Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is iPhone 13 Pro a large upgrade from iPhone XS?

• Yes

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 22.5%

• Total voters

qs933

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
I've been on the fence since my XS still feels "new," other than the battery life. However, if the numbers work out on a carrier promo, I may go ahead and do it.

Getting $700 of trade-in credit on a 3-year old phone I paid $800 for (without trade in) in exchange for remaining with VZ for another 24-30 months seems like a decent deal. New 1-year warranty, not to mention whatever improvements there are with the camera and battery life, are additional positives.

Reactions: mcru21 and Jake3231

erthquake

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Had an XS since launch (from a 6s), and I'm definitely upgrading to a 13 Pro. I could easily go another year with my XS, but I take a lot of photos and I'm drooling over the macro camera ability. I also record quite a bit of slow motion video and the faster processor will be nice when trimming the ends off each clip. Also looking forward to the brighter screen.

Reactions: Nell and SqB

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I think it's a solid upgrade and I would go for it. Battery life, 5G, Better cameras (3), 120hz display etc.....

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
If you take a lot of pictures I would definitely upgrade. I thought the 11 was a great camera boost but the 12 and 13 just add even more camera enhancements. If you have the means, upgrade and enjoy! I moved to the Max last year and battery life is crazy good. Just FYI in case that’s a consideration.
Extra battery life would be really great but I think the Max is too big for my hands and too big for my pockets.

Reactions: Jake3231

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
I will have to agree with this sentiment - even as much of a tech nerd as I am, I've failed to see much if any practical difference between phones from ~2018 to even the latest (2020) models.
The move from the Intel Modem to the Qualcomm Modem is a good practical (Handset w/o signal is a sad handset) move in my book! :)

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
The move from the Intel Modem to the Qualcomm Modem is a good practical (Handset w/o signal is a sad handset) move in my book! :)
I never had any connection issues with my Max. In fact I still have 3 bars connection on my basement and never had call drops as well.

Jake3231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2021
That's a good point. I have had some weird connectivity issues with my Xs, though it hasn't been a huge deal. Maybe I just don't know how much better the new Qualcomm modems would be!

Jeepguy01

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
That's a good point. I have had some weird connectivity issues with my Xs, though it hasn't been a huge deal. Maybe I just don't know how much better the new Qualcomm modems would be!
I've had serious connectivity issues with my XS. Calls frequently don't go through — I'll just see a 'missed call', and callers say my line doesn't ring. Calls drop regularly, and sometimes I'll lose all cellular signal, which is fixed by restarting my phone.

Everything else about the XS has been fantastic. It's just as fast as it was when it was brand new and it's been very durable. Those things, plus spending extra $$, are the only reasons why I haven't upgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.