Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Finally it is working on a Macmini2,1 (Intel Core2Duo 1,83 Ghz / 2Go RAM / GMA950)
I will also try on my MacBook 2,1, there is no reason (same proc, same graphic card, better freq (2Ghz), more RAM, SSHD)

Cloning it over to your Macbook should be sufficient. If it doesn't boot after you clone the drive, go to https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nsupported-macs.1889851/page-37#post-24695866 and find the link for the Refind flash drive image. Write the image to a USB drive (using the method described on that post), boot from it, disable SIP (if needed; mine did), then your installation should boot from there. Once it's booted, select your internal hard drive in System Preferences/Startup Disk and it should boot on its own without the USB drive connected.

I believe that there's a command line way to do this with Terminal, but the method escapes me at the moment.

I'd also mount the EFI and double-check that firmware.scap didn't make a return. If so, delete it. Check /System/Library/CoreServices for it as well.

Last edited:

acayon

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
Hi everyone.

I traed again to install El Capitan on Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 using the first method and one I try to start with "OS X Base System", the installation won't start. In verbose mode I can see the last message like this:
root device uuid is 'xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx'.

Any one can help me?

I doesn't apply the 32 boot efi files because I understand my mac is 64 bits (I check in this web: http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers...-bit-macs-64-bit-efi-boot-in-64-bit-mode.html:
Is my supposition correct?

Thanks

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Also I tried with boot.efi and boot32.efi and the result is the same:

Did you clone an install from a supported Mac or are you trying to directly install El Cap to your Mini? A direct install will not work.
[doublepost=1506323695][/doublepost]
Remember:
1- Check efi partitions, specially the disk0s1, mounting them. If you find an apple folder, delete it, and be sure there's no firmware.scap on your computer.
2- if refind is not installed in disk0s1, to boot from it you need to press alt key when booting and to select efi drive you'll see.
3- if it doesn't boot, having done 1 and 2, try to create a refind USB stick and boot from it.
4- if refind appears but EC doesn't boot, repeat all the steps, something has been done wrong.

My error was in cloning my Mac Pro 2,1 El Cap install to my Macbook 3,1, and not replacing the boot.efi with a 64-bit one. I ended up successfully installing it on the three different unsupported plastic Macbooks in a different manner, as highlighted in my long post here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nsupported-macs.1889851/page-39#post-25079412

Belated thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

acayon

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
I tried 3 methods: cloning a Mac OS X Capitan from iMac (1 year ago), creating pen drive and using MacPostFactor in two modes (direct into HDD and in a Pen Drive installer).
I only get to work installer with MacPostFactor creating a PenDrive, but it was not detected on boot Alt menu (my be Pen Drive is not compatible) and I decided to copy into a partition in the main HDD and start from here. One it starts I could see the OS X Hackers logo, then the apple logo and then appears the Creating Restoring partition and finally I can select the only drive. I select, and El Capitan installation starts. But then, between 2 and 5 minutes, it crashes and old OS starts.
When I try MacPostFactor into another drive, I can see the OS X Hackers logo and then appears de Creating Restoring partition, but it restarts and repeat the logo and Creating Restoring partition again and again.

My Mac Mini was the original but with a change: I replace the SupreDrive for an adapter in order to connect a MacBook Air HardDrive (1.7'' SSD, with an adapter between 2.5'' and lif/zif connector).
The 1.7'' SSD was the main HardDrive and works fine with Lion. The 1.7'' SSD contains 4 partitions I doesen't change, and 1 o 2 additional partitions for test:
- disk0s1: Main Lion OS
- disk0s2: Recovery
- disk0s3: Cloned Lion OS
- disk0s4: Automatically Cloned Recovery with I Clone the Lion OS
- disk0s5: Blank parition using for install with pendrive or form MacPostFactor HDD mode
- disk0s6: Cloned Pendrive created with MacPostFactor USB mode
Additionaly in the secondary HDD (Mac Mini original HDD drive) is only contains one partition:
- disk1s1: Data partition

Note: When I try the method 1 with a pendrive, I notieced that if I remove the adapter and the 1.7'' SSD, fails and show a folder with blinking question mark, and I suspect that the adapter and the 1.7'' SSD was not the problem.

