Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

frgough

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Your opinions are flying in the face of those 100% customer sat numbers. Please don't confuse your own confirmation biases for reality.

If he's not happy, then, obviously, the 100% customer sat number is inaccurate. Quoting it to discredit him is pretty sloppy critical thinking.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
The biggest problem with Yosemite IMHO is that Apple has failed to recognize the difference between an OS used by an iPhone and that of a computer user.

The visible surface area of an iPhone is small. The applications typically eat up nearly 100% of the viewable area. The same is not true with a computer user.

IMHO the acceptance of iOS7 wasn't particularly good. One poster on here pointed out that a CNET did a user poll, NOT a CNET review, but a poll of "what do you think of iOS7" for end users, and it got a low score, like 1.5 out of 5, whereas iOS6 had a score on the order of 4.5 out of 5. Another posted the fact that iPad sales dropped after the release of iOS7. Is there correlation here? I don't know, but I think it would be worth looking into. Another posted that the "back off" rate for iOS7 (those that "un-did" the installation of iOS7 and went back to iOS6) was high, like 30%.

The trouble with an iPhone is that it's tied to a contract, and the contract and its costs may dictate how well it sells, not whether or not it's a great OS. High sales may not acknowledge acceptance of the OS, but rather the willingness of people to tolerate the OS because of low prices.

This, IMHO, is where Apple made its mistake. Where have you ever seen such rebuttal of an OS? Sure, I'm sure there were some, if not a lot, when MacOS transitioned to Aqua around 2000, but entire core of the OS was changing to a Unix based system, and let's be real - the company was going down the tubes.

It was OS X based Aqua and iOS using the, now apparently "idiotic" use of skeuomorphic designs of Jobs and company that pulled the company from a graveyard destination. This OS is not a major, system overhaul of the underpinnings, it's a supposed "facelift" along with some enhancements that could have been achieved with or without an interface change, and it's based on a change that suggests Apple failed, reasonably failed, to recognize was not an improvement.

I really have to wonder if this isn't Wall Street driven. It surely wouldn't be the first time they've taken a sound company and driven it into the ground with their bean counter based "reasoning."

Just my opinions.

Why do car comapnies constantly tweak the designs of their cars? Because stagnation/trying more of the same is the enemy of progress. Also, same = less incentive to buy new things. It's not so much that a change in design philosophy is a rejection of the old, but simply a venture into the new and different. I see the argument that Yosemite's "flatness" is just a return to old GUI's, but not all flat interfaces are the same. Apple simply decided that it had explored Aqua to its potential, and it was time to move in a new direction (same line of thinking on iOS, though much more dramatic with Forestall sticking to his guns to the point of being let go).

Another easily predictable thing about human nature is that people don't necessarily like change, no matter what that change is. I bet if you went in the reverse (flat to skeuomorphic) you would have the same "new OS X design sucks" threads. Think of a bell curve - there will always be people at one extreme that hate a new design, no matter what it is. Don't forget the effect of sampling bias - people who are unhappy are much more likely to voice an opinion than the majority who are silently happy.

Should Apple keep Aqua and skeuomorphism for the next 20 years? If Apple never pushed the boundaries and tried something new, we would never have had Aqua to begin with. The flatness of iOS 7 and 8 and Yosemite will stick around for 7-8 years or what have you, and then Apple will come up with the next paradigm shift, and there will be the same people posting how Apple should have left the design alone, allthewhile most users will be perfectly content with the new GUI of the 2020's.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
If he's not happy, then, obviously, the 100% customer sat number is inaccurate. Quoting it to discredit him is pretty sloppy critical thinking.

A single person's bias does not invalidate that statistic. He blatantly stated "Where have you ever seen such rebuttal of an OS?", which is simply not true. The majority of users clearly does not share this sentiment. There is however a VOCAL MINORITY that does, but mistaking that for a majority simply isn't backed by fact.

El-Gerto

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Hello!

Sorry for not reading all the last 98 pages ;)

I´m looking how to hide the names of the dock-apps.

Maybe someone knows....

Hyperdock, Tinkertool and Liteicon don´t work so far for this....

Thanks in advance !

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
here is a way to enable a dark dock only and keep a light menu bar. I personally find the dark menu bar looks much darker than the dark dock, so this is very welcome.

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/dark-mode-dock-only/
Agree with you. Unfortunately, the fix you linked worked initially, then I got a slow propagation of dark menu bar through all my Apps. Had to take the patch back out. Hope you had better luck.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Toast - burnt

From an administrators post

"Toast 12 is currently not compatible with MAC OS Yosemite. I will update you once a patch or update has been released. "

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topi...2-on-yosemite/

and this for a product Roxio updated in August:(:(

Will be interesting to see how the patch is released, often the application won't even start for me so it can't check for updates

zoff

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
From an administrators post

"Toast 12 is currently not compatible with MAC OS Yosemite. I will update you once a patch or update has been released. "

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topi...2-on-yosemite/

and this for a product Roxio updated in August:(:(

Will be interesting to see how the patch is released, often the application won't even start for me so it can't check for updates

Interesting I have Toast 8 working.

Cobley

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Problems with Yosemite and Windows Phone apps

I use Windows Phone app to sync my Macbook with my Nokia Lumia. Since 'upgrading' to Yosemit, the mac no longer sees the phone, and app does not work. Anyone got a fix?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Orientation (for discussion of the not-so-little things)

I'll respond in due course to some of the bigger things that are recently discussed in this topic, but not here.

Some of those things way off-topic from the essence of the opening post, so I respectfully draw people's attention to the following topics:
Hint: you can use the multi-quote feature (the quotation mark button) to select any post(s) for quotation in a separate topic. Make your selection, visit the appropriate topic, click 'Post Reply'; there'll be a small on-screen hint offering to include the selected quotes from other topics.

Abba1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
A single person's bias does not invalidate that statistic. He blatantly stated "Where have you ever seen such rebuttal of an OS?", which is simply not true. The majority of users clearly does not share this sentiment. There is however a VOCAL MINORITY that does, but mistaking that for a majority simply isn't backed by fact.

I agree with you. There are some problems, but there always are with a new OS. Most users, including me, are quite pleased despite the problems -- some of which I have occasionally posted, and will continue to post here. In any case, the number of people updating to Yosemite indicates that the statistic is definitely relevant.

Abba1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Safari

Interesting problem with Safari opening to blank page with two columns. It only occurs on opening and only on rare (I've had it happen three times) occasions. If I close Safari and open again, Safari comes up correctly. It's not serious, just a minor flaw -just a "little thing"- which I hope Apple will correct.

Last edited:

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
What is three fingered navigation in finder? I don' find it does anything?
If you swipe with three fingers left or right it will perform the backward / forward action like in Safari. Minus the animation though. You have to enable it in System Preferences though. By default it's set to two-finger swipe which for whatever insane reason doesn't work in Finder.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
My only concern with Yosemite is that I'm experiencing some slowdown after a while even on my MBA (things seem to be even worse on the rMBP as I understand from other's complaints). Everything's perfectly smooth after booting the machine but eventually, after using it for one day or so the animations (especially launching Mission Control, switching between spaces and full screen apps) get noticeably choppy. I don't think there's anything that can be done about it right now, I made a clean install and even executed an Onyx automation, but the problem persists. This is clearly an optimization problem in Yosemite and I really hope it will get better with the future updates, because overall I love the OS very much, but this is frustrating. Especially that the overall speed of the OS doesn't change a bit, the operations remain pretty fast, only the animations get choppy - and the fact that they are perfect upon a reboot, so it's not that the hardware can't handle it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.