Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

BabyWolf

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2022
Hola!

My MacBook:
Late 2006; MacBook 2,1; 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb, GMA 950
Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07
SMC 1.13f3

HDD 320Gb:
ElCapitan (was Lion 10.7.5) ~260Gb
Install (installer Mountain Lion 10.8.4) ~8Gb
ML (Mountain Lion 10.8.4) ~21Gb

El Capitan 10.11.6.app in Applications.

I try osx-patcher 1.1.5, installer from flash drive 16Gb.
After start installer i get the message:
OS X coud not be installed on you computer.
No packages were eligible for install.

I try pikify3.1.v14, instal to volume ElCapitan.
After reboot and start from volume ElCapitan, get installer window and message:
OS X El Capitan is already installed.

What are your tips?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hola!

My MacBook:
Late 2006; MacBook 2,1; 1.83 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb, GMA 950
Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07
SMC 1.13f3

HDD 320Gb:
ElCapitan (was Lion 10.7.5) ~260Gb
Install (installer Mountain Lion 10.8.4) ~8Gb
ML (Mountain Lion 10.8.4) ~21Gb

El Capitan 10.11.6.app in Applications.

I try osx-patcher 1.1.5, installer from flash drive 16Gb.
After start installer i get the message:
OS X coud not be installed on you computer.
No packages were eligible for install.

I try pikify3.1.v14, instal to volume ElCapitan.
After reboot and start from volume ElCapitan, get installer window and message:
OS X El Capitan is already installed.

What are your tips?
maybe one of these might help https://osxhackers.net/patchers/

Flipao83

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
Hello i used Greg Hrutkay El Capitan image, restored it to my upgrade iMac 4.1 and i can boot, but don't have usb inputs, do i need to modify some files on the dmg?

ggkameleon

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2014
Salut ! J'ai un MacBook blanc fin 2009 core 2 Duo 2,4 Gha X1300 sur Mac Os Lion.
Je veux le mettre à jour mais sur El Capitan mais je ne sais pas quel patch utiliser ?
Extracteur ? Pasteur ? Ou FairFax ? Wich is the best ?

fbagnato

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023
Hi All,

First post here so be gentle with me :p

I am a Windows user with some minor exposure to Macs (my daughter has a 2023 Macbook Air which I help her with sometimes).

About a week ago I bought a bulk lot of old Apple hardware.

I am intending to sell the items for reasonable prices (they are old after all).

I started up the first of the 3 iMacs that were in the lot. It ran fine.

It is a White iMac Model No. A1207 (EMC 2118) Model ID: iMac5,1 with a Radeon X1600.

I then proceeded to update the Mac OS X to the last supported version of 10.7.5 (Combo Update).

I then came across these great threads of updating to El Capitan and Yosemite OS's on Unsupported Macs.

I searched through both threads for posts relating to X1600 and read ALL of them.

After reading all of them I am in two minds whether to update the iMac to either version.

I would like to update it to El Capitan but couldn't seem to find anyone that had successfully updated a X1600 based iMac without issues afterwards.

Logic tells me that people with problems are more likely to post on the threads more so than people who had success with the update so searching the thread did not give me definitive answers to my queries.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to update my iMac X1600 based to El Capitan without leaving things not working (I understand that Graphics Acceleration is definitely not going to happen with the X1600 on El Capitan)

2) If not El Capitan, what (realistically) is the latest unsupported Mac OS X version that I could install on this X1600 based iMac, again without leaving things not working (I understand that Graphics Acceleration may not be supported with some versions)

The reason I would prefer a fully functioning iMac is that I would be selling the iMac so I want to leave the buyer a fully functioning iMac and if I can provide a newer OS than 10.7.5 then that would be great.

Thanks in advance and thanks to contributors of these threads / projects!

fbagnato

Last edited:

fbagnato

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023
Hi,
Don't know if this is the right thread... Anyway I was succesfull since last year in installing yosemite and el capitan on iMac 5.1 w/o any issue and working normally (with julian fairfax os x patcher).

The troubles started today when trying to have a behringer UMC204HD (USB audio interface with MIDI) which uses apple coreaudio (It works fine on 2015 iMac with Mojave and on the same iMac 5.1 with Snow Leopard).
Pratically the interface is recognised but just the MIDI support is present (from "MIDI Studio") while the audio part is not listed in audio preferences. I've tried also with yosemite and the results is exactly the same...

I know that "osx patcher" apply patch to "AppleHDA.kext" and "IOAudioFamily.kext" but it is not clear to me if this is the cause for coreaudio to not recognise the device or there is any other possible reason linked to the fact the SO is patched.

I remember that to have internal audio working the patch is necessary but in case I can also survive w/o it if the Behringer would work...

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!
Hello GP70,

You say you successfully installed El Capitan on an iMac 5.1.

Can you confirm that your iMac 5.1 has a Radeon X1600?