Any idea? Any of this symptoms was familiar? Do I must avoid the main HDD or be carefully with Recovery partitions o something like this?

Thanks a lot.

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
I tried 3 methods: cloning a Mac OS X Capitan from iMac (1 year ago), creating pen drive and using MacPostFactor in two modes (direct into HDD and in a Pen Drive installer).
I only get to work installer with MacPostFactor creating a PenDrive, but it was not detected on boot Alt menu (my be Pen Drive is not compatible) and I decided to copy into a partition in the main HDD and start from here. One it starts I could see the OS X Hackers logo, then the apple logo and then appears the Creating Restoring partition and finally I can select the only drive. I select, and El Capitan installation starts. But then, between 2 and 5 minutes, it crashes and old OS starts.
When I try MacPostFactor into another drive, I can see the OS X Hackers logo and then appears de Creating Restoring partition, but it restarts and repeat the logo and Creating Restoring partition again and again.

My Mac Mini was the original but with a change: I replace the SupreDrive for an adapter in order to connect a MacBook Air HardDrive (1.7'' SSD, with an adapter between 2.5'' and lif/zif connector).
The 1.7'' SSD was the main HardDrive and works fine with Lion. The 1.7'' SSD contains 4 partitions I doesen't change, and 1 o 2 additional partitions for test:
- disk0s1: Main Lion OS
- disk0s2: Recovery
- disk0s3: Cloned Lion OS
- disk0s4: Automatically Cloned Recovery with I Clone the Lion OS
- disk0s5: Blank parition using for install with pendrive or form MacPostFactor HDD mode
- disk0s6: Cloned Pendrive created with MacPostFactor USB mode
Additionaly in the secondary HDD (Mac Mini original HDD drive) is only contains one partition:
- disk1s1: Data partition

Note: When I try the method 1 with a pendrive, I notieced that if I remove the adapter and the 1.7'' SSD, fails and show a folder with blinking question mark, and I suspect that the adapter and the 1.7'' SSD was not the problem.

Any idea? Any of this symptoms was familiar? Do I must avoid the main HDD or be carefully with Recovery partitions o something like this?

Thanks a lot.

I didn’t have any luck with MacPostFactor and El Cap. It would boot the installer but kernel panic shortly into the process. I tried a number of different USB drives but nothing worked. I stuck with method 3 from this thread and it worked for me, but I did have some issues that the refind flashdrive install helped solve.

skyfly555

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2016
I got it to work on my 4,1. I used my 2009 Macbook Pro to install El Cap onto the drive, then hooked it up to my Mac Pro (which is a 2,1 running El Cap unsupported) to do all of the command line fu and file moving. I initially had trouble with getting it to boot from refind, but I downloaded the refind usb image, installed it to usb and booted from it, removed SIP, booted my el cap install, and found firmware.scap in the standalone/i386 directory and the APPLE directory had returned in the EFI partition. I deleted these, reblessed the refind x64 efi, rebuilt the kext cache, and everything works. Now I just need to figure out why my graphics memory only reports 6mb, but that's a kext issue I'm sure I can fix after I get some sleep...

EDIT: Doh! I installed the x1300 kexts by mistake. Installing the x3100 kexts, changing their permissions to root:wheel, and rebuilding the kext cache fixed the video problem.

As far as how it runs... pretty darn good. Some choppiness, but it's reasonable. DVD Player and Maps don't work, but there are other apps (VLC, Google Maps, Movist) that can take their place. 720p videos play fine on YouTube; 720p60 videos are choppy. Grid stack view is really slow, so I changed it to List view instead. Launchpad is decent and not too slow; just a bit choppy. No transparency anywhere. cDock2 can be used to theme the dock to not be blasting white. And of course, brightness controls and wake from sleep don't work. Shady can be used for brightness controlling, and NoSleep can be used to keep the Macbook from sleeping, but you'll have to shut it down if you want to be mobile. Overall, it runs better than Yosemite did on this Macbook.

Now, to get it to work on my 3,1...

EDIT: With a quick disk clone and some editing to boot 32-bit EFI and GMA950 kexts, it's now also running on my 2,1 Blackbook (see photo)...

EDIT #3: ... and now on my 3,1. That's all of them!

Hello, friend!

