Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
There is nothing wrong with the speeds on the iPhone X LTE wise. I get over 100MB at work for example and around the same at home.
The modem in the iPhone X is not nearly as good as the one in the S9. 37 percent faster to be exact. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s9-lte-performance,news-27209.html

A far superior assistant? That’s not Samsung’s. That’s google. Bixby is rather shocking as an assistant at least Siri can do basic tasks. You can use google assistant on iPhone if needed.

Yes I'm talking about the Google assistant, I have Bixby disabled completely, and no the Google assistant isn't baked onto the OS on the iPhone so its not even close to being the same, I can say "ok google" with my phone screen off and ask it a question.

Would charging the phone a tad faster really be something that matters? Certainly not when most would charge at night anyway.

Charging a phone quickly does not matter now? Ok lol.

When I say uodates I’m talking the latest yearly android OS update. On the S9 will be lucky to get the latest update within 6 months of the new one coming out.
Wrong again, Samsung phones have OS updates for 2 years, which falls right in line with 90 percent of peoples upgrade cycles anyway.

You can certainly customise on the S9 and it’s nice to do but does the average person do that? Not sure they do.

Just because you don't use something does not mean it isn't an added feature. Just like I would not use iMessage if I had an iPhone as I use WhatsApp, does that make iMessage pointless? No it doesn't.
The software is still rather bad. Only thing that lets the phone down for me.

Well thats Subjective but the Software on the S9 is far from bad, it runs smoother then iOS11, thats for sure. The iPhone X is a great phone and for someone in the Apple eco system its not going to disappoint. I also understand for you it is probably the better choice but objectively, pound for pound the S9 comes out on top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regime2008

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes I'm talking about the Google assistant, I have Bixby disabled completely, and no the Google assistant isn't baked onto the OS on the iPhone so its not even close to being the same, I can say "ok google" with my phone screen off and ask it a question.

I realise that but you can still use the google assistant widget and click that and will take you to the google assistant screen as you unlock.

You can charge the iPhone X from 0-80% in about 40 mins..so no the difference does not matter at all and as I said most would charge at night anyway. When you need a quick charge the times Apple gives is perfectly fine.

Just because you don't use something does not mean it isn't an added feature. Just like I would not use iMessage if I had an iPhone as I use WhatsApp, does that make iMessage pointless? No it doesn't.

Never said it was pointless, for the average user they likely would keep the device as this. When I had samsung devices I used it but that doesn’t mean everybody will

Wrong again, Samsung phones have OS updates for 2 years, which falls right in line with 90 percent of peoples upgrade cycles anyway

Read my post again, I said it takes a long time to get the latest update. Not that it doesn’t come

Reactions: Shanghaichica

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I came to Apple in December after years of Samsung flagship phones. I sold my s8 and s8 plus and got an x and an 8 plus. Samsung have really stepped up their game in the last few years.

If you want a phone for 1-2 years, Samsung is hard to beat. IF you want 2 or more years from a phone, I’d go iPhone. Samsung (and all android phones) values drop like a stone. Look at how cheap an s8 or s8 plus are now days. Those were expensive flagship phones just a year ago.

Reactions: bkrbyndr

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Hey guys I currently own an iPhone 6+ and I wanted to upgrade to an Samsung s9... the oled screen is attractive but I feel like I'd regret leaving IOS. I love the keyboard layout on the iOS and idk if I can get that same experience on Samsung... also the blurry face pics is a bit of a turn off what are your opinions? Should I switch? Or wait for the new iphone in September?

Why not just try the S9 for yourself and return it + buy a new iPhone if it doesn't work out for you. For everyone who hates the S9 there are equal number of guys who hate on the iPhone, and around and around you'll go, 5 pages later in this thread. It is all subjective and no one is "right." Return policies exist for a reason, take advantage of it.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
Yet to many the iPhone X is better than the S9

So yes it is an opinion. Be foolish to make it out as a fact.

S9 is a great phone but the software lets it down badly with basically no updates. If the OP is ok with that then he will be happy with a Samsung device.

Here are both my X on top and S9+ bottom.

