use the 18w adapter daily?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yeah, I think wireless charging is actually better than most wired charging (slower and therefore cooler)...short of using the old school 5W brick which are super slow.

Remember, slower charging and cooler temps keep the battery happy and healthy.
I don’t know wireless charging generates a lot of heat. 5w charging imho is best for long term battery health. My experience with my xs max is 98% battery health the first year. My 8 plus was wirelessly charge and the decline was 92% after one year. I bought my dad an iPhone 11 and told him to not use the usb-c to lightning cable to maintain battery health. He doesn’t need to fast charge since he’s usually home most days (retired).

The xs max started declining rapidly when I started fast charging daily. I didn’t care at this point about battery health. I have 87% after 2 years.

I know this is anecdotal evidence and based on my use so many factors could be in play.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
It’s not really 100%. The battery reading in Settings is not perfect.

If they were to check with Cocunut Battery they would see their battery has degraded just like it’s supposed to.

But there’s more to battery health than charge cycles and battery capacity left.

I checked mine through coconut and jailbreak tweaks, when it was at 100 for my iPhone I was well above the mAH that Apple states, same for my iPad, my iPad has degraded some but it’s still showing 100% 9950 mAH instead of the 9700 Apple states is in their iPad Pro 12.9. Coconut battery/jb tweaks is maybe 1-2% different but mine were always on par with apples battery health.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.