Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
We lost ability to repair permissions but have integrated Emoji support.

A total and complete joke.

The apologist trying to explain that the finder and terminal are more logical things to work with disk images (vs "Disk Utility")is performing a "theatre of the absurd" set of verbal gymnastics trying to excuse the inexcusable. Not convincing anyone but fellow apologists.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'm trying to remove a partition, for some reason it took five minutes for me to select the partition I wanted to remove and that involved a mess of just random clicking everywhere in the circle... they need to do some work on this.

Reactions: grahamperrin

Shaaun

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
Its like the Disk Utility has been re designed for novice Mac users and Fusion Drives are good but they have major issues with partitions and fixing them I've always had to use Terminal or Single User mode to fix them.

Reactions: grahamperrin

Shaaun

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
We lost ability to repair permissions but have integrated Emoji support.

A total and complete joke.

The apologist trying to explain that the finder and terminal are more logical things to work with disk images (vs "Disk Utility")is performing a "theatre of the absurd" set of verbal gymnastics trying to excuse the inexcusable. Not convincing anyone but fellow apologists.

The OSX Disk Utility now in 10.11 actually does it all from 1 button but still sucks in my opinion.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

It is perfectly possible to install the Disk Utility of Yosemite. ;)
Someone put this file in the web to be downloaded via torrent.
It is much better than just complain! :D
Ed

seaw33d

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing this experience. Here's my 'bad experience' and still looking for a solution. My 1T extHDD once was good for my Mac and playing all my mp4 files on an LG flatscreen. I can edit readily my file until I upgraded my OS to El Capitan. The result, I can't edit this ext.HDD now. Can only copy. It's now good for windows use? I can fix this without erasing valuable data. Disk Utility on offers: ERASE and UNMOUNT. S.O.S. With this hard drive I didn't use the Time Machine to back it up. Would appreciate a simpler way of bringing back my Ext.HDD back to normal.

Thanks!
Josemari7

Hey, I have been having the exact same problem...I went through the rest of the thread and didn't see any answers, but I wondered if you ever found a solution?

Paulejonesy

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
It is perfectly possible to install the Disk Utility of Yosemite. ;)
Someone put this file in the web to be downloaded via torrent.
It is much better than just complain! :D
Ed
Fancy giving me a pointer? (maybe a filename + MD5?) :)

sliceoftoast

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
In a Toaster
I dislike the new one too. My Mac mini has two SSD's currently, before going back to work i decided to reinstall the operating system. When the installer booted i opened Disk Utility and went to create the RAID there was no option for this to be done and it all had to be done via the terminal!

I ended up having to boot a Yosemite installer just to partition / configure the RAID as required then boot the El Capitan installer to continue the install.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I have to wonder why so many people appear to spend so much time in Disk Utility. I'm not talking about networking pros, but normal users.

Anyone who talks about "Repair Permissions" is immediately disqualified. ;)

It's not a question of spending much time in Disk Utility. Rather the issue is that the new version is both extremely buggy and badly implemented. Because of that I cant trust it with my data. I could live with relatively minor problems such as incorrect information and not being able to see all of my drives at the same time but after discovering that it will not partition nor erase my drives reliably is the point when I refuse to use it unless Apple improves it significantly. :mad:

Disk utility in Mavericks has no problems with the drives and neither DiskWarrior nor TechTool Pro can find any issues with them so I am fairly certain problem has to be in the 10.11 Disk Utility.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
It's not a question of spending much time in Disk Utility. Rather the issue is that the new version is both extremely buggy and badly implemented. Because of that I cant trust it with my data. I could live with relatively minor problems such as incorrect information and not being able to see all of my drives at the same time but after discovering that it will not partition nor erase my drives reliably is the point when I refuse to use it unless Apple improves it significantly. :mad:

Disk utility in Mavericks has no problems with the drives and neither DiskWarrior nor TechTool Pro can find any issues with them so I am fairly certain problem has to be in the 10.11 Disk Utility.
As pointed in post #184 in this thread it is no problem to find and install the Disk Utility of Yosemite without further suffering the limitations of El Capitan's one. ;)
It is better than to hope Apple might improve it :rolleyes: what I very much doubt.
Ed

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
As pointed in post #184 in this thread it is no problem to find and install the Disk Utility of Yosemite without further suffering the limitations of El Capitan's one. ;)
It is better than to hope Apple might improve it :rolleyes: what I very much doubt.
Ed

I know.

This is one of the reasons why i got fed up with El Capitan and downgraded (as far as usability goes it is actually upgrade) to Mavericks...

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have to wonder why so many people appear to spend so much time in Disk Utility. I'm not talking about networking pros, but normal users.