20180617_095033_Burst01.jpg

20180617_095023.jpg

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Hey guys I currently own an iPhone 6+ and I wanted to upgrade to an Samsung s9... the oled screen is attractive but I feel like I'd regret leaving IOS. I love the keyboard layout on the iOS and idk if I can get that same experience on Samsung... also the blurry face pics is a bit of a turn off what are your opinions? Should I switch? Or wait for the new iphone in September?
While my dad keep using Galaxy (since S4), i can compare both, iPhone X (mine) and iPhone S9 (he owned S6/S8/S9)
Both are extremly fast, i cant say which one is faster, honestly dont focus on benchmark, its hard to tell a single performance diffence
iOS vs Android, its part of deal, you have too choose your eco system
Android doesnt look bad either
Photos/cameras: i think S9 camera produces a little bit better pictures
Ergonomic/hands on: while S9 is tad taller and less wider, iPhone X feel good in your hands as well
Price: i paid about 850€ for a second hand iPhone X while my dad bought his new S9 for 570€
No brainer, iPhone X is too much overpriced for what it worth
My fifty cents: Both are good and perform well, each has different eco system which you must take it into account, and eventually price does matter

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I have been using Android since the Nexus One, and I have used more Android phones than iPhones. My take on Samsung, or Android in general, it's not worth paying premium for an Android phone.
If you want to pay premium price for an Android phone, get the Google Pixel 2. You'll get more mileage for the price. Samsung phones look shiny and nice when you first got them. After the honeymoon period is over, it's just an Android phone that you paid too much for.
Example: I bought the Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017). I bought it because it's waterproof, and it looks nice. It is quite expensive for the spec TBH. Well, not too long after I use it on a regular basis, it crawls and lags like a $100 phone. Updates are not timely either, especially for the price I'm paying for. In comparison, I also bought a Xiaomi Mi A1. It's less than 3/4 the price of the Samsung, much better spec (minus the waterproofing), runs faster, runs the same apps, and oh, it's Android One so it gets security updates quite timely.

There will be a boom in Android mid-range thanks to Snapdragon 636 and 660. It's the first time for the mid-range chipsets to get the fast kyro cores that were exclusive to the Snapdragon 8xx series. With these chipsets, even $200 phones will perform extremely well. As flagship Android phones are increasing in prices as well, one has to really wonder if a premium Android phone is truly worth its price.

TL;DR:
- If you want an Android phone, nearly any mid-range Android phones are great, and run the same apps as those overpriced flagships. If high end flagships is a must, consider the OnePlus 6.
- If you want to pay for premium Android phone, Google Pixel 2 is the one to choose.
- If you want to pay for premium phone in general, go for iPhone.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

or you can upgrade too the iphone 8 pluse

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
S10 in 2019. Or wait for October and new models, and hope iOS 12.0 is ready - new phones plus new OS often take 3-4 updates to bake, simmer, and mature.

Why either/or? I keep a 2nd Android phone as backup and spare which is handy.

AT&T has a special on X. Where I got mine. Entering slow sales season.

Also compiler improvements hope to breath more life into iPhone iOS 12. So there’s hope life in your current phone.
I can’t wait for the s10 waiting to see if it’s gonna have the fingerprint sensor under the display, and a new design. I might have to get rid of my X for it.

Videomanmac

Suspended
Apr 3, 2015
The modem in the iPhone X is not nearly as good as the one in the S9. 37 percent faster to be exact. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s9-lte-performance,news-27209.html

Wrong again, Samsung phones have OS updates for 2 years, which falls right in line with 90 percent of peoples upgrade cycles anyway.

Well thats Subjective but the Software on the S9 is far from bad, it runs smoother then iOS11, thats for sure. The iPhone X is a great phone and for someone in the Apple eco system its not going to disappoint. I also understand for you it is probably the better choice but objectively, pound for pound the S9 comes out on top.

At least Siri doesn't spy on me.
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9VL0cvNzQ4ODg4L29yaWdpbmFsL1RHX0JlbmNobWFyay1HZWVrYmVuY2g0X1NuYXBkcmFnb244NDUuanBn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I can’t wait for the s10 waiting to see if it’s gonna have the fingerprint sensor under the display, and a new design. I might have to get rid of my X for it.

Some conflicting rumors with the Note 9 aAs well. Ming Kuo stated/predicted Samsung was struggling implementing the sensor under the display, other sources say it will have the fingerprint sensor under the display.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I dunno I’m not convinced this tech will ever be truely ready for market

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

S10 first Samsung phone without a headphone jack and featuring a notch.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would wait and get the new iPhone - or wait and get the X at a discounted price. The X uses an OLED screen, that I believe is even better than the ones found in Samsung. If not, they are the equivalent.
Well the S9 oled panel has now surpassed the panel in the X according to displaymate.

