Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I think the thing to bear in mind is that most people here who think Java sucks and Python is mana from heaven have never actually inherited a large python project.

Absolutely in no way do I want anything to do with Python ever again.
Anyone who’s complaining about that with python has never inherited a large *ruby* project :p

Java, python, c… can we at least all agree that ruby should have been strangled in its crib?

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Old code never dies, and unlike old soldiers, it never fades away.

I use JetBrains IDEs, which are Java, and have been having more application exceptions than normal. Not good, but also apparently not JetBrains.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
But... yeah. There are a few server-side technologies which are in wide use, but that I personally wouldn't mind seeing die off. Java is one. Node is another. :p
No way either one of those will die off as they are the most popular.

63% of developers use JavaScript, 30% of developers use Java.

Python is 49% - the only language in competition. Everything else is under 30%. Not sure why they list HTML/CSS, Bash Shell or SQL as programming languages. But, hey.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Afterthought eh :

Everyone can pull stats from the internet ;)
That's Apple for you. One quarter numbers are meaningless because the sales typically spike after new model release. Then in 2023, in the third quarter Apple PC Shipments Dropped 2X More Than Any Other Manufacturer In Q3. Apple share dropped to 10.6% which is close to where it was for the last decade. Combine this with 0% share in non-PC computer market (servers, industrial computers etc.) and it becomes clear that Macs remain a marginal player in computer industry.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
That's Apple for you. One quarter numbers are meaningless because the sales typically spike after new model release. Then in 2023, in the third quarter Apple PC Shipments Dropped 2X More Than Any Other Manufacturer In Q3. Apple share dropped to 10.6% which is close to where it was for the last decade. Combine this with 0% share in non-PC computer market (servers, industrial computers etc.) and it becomes clear that Macs remain a marginal player in computer industry.
Just stepping out out of this topic briefly to explain why Macs shipments have been impacted in your reference link.
======
The quarter ending July 1st 2023 was still being affected by manufacturing/transporting issues from China after covid shutdowns of their cities ended in Dec 2022, and Apple was using other manufacturing sites. Combine that with the lack of Apple product announcements from Jan 17 2023 to WWDC 2023, and you see Apple was clearly still struggling to get things normalized a half year later. Also during this first half of 2023 period Silicon Valley had a mini-recession that meant companies were't buying computers as much as they usually do instead were laying off excess worker they accumulated during covid period.
The perception of M3 Macs soon also did a number on all the M2 products, its was a good thing Apple announced the M3 MBP's less then a year later then to finally give the Mac marked a stimulus.
In January 2023, the 14-inch and 16-inch models were updated to M2 Pro/Max
In October 2023, the 14-inch and 16-inch models were updated to M3 Pro/Max
We are still waiting for Apple even this day to update a number of Macs to M3 family. Mac Pro, Mac mini, Mac Studio. 2024 shows products starting to normalize (sales volume) if Apple will update them.
=======
As said earlier this MacOS 14.4 issue should be easy to deterring/fix as it was working with earlier versions of 14.4 betas.

Last edited:

thays133

Suspended
Mar 25, 2021
Anyone who’s complaining about that with python has never inherited a large *ruby* project :p

Java, python, c… can we at least all agree that ruby should have been strangled in its crib?

I have so much frustration with ruby right now and to be more exact Apple install of it. I lost 2 days trying to unscrew up my machine and trying to get my ruby install corrected. I think 2 full nukes of ruby and homebrew and then some other random scripts put in to get everything to point to the right version of ruby.

Apple install of ruby is half baked and gets really screwing with Rosetta and does not go deep enough to figure out the right version of ruby to use….

Flipping from Rosetta terminal and ruby to having to back to arm god what a nightmare and I am still pretty sure I have not fixed everything right. I am just hoping this time I have gotten all my tools pointing to Homebrew and not Apple POS.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
No because once the Java old guard retires, AI will be used to just convert that old Java code into Python! 🤣
Apples and oranges. Our backend group writes overwhelmingly in Python, but we don't kid ourselves about Python's strengths and weaknesses. And we have a few Java devs who work on things we have no intention of making obsolete any time soon.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
If Apple releasing a macOS update and quasi-breaking compatibility with their own DAW isn't irony, I don't know what is. 😆

GrayFlannel

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2024
Yeah Java is still quite relevant.
Yet those just exact hatred towards Java for some weird reason, without knowing how important Java is. And those claiming Java is ancient tech, simply does not understand what we have today is built on those so-called “ancient techs”.