Its something that some people can look at and have a cry about without needing to know much about anything, or bother spending the 5 minutes to deal with the process change to adapt. Rather, they'd just continuously troll the internet about how apple is abandoning various segments of their user base.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… continuously troll the internet about how apple is abandoning various segments of their user base.

Before and after Yosemite was released, certainly I spent much time complaining. Messes were foreseeable.

The complaining, the negativity, wasn't continuous. I began abandoning Apple products, began making positive contributions in other areas. There's to be a rewrite of Disk Manager in PC-BSD, for example.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX

I have to wonder why someone would spend so much time in a thread that obviously is about something that they do not care about. I installed the mentioned yosemite disk utility as yosemite's was MUCH better.

I think it's from from feeling threatened by people not absolutely loving everything apple does, some would buy a turd if it was in a white box with an apple on it and get upset when anyone called it a turd. "It's iexcrement!!!!!"

People that do brand worship are immediately disqualified. ;)

Reactions: beachmusic

zoomfinder

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2015
I was setting up a hardware RAID the other day and I thought I saw a two or three RAID related menu items popping up on the top of ElCap Disk Utility before I formatted the disks. I was in a hurry and I didn't stop to take a good look or examine what the function was but they are gone. Are there hidden menus in the app which have not been utilized? Or was I having a dejavu...?

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I have to wonder why someone would spend so much time in a thread that obviously is about something that they do not care about. I installed the mentioned yosemite disk utility as yosemite's was MUCH better.
I think it's from from feeling threatened by people not absolutely loving everything apple does, some would buy a turd if it was in a white box with an apple on it and get upset when anyone called it a turd. "It's iexcrement!!!!!"
People that do brand worship are immediately disqualified. ;)

Well, that entire comment was about as intelligent as the people complaining about the loss of a Repair Permissions item in Disk Utility... which is to say, not very. So if I don't experience a problem of my own doing, such as you apparently have, then I'm an Apple apologist? I'm threatened?

Apple sold millions of Macs in the last quarter alone. A few hundred (very vocal) people are complaining about Disk Utility – the rest see nothing wrong with it, nor are they having problems with it. Do you suppose that maybe, just maybe it's PEBKAC, and not Apple?

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Well, that entire comment was about as intelligent as the people complaining about the loss of a Repair Permissions item in Disk Utility... which is to say, not very. So if I don't experience a problem of my own doing, such as you apparently have, then I'm an Apple apologist? I'm threatened?

Apple sold millions of Macs in the last quarter alone. A few hundred (very vocal) people are complaining about Disk Utility – the rest see nothing wrong with it, nor are they having problems with it. Do you suppose that maybe, just maybe it's PEBKAC, and not Apple?

What a load of blather. About as intelligent as your post that it reflects. Anyone whining on a thread where people have problems claiming to know what all mac owners is experiencing is making very intelligent posts, right? It shows a load of butt hurt which sounds exactly like apple apology.

So you know what those millions of people are experiencing? You need to get over yourself. Talk about an intelligent comment thinking you somehow can read the minds of everyone that owns apple products <sarcasm>. This forum only represents a small amount and this is all you are familiar with. Such a childish response, I will ignoring you. Grow up and accept that not everyone has the same wants/needs and you couldn't possibly know what millions of people want/need. That kind of thinking is plain FUBAR.

I have been building computers and fixing them since the 80's. I think the PEBKAC is on your end, or the problem is between your school desk and chair, your schools are teaching you to be sheep and not question anything. Something for you to be very proud <sarcasm> of and something companies like apple are very happy to get.

Not suggesting that's what you're saying MacGizmo, more a general comment on something I see around here a lot.

It's clearly the case.

Seriously, someone getting upset over others preferring one version of an app over another is truly laughable. Apple also provides numbers but many, or most, other than those for personal use choose excel. I guess that is something to get upset over also. Choices, that is what it is about. I think it's obvious if you have basic knowledge then stick with the basics. THAT appears to be the point and problem, someone with basic knowledge that thinks they know what everyone needs.

Last edited:

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I haven't had to go into Disk Utility for sometime and I must say I don't like the El Cap version. Seems very dumbed down and doesn't handle some external drives well. Ran into all sorts of problems trying to format a 128GB USB Stick. I eventually gave up and used it with my Windows system.

Then I purchased a Seagate 4TB external drive to handle Time Machine backups. Once again nothing but trouble, errors deleting and creating partitions. Completely useless.

I eventually downloaded Paragon Hard Disk Manager for Mac even though it's still looks to be pre-release software. It worked perfectly and worked as reliably as the old Disk Utility.

Sometimes I think Apple has gone too far with the dumbing down of systems and software.

Of course perhaps the elegant simplicity of the new tool was beyond my ability to perceive.

Anything is possible. -- I did just finish working a double.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.