You are incredible, you have so many Macs :)

Thanks for sharing method 3 is working with your machines.
[doublepost=1506406656][/doublepost]
Hi everyone.

I traed again to install El Capitan on Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 using the first method and one I try to start with "OS X Base System", the installation won't start. In verbose mode I can see the last message like this:
root device uuid is 'xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx'.

Any one can help me?

I doesn't apply the 32 boot efi files because I understand my mac is 64 bits (I check in this web: http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers...-bit-macs-64-bit-efi-boot-in-64-bit-mode.html:
Is my supposition correct?

Thanks
Have you tried method 3 with the latest 32bit boot.efi? Check it!
[doublepost=1506406741][/doublepost]
Hey guys! Thank you for whatever help you may have been preparing to give me, but I solved it myself - installed appleusbaudio from Yosemite!
Great to know this about appleusbaudio!
As I've never used it, I didn't know even it exists :)
[doublepost=1506406823][/doublepost]
Finally it is working on a Macmini2,1 (Intel Core2Duo 1,83 Ghz / 2Go RAM / GMA950)
I will also try on my MacBook 2,1, there is no reason (same proc, same graphic card, better freq (2Ghz), more RAM, SSHD)
God to know method 3 works with your macMini, I think you macmini is the first one (in the world) to have El Cap installed and running!
[doublepost=1506407036][/doublepost]
So I will try again.
Regarding kexts, there is an AppleHDA.kext in EC-Base-kexts directory and one in EC-GMA950-kexts directory. Which one should I copy ? Both ? Is there a particular order to do so ?
Thank you.
[doublepost=1505935908][/doublepost]
I have noticed that the command "chown -R root:wheel" does nothing. To actually change file owner I have untick the option "Ignore ownership on this volume" (Right click on volume > Read info > Option below permissions)
What you said:
I have noticed that the command "chown -R root:wheel" does nothing. To actually change file owner I have untick the option "Ignore ownership on this volume" (Right click on volume > Read info > Option below permissions)
is very important!
Thank you for remembering this to everyone.
It's written in post #1, but I don't know if people are reading that, because method 3 is soooo long :)
[doublepost=1506407643][/doublepost]
Hello, friend!

[doublepost=1506406741][/doublepost]
Great to know this about appleusbaudio!
As I've never used it, I didn't know even it exists :)
[doublepost=1506406823][/doublepost]
God to know method 3 works with your macMini, I think you macmini is the first one (in the world) to have El Cap installed and running!
[doublepost=1506407036][/doublepost]
What you said:
is very important!
Thank you for remembering this to everyone.
It's written in post #1, but I don't know if people are reading that, because method 3 is soooo long :)
Ouch!

The "Ignore ownership on this volume" was not written in post #1 (I though it was); so I've just added the comment as a note to post #1. Thank you!

Reactions: zappaesque

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Hello, friend!

Yeah. I'm a collector :)

It's nice having an electronics recycler around here. Cheap $25 Macbooks from schools. I have 6 polycarbonate Macbooks total- 1- original Core Duo (runs Linux Mint), 2- 2,1s (one is black, the other is my son's), 1-3,1, and 2-4,1s (one is black). All of these (except for the 2,1 black Macbook that I bought from a craigslist seller) had the firmware locked down by the school, but changing the RAM in the machines removed the lock so that I could tinker. I only have three Magsafes though... bummer. Now I'm working on getting the old PowerPC machines I want :)

The easiest way for me (on my white 4,1) was to remove the SSD from my 2009 Macbook Pro, install the Macbook hard drive, and install El Capitan there. I started with a supported install, then just moved the drive to my Mac Pro for all of the Terminal and file work. I initially had an issue with the prelinking, but unticking "ignore ownership" on the drive and again changing the kext permissions fixed that. I also used the wrong video kexts (x1300 instead of x3100) at first, but that was an easy fix as well (copy the proper video kexts over, then rebuild the kext cache and reboot). I also had an issue with SIP re-enabling, but your method of using the refind flashdrive image to disable SIP and again removing the firmware.scap files fixed all of that. From there, it was easy to clone the install to the black 2,1 and replace the EFI (with the 32-bit one) and video kexts, and prelink the kernel again so it would boot on that machine. For the 3,1 I simply cloned my 4,1 install and it booted right up.

