Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenbeard

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
Error Server Timeout

Renaming cydia worked like a charm for a good while. I think I've stumbled across something new here. Here's the background.... Had the jb error, renamed cydia...cydia was inoperable and whited out, but i could use the optimum app as a remote again. One day I was messing around with iFile, cloning a different app. Upon respring, cydia began to work again (still renamed). The only downside is I can still watch live tv on my optimum app but everytime I try to change the channel on any cable box with the remote, it shows an error that says "Error Network Timeout". I see other people are getting the same issue. I'm wondering if it had to do with what I did in iFile, or if this is another one of cablevision's tricks. Anyone have any insight on this?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Just JB'd my iPad 2 on 5.0.1. I like (but don't love) the tweaks I am using so far. But not really willing to have them over the Optimum app.

Has anyone confirmed a fix under 5.0.1?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Just JB'd my iPad 2 on 5.0.1. I like (but don't love) the tweaks I am using so far. But not really willing to have them over the Optimum app.

Has anyone confirmed a fix under 5.0.1?
I updated to 5.0.1 and installed xcon v14 and the optimum.app crashes on launch. So it doesn't look good. I don't know what others are experiencing.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This is how you fix the new optimum update for those of us who updated it and get the stupid no jailbroken device allowed message:

1) Go into your phones root directory. I use ifile and did this directly from my phone. You can use ssh or whatever you like.
2) Go to var, stash, applications.
3) scroll down to cydia.app and change the name of this app to anything you want. I changed it to notcydia just to see if there program look for cydia in any word and it does not.
4) exit out, re-spring and to back to optimum online and enjoy.
5) GIVE OPTIMUM THE MIDDLE FINGER FOR STICKING THERE NOSE WHERE IT DON'T BELONG!!

PS. I am not a programmer I just tried this to see if there new security was looking for cydia and got lucky so I'm passing it on. Good Luck.

This worked perfectly on my jailbroken 4s and ipad2 5.0.1

norV

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
I had it working on 5.0.1, it was working up until yesterday. Today it just crashes. It crashes with fix and on VPN. Any other way it opens. So if fix is removed it opens whether on VPN or not. With fix but not on VPN it opens, but with fix and VPN... It crashes.

FIXED IT, make sure you are off VPN, luanch the app. SIGN OUT of your account so its prompts to enter user info. Get back on ur VPN, and log in and it will work.

Last edited:

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
I was able to get the app working by using xcon version 11 which is not the latest one in cydia. Didn't try VPN yet. Having VPN issues on my phone for some reason

norV

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
just wondering, what is xcon used for? is it so you dont have to rename the cydia folder?

ThHeartlessHero

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012
just wondering, what is xcon used for? is it so you dont have to rename the cydia folder?

xCon is meant to be a one-stop shop for fixing apps that won't work when a jailbreak is detected. It's constantly updated and is suppose to work on a wide variety of apps.

norV

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
xCon is meant to be a one-stop shop for fixing apps that won't work when a jailbreak is detected. It's constantly updated and is suppose to work on a wide variety of apps.

oh ok, thanks. i just change the name of cydia.app i guess i could try that so when i add sources it doesnt make a new cydia folder lol

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I was able to get the app working by using xcon version 11 which is not the latest one in cydia. Didn't try VPN yet. Having VPN issues on my phone for some reason
Kalex where did you find xcon v11. I searched for it on the internet and the 1 source I found the download link doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.