Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Hey guys I currently own an iPhone 6+ and I wanted to upgrade to an Samsung s9... the oled screen is attractive but I feel like I'd regret leaving IOS. I love the keyboard layout on the iOS and idk if I can get that same experience on Samsung... also the blurry face pics is a bit of a turn off what are your opinions? Should I switch? Or wait for the new iphone in September?

Videomanmac

Suspended
Apr 3, 2015
I would wait and get the new iPhone - or wait and get the X at a discounted price. The X uses an OLED screen, that I believe is even better than the ones found in Samsung. If not, they are the equivalent.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would wait and get the new iPhone - or wait and get the X at a discounted price. The X uses an OLED screen, that I believe is even better than the ones found in Samsung. If not, they are the equivalent.

The iPhone X specifically uses OLED panels from Samsung as a manufacturer. They are very good and I do think Samsung makes excellent OLED panels in the smart phone industry.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
The S9 is a certified beast. However if you like all that iMessage garbage don't even bother just stick with your iPhone. If you are prepared to put a small amount of effort in to change the S9 will not disappoint and is a better overall phone then the X for sure.

You mean in your opinion. The rest isn’t worth going there.
[doublepost=1529227575][/doublepost]
Hey guys I currently own an iPhone 6+ and I wanted to upgrade to an Samsung s9... the oled screen is attractive but I feel like I'd regret leaving IOS. I love the keyboard layout on the iOS and idk if I can get that same experience on Samsung... also the blurry face pics is a bit of a turn off what are your opinions? Should I switch? Or wait for the new iphone in September?

Samsung oled screens are oversaturated v the X, also curved which is rubbish imo.

Reactions: FFR

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Do you own an iPhone X or an s9?
Oh im not even going to get into a discussion on the subject, its been done to death on this forums. I think you would agree with that?? Feel free to check out any number of the reviews on You tube that compare the 2 and see for yourself what people think.

Reactions: Regime2008

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
So you don’t own an iPhone X or an s9.
I own an S9+. I also own a bunch of Apple gear. Your point? Im just not going to get into another Android vs iOS discussion, its been done to death and never leads to anything constructive. Like I said if iMessage and all that junk is important to you stick with the iPhone.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
No X lol.
[doublepost=1529229488][/doublepost]
I own an S9+. I also own a bunch of Apple gear. Your point? Im just not going to get into another Android vs iOS discussion, its been done to death and never leads to anything constructive. Like I said if iMessage and all that junk is important to you stick with the iPhone.

You started it in your first post in this thread.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
S9 will be like every other Samsung eventually, a old dog getting out of bed.
[doublepost=1529229737][/doublepost]
Sure I stated my opinion. I even said if iMessage is important the OP should stick with the iPhone.

After saying it was garbage, no backing pedaling now.
[doublepost=1529229830][/doublepost]
The S9 is a certified beast. However if you like all that iMessage garbage don't even bother just stick with your iPhone. If you are prepared to put a small amount of effort in to change the S9 will not disappoint and is a better overall phone then the X for sure.

You never said in your opinion, for sure and you dont even own a X.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
This is why I don't bother anymore. Go and talk to any Note 8 owner and see if your statement is correct.....

I had one sold it. Ugliest tommy tall phone I have ever had, made $200 flipping it though :)
Had the usual stutter/lag straight out of the box.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
It’s hard to say if you should switch. I have a iPhone 8 and Samsung S8. They are both good phones. I do love
the curved screen of the Samsung, I think it is beautiful., that’s why I got it. You can customize the keyboard on it
also. I don’t know what you mean by blurry face.
Out of the two phones I do use the iPhone 8 more. Somehow it’s easier for me to find things on the iPhone. One of
my favorite things about safari is when I tap the search bar all my bookmarked websites come up.
If you haven’t already, go to a store and play around with the Samsung. Don’t know if you can get the keyboard the
same as IOS. I don’t think the iOS keyboard on the iPhone is all that great. They don’t have the numbers on top.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not even opinion, the S9 is objectively better then the X in many ways. Oh and Displaymate rated the S9 screen higher then the X, so do your research. ;)
Yet to many the iPhone X is better than the S9

So yes it is an opinion. Be foolish to make it out as a fact.

S9 is a great phone but the software lets it down badly with basically no updates. If the OP is ok with that then he will be happy with a Samsung device.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Yet to many the iPhone X is better than the S9

So yes it is an opinion. Be foolish to make it out as a fact.

S9 is a great phone but the software lets it down badly with basically no updates. If the OP is ok with that then he will be happy with a Samsung device.

There are many parts of the S9 that are objectively better including the Screen, LTE performance/speeds, Headphone jack, Sd card support, Better speakers, Software that provides proper customisation, More Ram with better Ram management, Multiple biometric options, a far superior Assistant, faster Charging in both Wired and wireless options and the list goes on. Also my S9 has had multiple updates since launch. If you are heavily invested into the Apple eco system then the X is going to be a great choice and is an awesome phone but based on its own merits the S9 is the better device.

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
S10 in 2019. Or wait for October and new models, and hope iOS 12.0 is ready - new phones plus new OS often take 3-4 updates to bake, simmer, and mature.

Why either/or? I keep a 2nd Android phone as backup and spare which is handy.

AT&T has a special on X. Where I got mine. Entering slow sales season.

Also compiler improvements hope to breath more life into iPhone iOS 12. So there’s hope life in your current phone.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Android phones in general have got better in recent years. Though I have not used a flagship Android phone, didn't want to spend that kind of money to try them out. For my usage, it is likely the main thing I've missed is the cameras. Low range/mid range Android phones don't generally have cameras on par with an iPhone or a Galaxy S8/9 phone.

I currently have 2 Android phones, and 2 iPhones, but I carry the iPhone daily. One android phone is my "home" phone, so I don't care about its camera.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
There are many parts of the S9 that are objectively better including the Screen, LTE performance/speeds, Headphone jack, Sd card support, Better speakers, Software that provides proper customisation, More Ram with better Ram management, Multiple biometric options, a far superior Assistant, faster Charging in both Wired and wireless options and the list goes on. Also my S9 has had multiple updates since launch. If you are heavily invested into the Apple eco system then the X is going to be a great choice and is an awesome phone but based on its own merits the S9 is the better device.
There is nothing wrong with the speeds on the iPhone X LTE wise. I get over 100MB at work for example and around the same at home.

A far superior assistant? That’s not Samsung’s. That’s google. Bixby is rather shocking as an assistant at least Siri can do basic tasks. You can use google assistant on iPhone if needed. Would charging the phone a tad faster really be something that matters? Certainly not when most would charge at night anyway.

When I say uodates I’m talking the latest yearly android OS update. On the S9 will be lucky to get the latest update within 6 months of the new one coming out.

You can certainly customise on the S9 and it’s nice to do but does the average person do that? Not sure they do. The software is still rather bad. Only thing that lets the phone down for me.

What’s the better Device for most is what they want OS wise. If I was picking a android phone the only thing coming from IOS that would be a smooth transition would be the pixel personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.