Again, thanks for the work involved and for outlining the procedure. This was a lot of fun :)

Last edited:

IIcx

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2017
With my black Macbook 2.2 I ended up getting frustrated with it, and shoved the guts from a 2009 Early/Mid 5.2 into it.

I would not recommend this path. Apple changed pretty much all the cable ends on the logic board, and half the standoff locations. You end up replacing pretty much all the internals/screen with parts from the donor that slightly don't line up. But in the end it turned out nice and other than the white ports along the side you can't tell it was swapped. Bit of a drastic approach taking the hardware route instead of software, but hey, its running 10.11 now.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
With my black Macbook 2.2 I ended up getting frustrated with it, and shoved the guts from a 2009 Early/Mid 5.2 into it.

I would not recommend this path. Apple changed pretty much all the cable ends on the logic board, and half the standoff locations. You end up replacing pretty much all the internals/screen with parts from the donor that slightly don't line up. But in the end it turned out nice and other than the white ports along the side you can't tell it was swapped. Bit of a drastic approach taking the hardware route instead of software, but hey, its running 10.11 now.
Pics?

Wouldn't it have been much easier just to make a complete MacBook5,2? :confused:

IIcx

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2017
This was definitely a two forks in the road type choice where you end up plowing straight through the fork.

I didn't take any pics during the teardown/build up, thought about it but felt it to much to document. Plus I was scrambling to get it done before leaving for work tonight so that there wouldn't be the two giant piles of laptop guts scattered across the kitchen table for several days.

Both the 2.2 and the 5.2 came from a local university's surplus store, both cost $15. The 5.2 was in rough shape, like it had been kicked down a concrete hallway. The black 2.2 looks new, and I always really wanted a Black Macbook.

Seen a question on iFix it about someone asking if the boards could be swapped and an answer saying that only the drive cables and heatsinks needed to be changed. And believing the internet thought I'd try it (should have known better).

I'll try to recount some of the issues, starting around when I tried putting the 5.2 logic board in. You will have to tape a few of the standoffs that no longer line up with the new motherboards mount holes to prevent them from grounding out.
Biggest issue was the heatsink mounts/logic board standoffs. Currently only have it attached by two mount points that are across each other. I took some pliers and wiggled/broke the existing standoffs to get the brass nut that's molded in them, and used that to screw the heat sink down the the board. Most other screw holes line up around the edges. Due to logic board plugs having different connectors from the 2.2 to the 5.2, speakers have to be changed, the right one has different dimensions and is a bit hard to fit back in due to a stand off blocking it, had to trim some plastic there.
Display cable from the LCD is different, so the LCD and frame from the 2009 were swapped into the black housing. Bluetooth swapped out, Superdrive swapped out since the connector on both the back of the drive and logic board were different. Hard drive port/cable swapped. Battery port/cable swapped. Swapped wifi cards, etc.

Worst part of the whole deal was screwing something down into place, only to find the cable didn't fit or a screw didn't line up. Which you then had to take three steps back to fix. Took a lot of extra time, but managed to have the swap done in about 4 hours or so.

Reactions: EugW

acayon

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2016
I'm using the boot.efi and boot32.efi (renamed to boot.efi) from OSXHachers Patch Files with AutoPatch and doesn't works.
Then I tried the MacPostFactor 2.0.1 and HDD method starts Creating Recovery (small) fails because it's restart again and again.
I tried the USB method and the installation starts and fails quickly on empty partition, and on previous OS partition arrives about on 60% and fails with crash and shows screen with message saying that the max will be restart in few seconds.

Do you know any thing different to try?

I was thinking to install a clean OS El Capitan an external HDD using my iMac of 2008, and then clone into secondary HDD in my Mac Mini and then try to star changing any file or something.
Do you think that's will work? El Capitan must start using the external HDD or is better to clone into internal HDD?

Sorry for do so many questions.

Thanks

citaret

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
I tried to follow method m3v3 to set up El Capitan on an external drive, the working mac is a macbook 7,1 with newly installed EC, the target is a mac mini 2,1. However, I stuck in step 9, after tried for server times, the same error appeared.