Last edited:

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Been using an S7 for 1+ yrs. Prior phone was a Nexus 5 directly from Google. If it had been continuously updated (at least with security patches), I would have stayed with the Nexus as it was an excellent phone (though horribly dated by today's standards). The S7 has a nice camera (for it's age) and, as long as security updates are forthcoming, I'm not getting a new phone. When that day arrives, I'll get another Android phone, probably a Motorola "Amazon special". Although I use Macs, iOS leaves me cold. It's more about crapware and emojis than anything else. Nice cameras on iPhones but $1000? Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

Easyflyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2018
DON'T

Reactions: FFR

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Guys i would like to thank everyone for replying! I'm leaning a bit more to the iPhone mainly because I feel more comfortable with the OS and I really could careless about
Customisation.
I do have a question though.. the latest rumours for the iPhones in September state that the X model would start at 800-900.. does that mean that the base line x model with the lowest possible storage will be $800? Or is it saying it could be either 800 or 900 for the base model?
[doublepost=1529274912][/doublepost]
Here are both my X on top and S9+ bottom.

View attachment 766573

View attachment 766574
Wow amazing displays
[doublepost=1529274992][/doublepost]
I have been using Android since the Nexus One, and I have used more Android phones than iPhones. My take on Samsung, or Android in general, it's not worth paying premium for an Android phone.
If you want to pay premium price for an Android phone, get the Google Pixel 2. You'll get more mileage for the price. Samsung phones look shiny and nice when you first got them. After the honeymoon period is over, it's just an Android phone that you paid too much for.
Example: I bought the Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017). I bought it because it's waterproof, and it looks nice. It is quite expensive for the spec TBH. Well, not too long after I use it on a regular basis, it crawls and lags like a $100 phone. Updates are not timely either, especially for the price I'm paying for. In comparison, I also bought a Xiaomi Mi A1. It's less than 3/4 the price of the Samsung, much better spec (minus the waterproofing), runs faster, runs the same apps, and oh, it's Android One so it gets security updates quite timely.

There will be a boom in Android mid-range thanks to Snapdragon 636 and 660. It's the first time for the mid-range chipsets to get the fast kyro cores that were exclusive to the Snapdragon 8xx series. With these chipsets, even $200 phones will perform extremely well. As flagship Android phones are increasing in prices as well, one has to really wonder if a premium Android phone is truly worth its price.

TL;DR:
- If you want an Android phone, nearly any mid-range Android phones are great, and run the same apps as those overpriced flagships. If high end flagships is a must, consider the OnePlus 6.
- If you want to pay for premium Android phone, Google Pixel 2 is the one to choose.
- If you want to pay for premium phone in general, go for iPhone.
Wow thanks for your reply.. so you're saying the s9 would've eventually start slowing down much faster than the iPhone?

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Not really fair to compare a 2017 flagship to a 2018 flagship.

If y’all look at the actual results they are darn near exactly the same. The iPhone X has True Tone and automatic color management, as well as much higher manual brightness which is a big deal to me as I hate automatic brightness. I’ll take automatic color management anyday!

frankenhooker

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2018
I had one sold it. Ugliest tommy tall phone I have ever had, made $200 flipping it though :)
Had the usual stutter/lag straight out of the box.

Hmmm. I have a Note 8, I’ve had it since launch. There is zero lag, none at all, it’s as smooth now as the day I bought it, really is a fantastic device. I also have an iPhone X, which is my personal device (the Note is for work), again, it’s a brilliant phone and I have no complaints.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Wow thanks for your reply.. so you're saying the s9 would've eventually start slowing down much faster than the iPhone?
Android phones in general do, and Samsung is at a more disadvantage due to their heavily customized Android with a ton of "features" put in. My Galaxy A5 just got Oreo not too long ago, and now is having the "system UI" force closing. It is completely ridiculous for a smartphone to have its system UI crashing at these days and age. Considering the price I paid for it, it's a POS. Samsung is not a software company obviously.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
There is nothing worth with the Galaxy series of phones. I think it just boils down to which system & device you are comfortable using. They do each have their own pros/cons.

Reactions: torana355
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.