Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlarsen_eu

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
Denmark
Heh...I'd be interested in how they run Applets server-side. They executed in browsers on the client-side, but browsers no longer support them, and haven't for nearly a decade.
Applets are dead - on the server side Java is running as other languages backend services. At the moment many companies are using Spring Boot in the backend (in Docker / Kubernetes) - as so many other also is running as.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Applets are dead - on the server side Java is running as other languages backend services. At the moment many companies are using Spring Boot in the backend (in Docker / Kubernetes) - as so many other also is running as.
Thanks, I'm well aware of that. I work on OSS Java/Groovy/Kotlin-based framework code. Also using Docker, GraaVM, TestContainers Cloud and so on. Spring Boot isn't the only game anymore. Micronaut and Quarkus are making inroads into the space dominated by Spring, especially for cloud.

JohannesO

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2022
macOS 14.4
  1. issues with audio plugins
  2. java issues
  3. usb hub issues
  4. ...
I'll wait for 14.4.1

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
What I find even funnier is that people have an attitude like "Apple is above Java, Apple has Swift" while completely ignoring that a good part of Apple's backend systems are probably written in Java.

I know someone who worked at Apple. Their back end systems are mostly written in poop and sticky tape apparently. He left, uses Linux and LineageOS and has does nothing to do with technology where possible.

Reactions: RedWeasel

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
I’m a Java backend engineer and my company provided Mac was updated to 14.4 and I’ve been experiencing unexpected termination of my dev environment a few times a day ever since. I thought it was the IDE, but it’s really frustrating to learn that it’s Apple to blame.
Yep. Same thing. IntelliJ is unstable right now.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
All of this ragging on COBOL, have any of you ever done any COBOL programming?

I doubt it. COBOL does have many serious limitations; its instruction set is very limiting, it is wordy and it is highly inefficient. BUT it is a breeze to program with and the resulting code is easy to read and understand.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Um, err, some of us actually use vim you know...

There's a whole load of VSCode users as well.
I use IntelliJ IDEA for Java/Kotlin/Groovy but I have colleagues using VIM and/or VSCode.

I'm partially retired and will be fully retired by this time next year, so I'm going to stick with what I know. :)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
What I find even funnier is that people have an attitude like "Apple is above Java, Apple has Swift" while completely ignoring that a good part of Apple's backend systems are probably written in Java.

There’s no “probably” about it! Just search Apple’s job board: 338 positions open for Java developers right now, across many different teams.

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
Java could fix this by 'poking' into a memory location, and if the OS says it's okay - then continue to write memory, otherwise don't allow it.
This would be terribly slow! Memory access is controlled directly by the CPU (well, the MMU). If any error happens, it's handed over to the kernel that does what he needs to do.

Ebbhead

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
This would be terribly slow! Memory access is controlled directly by the CPU (well, the MMU). If any error happens, it's handed over to the kernel that does what he needs to do.
Indeed. It seems unlikely that this issue can be fixed (quickly) in the JVM without any unacceptable performance hits. The situation is rather extreme, Java and all other languages running on the JVM cannot be used on macOS anymore. I am literary staring at a MacBook M3 Max with 14.4 now.. 😰 downgrading is the only option to make it usable again but this process seems somewhat painful. Would be nice if Apple commented on the situation, but I guess that’s not likely.

Reactions: Chuckeee

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Indeed. It seems unlikely that this issue can be fixed (quickly) in the JVM without any unacceptable performance hits. The situation is rather extreme, Java and all other languages running on the JVM cannot be used on macOS anymore. I am literary staring at a MacBook M3 Max with 14.4 now.. 😰 downgrading is the only option to make it usable again but this process seems somewhat painful. Would be nice if Apple commented on the situation, but I guess that’s not likely.
I alway keep a Time Machine backup on a SSD for my development M1 MacBook Pro, just in case. Fortunately a colleague warned me before I even knew about the minor release.

Spike1999

macrumors regular
May 19, 2020
Heh...I'd be interested in how they run Applets server-side. They executed in browsers on the client-side, but browsers no longer support them, and haven't for nearly a decade.
Applets were deprecated and then marked for removal as of Java 17.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Applets were deprecated and then marked for removal as of Java 17.
I know, but browsers stopped supporting them a long time ago and that was their execution environment.

I've been a Java developer since 1996/7 and haven't worked on any Applet code in the last 20 years or so. I used to teach/maintain Java training courses and removed all the Applet material from the courses about that long ago too.

Icelus

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
JetBrains IDEs
We’ve introduced a workaround to reduce the probability of IDE crashes after updating to macOS Sonoma 14.4.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Confirmed fixed (by Apple) in the macOS 14.4.1 update:

On macOS 14.4:

Code:
% cat sigbus_test.c

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include <pthread.h>

int main() {

pthread_jit_write_protect_np(0);

char* mem = (char*)mmap(0, 16 * 1024, 0, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS|MAP_NORESERVE, -1, 0);
  fprintf(stderr, "addr = %p\n", mem);

char value = *mem;
  fprintf(stderr, "value = %c\n", value);
  return 0;
}

% cc sigbus_test.c -o test

% ./test
addr = 0x100e48000
zsh: killed     ./test

After installing 14.4.1 update:

Code:
% ./test
addr = 0x104460000
zsh: bus error  ./test

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.