Here is the output:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext IOBluetoothUSBDFU.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleStorageDrivers.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67050 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA16 for kext AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleIntelGMA950.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOHDAFamily.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext DspFuncLib.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleMikeyDriver.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleHDAController.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleHDA.kext
kxld[com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBEHCI]: The super class vtable 'vtable for IOUSBHostPipe' for vtable 'vtable for AppleUSBEHCIPipe' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.
kxld[com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBEHCI]: The super class vtable 'vtable for IOUSBHostPipe' for vtable 'vtable for AppleUSBEHCIPipe' is out of date. Make sure your kext has been built against the correct headers.
Link failed (error code 5).
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBEHCI; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Can't use AppleUSBEHCI.kext - not linked.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBUHCI; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBUHCIPCI; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBOHCI; aborting prelink.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.

How can I find the problem? Thanks. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Last edited:

mattschwantes

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2016
I tried to follow method m3v3 to set up El Capitan on an external drive, the working mac is a macbook 7,1 with newly installed EC, the target is a mac mini 2,1. However, I stuck in step 9, after tried for server times, the same error appeared.

Here is the output:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext IOBluetoothUSBDFU.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleStorageDrivers.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67050 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA16 for kext AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleIntelGMA950.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext IOHDAFamily.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext DspFuncLib.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleMikeyDriver.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleHDAController.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext AppleHDA.kext
Link failed (error code 5).
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBEHCI; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBUHCI; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBUHCIPCI; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBOHCI; aborting prelink.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.

How can I find the problem? Thanks. Any suggestion is appreciated.

I recall encountering this once before. This happened because the copy of the KEXTs was not successful. I recommend that you copy each kext one-at-a-time, deleting first the old kext with "rm -r kext.old" and then copying with "cp -r pathto\kext.new kext.new". This is the only way I've found to ensure the kexts are actually updated/correct. no promises though, this is just my suggestion.

Reactions: citaret

citaret

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
I recall encountering this once before. This happened because the copy of the KEXTs was not successful. I recommend that you copy each kext one-at-a-time, deleting first the old kext with "rm -r kext.old" and then copying with "cp -r pathto\kext.new kext.new". This is the only way I've found to ensure the kexts are actually updated/correct. no promises though, this is just my suggestion.

Hi mattschwankes,

It works! Now I can enjoy the new system on the old mac. Thank you.

BTW: Have you managed to make the WIFI work?

Last edited:

citaret

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
There is one problem when running EC on Macmini 2.1, the display gets no signal when waking from sleep, therefore, I have to keep it awake all the time. Is it a known issue, or is there something I can do to avoid that?

Except that and wifi, it works very well. Thanks for the effort.

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
There is one problem when running EC on Macmini 2.1, the display gets no signal when waking from sleep, therefore, I have to keep it awake all the time. Is it a known issue, or is there something I can do to avoid that?

Except that and wifi, it works very well. Thanks for the effort.

You may have to replace your wifi card if you want working wifi. I've got a Macbook 3,1 with a replacement wifi card from a Macbook 1,1 (the old wifi card died) and it doesn't work with El Cap.

The sleep issue is a known problem, due to the lack of hardware accelerated graphics. There is no solution other than to keep your system from sleeping. There's a program called NoSleep that you can use to keep your system awake.

mattschwantes

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2016
You may have to replace your wifi card if you want working wifi. I've got a Macbook 3,1 with a replacement wifi card from a Macbook 1,1 (the old wifi card died) and it doesn't work with El Cap.

The sleep issue is a known problem, due to the lack of hardware accelerated graphics. There is no solution other than to keep your system from sleeping. There's a program called NoSleep that you can use to keep your system awake.

I used a USB wifi device (TP-link wn725n v2), which has El Capitan kext support from the manufacturer. This also seems to keep the usb ports from falling asleep, which some people have mentioned.

citaret

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017

Thanks.

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Apple issued Security Update 2017-004 today, and it can be installed on an unsupported machine, but there are some steps that need to be taken after the install is complete.

There shouldn't be any issues with Mac Pros that have been upgraded to support El Capitan, as the boot.efi isn't changed or modified by the update. This post pertains to MacBooks and other models that have unsupported graphics and other hardware, and require the steps that @skyfly555 outlined to get the OS to install.

