Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aljon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2019
Hi i just wanna ask if its working the 80% new feature battery optimization if i'm charging around 8 PM and unplugged around 10 PM because (my daily routine). I'm not charging the phone around 11 pm-12 midnight onward till i woke up at 7:30 am in the morning i'm not that guy.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011

Scroll to the bottom and it tells you what needs to be on for this feature to work. I guess I’ll never use this because I don’t want to turn on those location services! I wish they would have a different way to enable it!!!

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019

Scroll to the bottom and it tells you what needs to be on for this feature to work. I guess I’ll never use this because I don’t want to turn on those location services! I wish they would have a different way to enable it!!!

Significant Locations resides on your device and are end-to-end encrypted. They’re not stored on Apple’s servers if you’re worried about privacy.

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
What is beyond me is why iOS doesn’t warn you when you enable a feature that requires an other feature to be enabled... like « hey, you enabled optimized charging but significant location is disabled, so it won’t work » :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks because I missed that one and wondered why it doesn’t work since 3 months

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
What is beyond me is why iOS doesn’t warn you when you enable a feature that requires an other feature to be enabled... like « hey, you enabled optimized charging but significant location is disabled, so it won’t work » :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks because I missed that one and wondered why it doesn’t work since 3 months
Same here. Geez Apple

Reactions: one more

vvapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2017
World
Well, I have all of the services on, but my iPhone Xs just isn't working with optimized charging since iOS 13 came out.

I charge the phone same every night. I always put it on the charger at around 10:30 PM and take it off the charger at around 7:20 am next morning. And I have this routine since MONTHS. Guess what: optimise charging isn't working for me. No clue why.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I have all of that turned on and it has never worked for me.... ever. Didn’t work on my iPhone X and doesn’t now on my iPhone 11 Pro.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

moyjoy

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2019
New York
It feels overthunk on apple’s part. It would have been great if they had simply tied the feature to the alarm, or at least had given an option for it if you don’t want to use location services.

For example if I’m setting an alarm for 8am there would be an option to optimize charging in the hours leading up to that alarm.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I’ve had the iPhone 11 for 8 months now. I go to bed at roughly the same time everyday and wake up more or less within the same 1 hour window everyday. And yet “Optimized Battery charging” only turns itself on about half the days of the week. A manual switch in settings that we could set that says “Finish charging by ____” would be far superior than whatever sophisticated learning algorithm they have implemented.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Sometimes it doesn’t work for me either. It should charge every day until 7 o’clock. Sometimes it says 8 o’clock (my charger always stops at 7 o’clock) and sometimes it never does work

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I have significant locations disabled as well, so that's why optimized charging wasn't working for so many months. Initially I tried restarting the iPhone... now I know why. I had significant locations disabled since iOS12 so after updating to iOS13, it stayed disabled. Those services are enabled by default (which will drain your battery if you don't need those services), but since there is an option to disable it, Apple should have mentioned that dependency under optimized charging.
In any case I don't plan to turn on Significant locations on just for optimized charging to work since my charging time varies from day to day depending on the schedule.

pw5a29

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Coventry, United Kingdom
It feels overthunk on apple’s part. It would have been great if they had simply tied the feature to the alarm, or at least had given an option for it if you don’t want to use location services.

For example if I’m setting an alarm for 8am there would be an option to optimize charging in the hours leading up to that alarm.

Exactly, and I think even they tied up frequent locations and optimise battery charging, they should leave a remark under the button too.

I was also wondering why the feature never worked since iOS 13 betas, filed feedbacks and no response, until some TIL post on reddit which I discovered I need to turn on frequent locations.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Didn’t work tonight again. My battery was constantly on %100 over night.
I don’t understand it. When I’m charging my phone every night until the same time (7am, where my charger goes off), why does it sometimes want to charge it until 8am or like today 5am?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Well well well, guess what finally kicked in after almost 8 months of ownership? My 11 Pro Max finally started doing Optimized Battery Charging, it seems Apple fixed this in iOS 14 because it never worked in iOS 13 although in my XS Max it did kick in for a little while in iOS 13.

Anyway I can see it working consistently on my 11 Pro Max for the last few days

I got this notification one morning last week:
1DAF0760-13F5-47C2-A95D-E3D6DB4428DF.jpeg

and from there on its been doing it

187F59C5-E3E6-42F0-8ED7-DC84922B3D32.jpeg

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Her device started doing this only on iOS 14.2! She's never activated those options!
I just checked same thing on my wife’s 11pro running 14.2. Hers is working without those options enabled as well! Interesting. Either it’s a bug or they are changing what’s required. The support article remains the same and says you need those options on even though you now don’t! Hmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.