Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
So the OnePlus Three ( Nexus 6-1/2 as I call it ) should be announced later this Spring, and on sale around May / June.

I am really torn on OPO as a company, on one hand I can't stand their cocky crappy attitude, and the stupid invite system just blows still. But the original OnePlus One for $349 truly was an awesome deal, matching the flagship specs of the HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy S5 which were selling for $750 for their 64GB versions. I am not saying the OPO was a better phone than the M8 or S5, but for $349 it was a pretty sweet bargain.

As is the OnePlus X for $249, a very well crafted phone, and a nice 5" size, and decent spec's for a budget phone.

The OnePlus Two = major turd to me, and I had ZERO interest in that, it seemed a step back for OPO, and a pretty big letdown.

Word is that OPO has learned from the failed Two, and that the upcoming Three will bring them back to glory.

OnePlus Three = $399
-SD820
-4GB RAM
-3400mAh Battery
-5.5" QHD Display
-Metal body
-Dual Speakers
-NFC
-QuickCharge
-Rear fingerprint scanner

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I haven't heard any rumours as yet. However based on how OPO seems to do things, it seems battery life is a top priority. If they do move to qhd, I would expect at least a 3600 mah and Amoled.

I think they just need a really good camera to persuade more flagship users to their phones.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Those renders are from November, from a Chinese site that says they saw the CAD drawings for the Three.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm just going to stick with the One I got in very good condition and on the cheap and call it grand larceny. :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I still have my original One, as a back up phone to my Note 5. I recently dusted it off and installed one of the best reviewed CM13 ROM's, and damn this phone for being almost two years old, still feels very fast and smooth, and running Android 6.01 it feels up to date and not like some old outdated thing

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Fingerprint scanner on the back would be a step back in my opinion. The current front one is in a very good position, I don't see why they'd want to change that.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If i could get the build quality of the one plus x with the beefed up innards as outlined in the OP for sub €450 then it could be very tempting.

That being said as were talking 'near' stock Android running on it so I'm not sure, even if benchmarks tell otherwise, we would see much real world every day performance boost between it and the current Nexus 6P to make me buy it or if i did, a keeper.

Likewise the invite system ... Though i was able to circumvent it with the oneplus 2 & X as for some reason when i put in my email address on the registering interest page, i was greeted with a congrats we reserve invites for special blah blah message and automatically got an invite shortly after. So if same happens with the OP3 I'll likely buy it, try it and see if I'll keep it or sell it on.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I believe we will get Amoled (OP X has it), SD820, 4GB ram, etc.
But their software is simply awful !

I'm using OP X at the moment. Excellent small phone, build quality is great, software is pretty fast and snappy. But... Can't really use SD card. And they still haven't fixed that in their updates.

I had OP One, Two, and now OP X. And I am not buying any more of their phones. Until some1 confirms that everything is top notch, from hw to sw. I feel like a beta tester of OnePlus company, and that feeling really sucks :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I believe we will get Amoled (OP X has it), SD820, 4GB ram, etc.
But their software is simply awful !

I'm using OP X at the moment. Excellent small phone, build quality is great, software is pretty fast and snappy. But... Can't really use SD card. And they still haven't fixed that in their updates.

I had OP One, Two, and now OP X. And I am not buying any more of their phones. Until some1 confirms that everything is top notch, from hw to sw. I feel like a beta tester of OnePlus company, and that feeling really sucks :)

It seems the OnePlus phones work best with CM13 ROM. The OPO's are like a Nexus, meant to be rooted and ROM'd IMO.

That Oxygen crap sucks, but CM13 is much better.
[doublepost=1453728282][/doublepost]I ask the question, why can't some other company come out with a phone like the OnePlus at that price point, and looks really cool too ?

Look at those renders in my first post, throw in current flagship 2016 spec's, give it a stock Android type OS, and sell it for $400. OPO did it with the original One two years ago. Are they the only company that can make a flagship spec'd phone, make it look cool, ( not cheesy and cheap looking like many other budget phones ), and get it to the U.S. an affordable price ?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Just for fun, I put my SIM card back in my OnePlus One running CM13 ROM. Use this phone again for fun :)

I used it all day nonstop yesterday, unplugged off charger at 7:00am, went to bed at 10:30pm and battery life was at 33% left, with an amazing 5h05m Screen On time.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I am looking forward to this. I'm sure they will learn from their mistakes. I don't mind the invite system...at that point, I'd probably have 3 or 4 phones in rotation. Lol.

