Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
I was thinking, could it have something to do with what your "home" is saved as under your contact card? I'm probably reaching for straws here but maybe that's what it uses to determine when you're at home? My home is blank on my contact card, maybe that's why it only works once every few hundred charges lol.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I was thinking, could it have something to do with what your "home" is saved as under your contact card? I'm probably reaching for straws here but maybe that's what it uses to determine when you're at home? My home is blank on my contact card, maybe that's why it only works once every few hundred charges lol.
My sons phone has the home card blank and his works everynight. It learned where his home is I guess. And I assume if you stay somewhere for a long time and charge every night it would start working in that location as well.

Reactions: nmeed

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

Scroll to the bottom and it tells you what needs to be on for this feature to work. I guess I’ll never use this because I don’t want to turn on those location services! I wish they would have a different way to enable it!!!
Optimized charging working fine on my Mini and I have had System Customization and Significant Locations disabled since it arrived.

The Apple document says: 'If Optimized Battery Charging doesn't activate'... I guess I'm not in the 'if' group. :cool:

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Optimized charging working fine on my Mini and I have had System Customization and Significant Locations disabled since it arrived.

The Apple document says: 'If Optimized Battery Charging doesn't activate'... I guess I'm not in the 'if' group. :cool:
They are probably just using a sneakier way to see if you are at home/work without having these location services enabled now. Maybe checking ip addresses or something like that. Whatever it is I just wish they were more clear with how it actually works!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
They are probably just using a sneakier way to see if you are at home/work without having these location services enabled now. Maybe checking ip addresses or something like that. Whatever it is I just wish they were more clear with how it actually works!
Yes! Give me a toggle that says: I want this every night, I don't care if I wake up with 80%. How hard can that be? :p

Reactions: moyjoy

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

I noticed mine wasn't working well on my old phone but with those location settings enabled on my new phone I never have trouble. Even if it did only charge to 80% (It doesn't) that would be more than enough for 24 hours of use with my 12 Pro Max

Reactions: BigMcGuire

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Her device started doing this only on iOS 14.2! She's never activated those options!

I just checked same thing on my wife’s 11pro running 14.2. Hers is working without those options enabled as well! Interesting. Either it’s a bug or they are changing what’s required. The support article remains the same and says you need those options on even though you now don’t! Hmm.
Have either or both of you verified that those options have not turned on by themselves? Mine never worked until I turned them both on (iOS 13.x). Never tried it without on 14.
Yes! Give me a toggle that says: I want this every night, I don't care if I wake up with 80%. How hard can that be? :p
Or even simpler, have it look at an alarm you have set for whatever day where ever you are and base it on that time. I guess if there are folks who don't use alarms they would have to look elsewhere perhaps based on usage patterns like suggestions work.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Its not actually based on "Home" but rather significant locations. So if it sees you at "123 Any street" most every day that becomes a significant location. Even the document says as much.

"Optimized charging is designed to engage only in locations where you spend the most time, such as your home and place of work."

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
Its not actually based on "Home" but rather significant locations. So if it sees you at "123 Any street" most every day that becomes a significant location. Even the document says as much.

"Optimized charging is designed to engage only in locations where you spend the most time, such as your home and place of work."
I know you're right, but man, I haven't left the house in about a year. If my current location isn't significant I don't know what is lol....

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Have either or both of you verified that those options have not turned on by themselves? Mine never worked until I turned them both on (iOS 13.x). Never tried it without on 14.

yes I checked and they are both disabled on my wife’s phone and my sons. And both have optimized charging working every night.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011

Or even simpler, have it look at an alarm you have set for whatever day where ever you are and base it on that time. I guess if there are folks who don't use alarms they would have to look elsewhere perhaps based on usage patterns like suggestions work.
Yes both significant locations and system customization is disabled and optimized charging is working on my sons iPhone 7 and my wife’s 11 pro running 14.2 just fine every night.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.