@skyfly555 outlined most of what needs to be done in post #932. Connect your machine to another Mac via TDM (which must be running El Capitan) and follow steps 5 and 8. Before following step 9, you'll need to go to /Volumes/<your HDD>/System/Library/Caches/ on your newly-updated machine and remove the com.apple.kext.caches folder. From the machine that you're doing your Terminal work from, go to /Volumes/<your HDD>/System/Library/Caches/ and copy that machine's com.apple.kext.caches folder over to your updated machine. You can now follow step 9 and build the prelinked kernel and kernel cache. Reboot and all should be well. The first boot after all of this will take some time, and the boot screen will show a full progress indicator, but no worries. Just give it time and it'll boot to the login screen/desktop.

In other words, you'll have to replace the kexts once again, change their permissions to root:wheel, replace your caches folder with one from a non-updated machine, and then rebuild your relinked kernel and kernel cache.

If you get an error that the contents of your caches folder has changed, delete the com.apple.kext.caches folder from your newly-updated machine and recopy the same folder from the machine that you're doing your terminal work from. It should then rebuild and relink with no issue. This error appears if you try to rebuild and relink the kernel and cache more than once, as I did when I forgot to delete the AMDSupport.kext extension that I didn't need.

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Apple issued Security Update 2017-004 today, and it can be installed on an unsupported machine, but there are some steps that need to be taken after the install is complete.
This security update installed on my MacPro1,1 without any extra steps taken and everything is still working just fine.
So are these extra steps needed only for certain models?

zappaesque

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
This security update installed on my MacPro1,1 without any extra steps taken and everything is still working just fine.
So are these extra steps needed only for certain models?

Yes. I should have clarified my post a little better. There shouldn't be any issues with Mac Pros that have been upgraded to support El Capitan, as the boot.efi isn't changed or modified by the update. My post pertains to MacBooks and other models that have unsupported graphics and other hardware, and require the steps that @skyfly555 outlined to get the OS to install.

I've modified my original post to reflect this.

albercik

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Hello Everyone.

At the beginning - I'm not the person who 'just asks the forum for googleitfor.me'. Before writing this post - I've spent a houndred hours of google'ing, trying, experimenting etc. I've even almost fried my mac trying to resolve my problem...

The history: I needed a Macbook to extend my work capabilities so I can support not ony PC's, but Macs also. I have just started my company so it isn't that simple for me to go and buy new macbook. It's simply too expensive, and personally - I think that $1000 for a metal-piece-of-junk-with-bitten-apple-on-it is way too much anyway. So - suddenly - my wife gave me an old MacBook Air 1,1 (A1237) as a gift (she bought it from her's work colleague).

And now I'm in quite bad position. The newest OS X for this MacBook is 10.7. I can't turn it back (anyone who ever refused a gift from his wife will know why). So I've decided to install El Capitan on it. I've even bought the installer on Apple Store. But it seems - it just won't work on this machine.

What I've tried:
1. MacOSExtractor method. The disk is created but can't boot from it (mac is going back into 10.7 immediately after selecting 10.11 installer drive).
2. MacPostFactor method. Same as #1.
3. Clone existing machine. I have a friend with A1304 so it was really simple to make a dmg of his hard drive and the restore it usb drive. Still no luck - can't rebuild the kernel cache (incorrect permissions), and after disabling kernel cache in boot flags - crossed circle after first steps of loading os.
4. There's a developers thread on this Forum regarding boot.efi for El Capitan where's a method described: extract os x installer app to hard drive. Followed step by step gave me the same results as #1 and #2 BUT if I'll leave the original boot.efi (64bit) - the installer starts and I can see "welcome, choose a language" screen but both my mouse and my keyboard ain't working. It's the farrest I could go at the moment.

Has anyone any idea? I always use verbose mode, but with methods #1, #2 and #4 with non-original boot.efi - gives me nothing as it won't even try to boot.

Help please cause I'm pulling my hairs off.

Few years back I've successfully installed 10.9 on my Mac Pro 2,1 without even one problem. Now - I'm stuck.

Best regards
Tom

saimadma

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Hi,
I've a problem. I have black screen with a cursor after apple loading screen.
I tried to switch to another harddisk but still didn't work.
Please Help me.

I'm using method 3 and I actually have it successfully installed once but after i install duet display and it made the whole system unbootable and i have to do everything in method 3 again and ended up with the problem that i told up there.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 244
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.