Reactions: jamezr

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
It's definitely NOT a step back. If anything, the real estate gained by the screen would make the sensor on the back a step forward.

Eh, I would disagree. At the front, it has the advantage of the user being able to see it, so they know exxactly where to put it.
Plus, the screen:body ratio on the OnePlus 2 is already pretty good.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Eh, I would disagree. At the front, it has the advantage of the user being able to see it, so they know exxactly where to put it.
Plus, the screen:body ratio on the OnePlus 2 is already pretty good.
Use one on the back for a month. You'll never want to go back.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Just for fun, I put my SIM card back in my OnePlus One running CM13 ROM. Use this phone again for fun :)

I used it all day nonstop yesterday, unplugged off charger at 7:00am, went to bed at 10:30pm and battery life was at 33% left, with an amazing 5h05m Screen On time.

Replying to my own post LOL

Not sure what I was smoking, but went back to the Note 5 last night, and wow this phone just blows away the OnePlus One, and it's only a one year newer phone, but feels like three generations apart almost. The display on the Note 5 is jaw dropping gorgeous. The speed is very smooth and fast, like zero lag whatsoever on the Note 5. The speaker is actually a lot louder and clearer on the Note 5, the form factor, for being pretty much the same overall size, but with the bigger screen is nice on the Note 5. The build quality, and flat back is night and day better on the Note 5, and the haptic / vibration engine on the Note 5 is much better feeling.

But I am rooted running a custom ROM on my Note 5, which debloats it, and fixes the RAM issue, also tweaked to make it even smoother and faster, and with the kernel much improved battery life.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
A OnePlus X with a bigger screen and up-to-date specs for about £279 would kill it for me.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I was a early adopter of both the OnePlus One and the OnePlus 2. Now that I look back at the phones and my experience with both of them, I enjoyed the OnePlus One a lot better than the OnePlus 2, which was simply a "meh" in my opinion. I've since moved to the Nexus 6P and am overall so much happier with it.

If OnePlus speeds up software updates (Marshmallow still hasn't arrived for devices running Oxygen OS), dumps the horrible invite system, and loses that "cocky crappy" attitude, I'll definitely consider picking the OnePlus 3 up. But until that happens, I'm staying away from OnePlus and any of their devices. They've left a bad taste in my mouth and it'll take them a whole lot of them turning around for me to buy again.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Replying to my own post LOL

Not sure what I was smoking, but went back to the Note 5 last night, and wow this phone just blows away the OnePlus One, and it's only a one year newer phone, but feels like three generations apart almost. The display on the Note 5 is jaw dropping gorgeous. The speed is very smooth and fast, like zero lag whatsoever on the Note 5. The speaker is actually a lot louder and clearer on the Note 5, the form factor, for being pretty much the same overall size, but with the bigger screen is nice on the Note 5. The build quality, and flat back is night and day better on the Note 5, and the haptic / vibration engine on the Note 5 is much better feeling.

But I am rooted running a custom ROM on my Note 5, which debloats it, and fixes the RAM issue, also tweaked to make it even smoother and faster, and with the kernel much improved battery life.

My ip Plus and Edge Plus blow it out of the water BUT I don't compare the One to them. For the price I got it for, nothing rivals it currently at that price paid on the preowned market.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
My ip Plus and Edge Plus blow it out of the water BUT I don't compare the One to them. For the price I got it for, nothing rivals it currently at that price paid on the preowned market.

Don't get me wrong, I still have my OnePlus One, and like it a lot, almost two years later. Running CM13, this phone still feels fresh, and not outdated really. And these things are selling for just like $200 on CL, can't go wrong for that price, nothing does compare

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
We have new word: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/03/25/oneplus-3-benchmark-and-specs-show-beefy-powerhouse/

This is looking promising. Snapdragon 820, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, FHD display, sounds a bit like the OP2 to me. Announcement 7 April, that's interesting. This means it could hit before the HTC 10.

Things that we can hope for: AMOLED, Metal or glass build, Expandable storage, big battery, $350 or under. I don't give one about FHD, but it's interesting that they're sticking with it. Definitely won't make it underspecced or outdated, contrary to people's claims.

Overall this is shaping up to be a great release for OnePlus.

EDIT: Just saw an article confirming that it won't be announced on the 7 April event.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truefan31 and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.