I have an iMac 5.1 with a Radeon X1600 and all the posts I have read on this thread relating to Radeon X1600 video adapters seem to describe problems successfully installing El Capitan. I am therefore a bit unsure whether to try the El Capitan update from my current OS X 10.7.5.

Thanks,

fbagnato

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Hi All,

First post here so be gentle with me :p

I am a Windows user with some minor exposure to Macs (my daughter has a 2023 Macbook Air which I help her with sometimes).

About a week ago I bought a bulk lot of old Apple hardware.

I am intending to sell the items for reasonable prices (they are old after all).

I started up the first of the 3 iMacs that were in the lot. It ran fine.

It is a White iMac Model No. A1207 (EMC 2118) Model ID: iMac5,1 with a Radeon X1600.

I then proceeded to update the Mac OS X to the last supported version of 10.7.5 (Combo Update).

I then came across these great threads of updating to El Capitan and Yosemite OS's on Unsupported Macs.

I searched through both threads for posts relating to X1600 and read ALL of them.

After reading all of them I am in two minds whether to update the iMac to either version.

I would like to update it to El Capitan but couldn't seem to find anyone that had successfully updated a X1600 based iMac without issues afterwards.

Logic tells me that people with problems are more likely to post on the threads more so than people who had success with the update so searching the thread did not give me definitive answers to my queries.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to update my iMac X1600 based to El Capitan without leaving things not working (I understand that Graphics Acceleration is definitely not going to happen with the X1600 on El Capitan)

2) If not El Capitan, what (realistically) is the latest unsupported Mac OS X version that I could install on this X1600 based iMac, again without leaving things not working (I understand that Graphics Acceleration may not be supported with some versions)

The reason I would prefer a fully functioning iMac is that I would be selling the iMac so I want to leave the buyer a fully functioning iMac and if I can provide a newer OS than 10.7.5 then that would be great.

Thanks in advance and thanks to contributors of these threads / projects!

fbagnato
Macpostfactor will allow you to do 10.8-10.10. 10.8 will still have working graphics. Personally, I’d dual boot 10.8 and Linux

fbagnato

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023
Macpostfactor will allow you to do 10.8-10.10. 10.8 will still have working graphics. Personally, I’d dual boot 10.8 and Linux
Hello Adamscomputerrepair,

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't think about a Dual Boot on the Mac but it makes sense as then Linux will be a current OS that a user can make use of even if the Mac OS is not compatible with a lot of current software.

I'll do some reading into 10.8 install. I only read through the 10.11 and 10.10 threads.

Thanks again for your input Adamscomputerrepair! :)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Personally I dislike running Linux on Macs. Too many little issues and un-Mac-like behaviour (for obvious reasons). And to be honest, my personal macOS cutoff these days for daily use machines is 10.13 High Sierra. (I keep older machines around just for fun though.)

fbagnato

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023
Hello EugW,

Thanks for your input.

I am planning to try a Linux system when I finish with the Mac OS X installation on the first of the iMacs.

I will have a play around with it and decide then whether to put Linux on the iMacs.

Unfortunately the iMac I am working on can't run 10.13 so I am stuck with older OS options.

Regards,

fbagnato

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
Hello EugW,

Thanks for your input.

I am planning to try a Linux system when I finish with the Mac OS X installation on the first of the iMacs.

I will have a play around with it and decide then whether to put Linux on the iMacs.

Unfortunately the iMac I am working on can't run 10.13 so I am stuck with older OS options.

Regards,

fbagnato
Back in the day, I triple booted my Macs. 10.8 for Mac apps, Ubuntu for Linux apps and VM stuff, and Windows 10 for anything those two couldn’t handle. It can be done and there are plenty of guides out there to do it.

fbagnato

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023
Sounds good but I don't have any spare licenses for Windows so I will be looking at Mac OS X / Linux Dual Boot setup for the iMacs.

fbagnato

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023
Well I didn't get very far.

I installed macOS Extractor v1.45 and it installed fine (I selected Customize and selected El Capitan instead of the default Sierra).

I then tried to run the AutoPatch package.

I ran it a million times, ok, less than that but it keeps ending in an error after it says "Cleaning Up"

I don't know what the problem is and would appreciate if someone can tell me what is wrong.

I have attached the Log File.

Regards,

fbagnato

Attachments

• Installer Log 14-Jul-2023.txt
    15.2 KB · Views: 62

SergueiTemp

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Seoul
After years of working with El Capitan my 2007 Mac Mini (4 gb, I installed additional stick) now refuses to boot (infinite Apple logo). When I'm trying to load anything - safe mode, recovery, diagnostics - it gives kernel panic error and Mac OS version - not set. Also I sometimes see OS X hackers logo so I assume I used patcher to install El Capitan to this Mac mini. But now it seems corrupted and I have no way to restore it to factory state. Can EFI partition somehow be restored to factory?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.