Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jendrix

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2021
Could you please help me? While installing El Capitan from pendrive I get this error, Yosemite installation was successful. IMac late 2006.

Attachments

• 0B43A6C0-6645-4AC5-B635-D911C66B487F.jpeg
    0B43A6C0-6645-4AC5-B635-D911C66B487F.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 323

Charles_Baudelaire

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
Santiago, Chile
Could you please help me? While installing El Capitan from pendrive I get this error, Yosemite installation was successful. IMac late 2006.​

Hi, as often you don't provide further information (like which patcher you've chosen). Meanwhile, it's important to know if Yosemite is still working.

You should try with a different USB drive and make sure you've used the right settings. Yes, anybody can get distracted and chose the wrong format.

You should also check if the El Capitan installer used is up to date. As you might have read, options are narrowed to OS X Patcher from RMC Team (links are all through last 3 pages) which also has a downloader script available for a fresh copy of the installer.

If you're still getting a failure, you should specially read my previous posts where installing works better from a hard drive partition than from a USB drive. Yes, it's easier just use this second option... but there are so many mishaps like yours that make the first option more reliable.

Of course, you need hard drive space for the installer partition and another one to put El Capitan (maybe 10 GB and 40 GB will do the trick, unless you'll need to transfer programs/data/preferences/settings/users). Again, not knowing if you only have Yosemite, might force me to guess you have a stable Lion or Mountain Lion partition in case of failure (like this one).

If you only had Yosemite and it's know useless... not sure if System restore will work to restore a patched booting partition. Or if you even have a System restore partition for Yosemite or if you still have the USB drive to reinstall Yosemite.

For those that will come later... please take a while to read (at least) the last 5 pages and provide more information than just your model (like partitions and hard drive size and the amount of RAM) that might be useful for easy help.

Scubaman

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Anybody else got a problem with setBoot cmd "sudo bless --folder /Volumes/OSX_Base_System --file /Volumes/OSX_Base_System/boot --setBoot"? It seems there is no file "boot" in my OS X Base System partition so I can't "bless" it...

Charles_Baudelaire

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
Santiago, Chile
Anybody else got a problem with setBoot cmd "sudo bless --folder /Volumes/OSX_Base_System --file /Volumes/OSX_Base_System/boot --setBoot"? It seems there is no file "boot" in my OS X Base System partition so I can't "bless" it...​
Hi, Scubaman!

Exactly as my previous post (read it!), you don't provide any context to ensure somebody will know the details of which Patcher and Mac model are you using.

If there's no suche information, it's really hard to help you.

Serhii Tryhubenko

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
Hello there! Please help me to install el capitan 10.11.6 to my old good macbook air 1,1 (original early 2008 model)
Im stucking on creating usb bootable device when im using macpostfactor (i got error #1)
Same with macos extractor :( when im trying to patch - it gives me an error :( probably somebody could help with an advice or video or any info please :)

Charles_Baudelaire

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
Santiago, Chile
Hello there! Please help me to install el capitan 10.11.6 to my old good macbook air 1,1 (original early 2008 model)
Im stucking on creating usb bootable device when im using macpostfactor (i got error #1)
Same with macos extractor :( when im trying to patch - it gives me an error :( probably somebody could help with an advice or video or any info please :)

Hi, there! I had shared a lot of my personal experience on successfully installing El Capitan using OS X Patcher. Take a long read from page 50 and on.

Hope it'll help.

Reactions: Serhii Tryhubenko

Serhii Tryhubenko

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020

Hi, there! I had shared a lot of my personal experience on successfully installing El Capitan using OS X Patcher. Take a long read from page 50 and on.

Hope it'll help.
Thank you! So now i have what to do :) the only thing disturbing me - is macpostfactor and macosx extractor dont work for my laptop, even when it is in a list of supported devices:( probably, im doing something wrong, but i still didnt find nobody with working capitan on MBA 1,1

Charles_Baudelaire

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
Santiago, Chile
I'm not sure, but the problem should be the Air architecture. Anyways, MPF and OS X Extractor are no longer being supported, that's why OS X Patcher it's the only one working.

Some devices on the lists aren't verified, just hypothetically considered by similarity.