Consider the source. It’s not coming from experienced professional developers.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
NET Core is a bazillion miles ahead of that now

It's not really though. Firstly it changes so quickly it's like trying to piss on an ant from a moving train. Secondly the open source ecosystem around it is absolute garbage. Then there's the telemetry and the stewardship of Microsoft, which were objectionable enough that they were deleting comments off the github thread from people just for stating their position.

No thanks.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Given Apple's history, I sure hope this was an oversight and not a shot over the bow.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I don't use Java much, but I thought Apple had backed out of it completely and Oracle was maintaining it solo now.

Right. Now days I just install OpenJDK using brew, which works great and is the reference implementation of Java. But this isn't a bug in Java, it's caused by a bug or change in behaviour of macOS memory management.

Runtimes and virtual machines which implement their own memory management (such as Java's garbage collector) need to receive segmentation faults ("SIGSEGV", in Unix-family OSs) from the OS so they can handle them in their own way.

In some circumstances, it seems macOS 14.4 isn't sending those SIGSEGV signals to Java as it should, but is just killing the Java runtime entirely.

Reactions: jdb8167 and jole

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
But in this case, my first question was, did Oracle test it during the dev releases? I suspect not.
Duh...try reading the article first. The change wasn't in any pre-release versions. It showed up first in the production release. There was nothing for Oracle (or any of the many other Java implementers) to test.

Reactions: RedWeasel

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Right. Now days I just install OpenJDK using brew, which works great and is the reference implementation of Java. But this isn't a bug in Java, it's caused by a bug or change in behaviour of macOS memory management.

Runtimes and virtual machines which implement their own memory management (such as Java's garbage collector) need to receive segmentation faults ("SIGSEGV", in Unix-family OSs) from the OS so they can handle them in their own way.

In some circumstances, it seems macOS 14.4 isn't sending those SIGSEGV signals to Java as it should, but is just killing the Java runtime entirely.
If you're a professional Java developer, SDKMAN is really the way to manage Java installations nowadays, IMHO. I have to switch back and forth between jdk17 & jdk21 (I use Temurin), and GraalVM for both versions all the time (our Github CI builds use all of these). Without SDKMAN I'd go nuts. That and Testcontainers Cloud make life much easier.

Last edited:

JitteryJimmy

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Apple? How about Oracle? Java is 28 years old! If Sun Microsystems still owned Java this probably never would have happened!
As a Java developer since 1996, and as a software architect that has designed a major system based on Java (on the back end), used by millions or people, I can say ... yeah. Oracle has failed to impress since their takeover of Java. Oracle isn't well known as a reliable narrator of its own business practices.

Last edited:

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
As a software architect that has designed a major system based on Java (on the back end), used by millions or people, I can say ... yeah. Oracle has failed to impress with their takeover of Java.
You haven't used GraalVM for cloud microservices and/or serverless functions?

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023
Duh...try reading the article first. The change wasn't in any pre-release versions. It showed up first in the production release. There was nothing for Oracle (or any of the many other Java implementers) to test.

To build on that -- this is the problem with Apple's dev team/model. They don't understand releases. Implicitly they operate under a rolling/subscription model update schema ignoring the cost on their users of broken releases and updates. Additionally since the fixes are always rolled into bigger updates, we don't really get a stable release until Apple's attention finally moves to the next release.

The idea behind a release candidate is that nothing changes between the release candidate and the released version except the build # and version text. If the RC breaks something major, you fix it and release another RC to make sure you didn't break anything major. I know that's old fashioned but here we are at macOS 14.4 -- the 4th subversion to the 23rd major release -- with new things breaking while major things stay broken release after release.

And this is where Apple lacks strategic alignment. If Apple's vision for the VisionPro is enterprise/hospital/etc sales, this won't fly. The reason why the iPhone made it into the enterprise is that Apple captured the consumer market first putting pressure on IT/etc from above and below. Given the terrible alternatives at the time, all they had to do then was throw in a few bones for the enterprise, and Blackberry, et all were dead. However, if Apple tries to skip that step while not addressing enterprise needs (like stability in the dev/release process), I bet their success in these markets will be middling at best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.