Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Sigh…… 🤦

They had access to beta for MONTHS!!!!!!!!

If it wasn’t fixed by Apple, then most likely whatever broke Java isn’t a bug but most likely a security changes that Java needed to work with.

This isn’t on Apple fault. This is entirely on Java. They need to update it on their end.

Pure laziness by Oracle here.
Did you even read the article, or is reading comprehension just too hard for you? Why do people who are ***** clueless about Java feel the need to rag on Java?

Here, I'll help you out with it anyway: "The issue was not present in the early access releases for macOS 14.4, so it was discovered only after Apple released the update."

Also, Oracle isn't the only developer of Java implementations. It affects each and everyone of them.

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
Out side of that “little” end user use case, there is this great wide world of Java developers! I mean, do you hear yourself? Yeah, Java is a language that is widely used and important. But the powers that be overloaded the word, and the major uses cases for consumers (the majority of people) are mostly gone.
Did you really ever READ (edit: AND understand!!) my post?! I don't think so, so here we go: <.)>><

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
For a non-dev here, I still have programs asking to use Java, namely MATLAB.
Good thing updating macOS is a little more forgiving than iOS or iPadOS.

Reactions: Chuckeee

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Seems like there are a few issues with the latest update. Glad that I did not update my Macs yet.

Reactions: arkitect

MagicBird

Suspended
Dec 28, 2023
Most used programming languages among developers worldwide as of 2023

For the ignorant Apple fans, here are the stats from the linked chart:
Java - 30.55%
Swift - 4.65%
Objective-C - 2.31%

Then, of course, who cares? Macs are mostly an afterthought in computer world anyways.
Afterthought eh :

Everyone can pull stats from the internet ;)

bice

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2015
To be fair the poster will probably do a better job than our technical management which seems to go to conferences and generate a lot of expenses and come back talking about Kubernetes, the cloud and how we should outsource everything to India, then spend loads of money on that and deliver nothing and then magically disappear and be replaced with people who do exactly the same thing again.
Yeah, such management is bad and found in multiple places.
Personally I still prefer those to new developers entering the labour market with strong beliefs that the language and tools they used in school will magically solve all issues and then enthusiastically go on and start rewriting all old code. And because they can't be bothered to research business logic or feature requirements, as soon as they run into challenges that their new tool/language won't magically solve, they immediately limit the scope and end up with "new" versions of applications that runs a new codebase but is worse that the old in all ways .

By the it is time to move on to a new employer, leaving all the issues, feature gap and extra layer of maintenance behind.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
Instead of picking on the Java ecosystems, maybe you should ask the right question:

Why is a dot release of macOS this late in the release cycle breaking the workflows of so many developers on their Macs? Upgrading this late in the cycle should not break things, it should fix known bugs still lingering in the codebase and make the system more stable.

Last edited:

RedWeasel

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Personally I still prefer those to new developers entering the labour market with strong beliefs that the language and tools they used in school will magically solve all issues and then enthusiastically go on and start rewriting all old code.
XML is bad and too rigid! *grabs pitchfork* Down with XML, all hail the JSON king!

And now we have JSON Schema...

Last edited:

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
That's not a reason to keep maintaining dinosaur tech. Where I work, most of our server side problems are caused by buggy java apps and applets. Java needs to die.

Those issues are pretty much guaranteed not to be due to issues in Java as a technology: they are far more likely caused by bad implementation.

Switching technology is not going to make bad developers magically good. Bad code in Kotlin or Swift or Rust is not going to be any better than bad code written in Java.

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
Oh, and here’s an article from this very site about Ask Toolbar

Oh, I see. Pretty short sighted from Oracle. Thankfully I stopped using their builds as soon as OpenJDK arrived.

Reactions: Zapski

fff8e7

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2024
Wow, no wonder why my MATLAB on Mac has been randomly unresponsive lately. Luckily, I have a Windows laptop to get the work done, otherwise I would really be on the verge of a breakdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.