You should thank the creator of OS X Patcher, he's the informatics legend.​

Serhii Tryhubenko

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
I'll try to use OS X Patcher on this weekend.
Nowadays im using linux, everything is ok, its working like a charm, but i wish to use Macosx on Mac ?
So i found interesting youtube video, where is the author succesfully installed El Capitan 10.11.6 on MBA 2,1 (late 2008 model; my one, original, is a differ machine)
His trick to install ElCapitan was to change a date on the macbook air to 01/01/2017 and OS was installed in 20 minutes, so i hope, i could try that trick with my MBA 1,1

in case of success ill write a post with a small guide
P.S. Thanks alot to everyone, because you give me a hope to use my "old friend" more few years.
And sorry for my English, i was studying it only 2 years, so thats why i could make alot of misstakes :p

Charles_Baudelaire

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
Santiago, Chile
You will not have graphics acceleration in El Capitan and thus performance will be terrible.​
Assessment of performance is quite subjective. My Macbook model 2,1 late 2006 (bought new in 2007, even using the original box to ensure screen is just up to my eye level) works just fine for current applications in use.

Certainly, for higher demands of graphic and video production, there will be a lot of slowing. In my case, everything is nice and smooth according to my perception. :cool:
I'll try to use OS X Patcher on this weekend.
Nowadays im using linux, everything is ok, its working like a charm, but i wish to use Macosx on Mac ?
So i found interesting youtube video, where is the author succesfully installed El Capitan 10.11.6 on MBA 2,1 (late 2008 model; my one, original, is a differ machine)
His trick to install ElCapitan was to change a date on the macbook air to 01/01/2017 and OS was installed in 20 minutes, so i hope, i could try that trick with my MBA 1,1

in case of success ill write a post with a small guide
P.S. Thanks alot to everyone, because you give me a hope to use my "old friend" more few years.
And sorry for my English, i was studying it only 2 years, so thats why i could make alot of misstakes I might guess your native language is russian.​
Mine is castilian (the name of the official language in Spain, which has many others... same as in China, where the official language is mandarin) and being chilean, can't speak right my own language. Nobody can, it's easy to commit mistakes... even more in a second language (mine is english). So your apologies are not required. ?

Just a little note; your Air 2,1 late 2008 can support the original El Capitan (without requiring a patch) as far as the table, in the following link, shows...

OS X compatibilities

Also with OS X Patcher changing date it's NOT required. It goes fine as it is for renewing your Aire 1,1... you just have to get a fresh copy of El Capitan original installer using another script made by the same creator of the patch.

Have a nice weekend, and follow Yoda's philosophy (hope you are familiar with Star Wars): do or do not, never try.

I'll be waiting for the details of your installation, car sharing this information is the key to help others!

isaacjames

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021
Hello, sorry for the errors in English but I thank the forum for the tips.
I have a Macbook 2.1 A1181 and running El Capitan, I will describe my steps as I encountered some difficulties along the way.

- I downloaded the El Capitan 10.11.6 version of a torrent and osx-patcher-1.1.4
- I partitioned a disk from the HD itself to be the OSX installer. I recommend being a partition larger than 8gb.
- I opened the terminal, typed "sudo" and dragged it to the "OS X Patcher.sh" terminal which is in the "osx-patcher-1.1.4" folder.
- After following the patch guidelines, I restarted with pressing opt and selected the installer.
- For some reason there was an error in the installation, I changed the date to 2016 and installed without problems.
- Restarted and put it back in the installer, opening the utilities / terminal and typing "patch".
- For some reason I was not booting, so I did what this video recommends, replace the boot.efi files, but with the boot file that was in "osx patcher 1.1.4 / resources / patch / EFI / 10.11 / boot.efi"
- Made the boot, normally, and to test I made the updates I asked for, (I knew it could go wrong after installing them), and it really went wrong and didn't boot.
- Still with the installer on a partition, I opened it again and did the process of opening the terminal again and typing "patch" and yes, it worked.

I hope I have helped those who still have difficulties to patch El Capitan.
The only problem I have noticed is when I demand more from the Macbook it logs out of nowhere, closing the programs I used and needing to re-login. (I used Yosemite on the Macbook 2.1 and a recurring problem with it was locking the black screen, which just by forcing the button off and then turning it on again to get it working again).

Attachments

• OS-X-El-Capitan-10.11.6-15G31.torrent.zip
    465.6 KB · Views: 234

wraga

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
Hi, after installation you have to reboot the computer from the installer, then Terminal and enter patch. Wait until the patch is finished and only then restart and boot from Macintsh HD. If it doesn't work, repeat the patch again. If you have already done it without patch, then macintsch hd format and install again and patch from the installer and then start the system.

Reactions: isaacjames

wraga

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
If you can't create the installer, then you have the wrong El Capitan app. You need to download it using macos dowlander master from the page I gave you and create the installer from scratch, it is best to create a 20 gb partition on the disk, and next to the second one for the system. And do what I wrote in the previous post.

brconta

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2021
The new repository of OS X Patcher:
https://gitlab.com/0403979/osx-patcher
Thanks @Wolfie#7968 on Discord.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.