Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Have someone locally that can download it from their purchase history? You could then make a bootable USB drive with Mavericks on it. I keep a USB of each OS X.

Nikolay.Zhelev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Hi, thank you very much for your reply!

Is it safe to download it from Cnet?

Is that the complete OS or just an update?

Regards,
Nick

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi, thank you very much for your reply!

Is it safe to download it from Cnet?

Is that the complete OS or just an update?

Regards,
Nick

Neither this nor Macupdate will get you the full Mavericks installer; the Cnet link redirects to the 10.9.5 updater which updates OS X 10.9.4. You would most likely be able to get Mavericks through internet recovery, but Apple may convert that to be Yosemite too.

Reactions: TheBigearedOne

Nikolay.Zhelev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks,

Is there any way I can access Apple servers outside of App Store? I mean is there any direct link?

I'm sure apple keep their OS images somewhere :)

Regards,
Nick

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
If it was pre-installed on a computer shouldn't there be a way to create a bootable usb from an internet recovery or something?

I'm not sure how accurate this is so don't do it without confirming, but can somebody in the forum confirm if my notes from a previous Apple Care call are correct?

Shut down the computer

Hold down Command option R.

Select Reinstall Mac OS X

Then select the external hard drive.​

Will that work?

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
No, it was pre-installed on my Macbook Pro.

You can do an Internet restore and it'll go to Mavericks

----------

Neither this nor Macupdate will get you the full Mavericks installer; the Cnet link redirects to the 10.9.5 updater which updates OS X 10.9.4. You would most likely be able to get Mavericks through internet recovery, but Apple may convert that to be Yosemite too.

They won't. Internet recovery will be the version that shipped with your Mac when you got it.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
For developers, mavericks is still available in the mac dev center, as is mountain lion, leopard, yosemite and snow leopard. Unfortunately lion is no longer there and so I had to buy lion from the online apple store.

Snow leopard, lion, mountain lion can still be purchased here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106/os-x-lion

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377/os-x-mountain-lion

but afaik there is no way outside the mac dev center to get mavericks unfortunately, unless you have already redeemed a code for it in which case you can redownload it from the purchases tab in the mac app store.

I think apple should make mavericks more widely available somehow to the public, and not just to developers. But I don't know if they will put it on their online store for $0!

Nikolay.Zhelev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Hi and thanks for all replies!

Regarding the developers store, I don't want to pay for an OS, which I already paid for. The option for internet download is not very good, because there are countries whith awful internet connection and if I'm on a busdiness trip in a country of that kind and my system fails, I wouldn't be able to recover my laptop.

Anyway, I spoke with apple care representative and he mentioned that I can reinstall my os using two methods:

1. Offline via my recovery partition
2. Online ia internet recovery

Is that right or I misunderstood the situation?

If I understood correctly, since I have offline restore, does that mean I have the complete image file of my OS on my SSD?

If yes, how can I tranfer it to external storage?

Thanks for your time and I'm looking firward to hearing from you!

Last edited:

Apple06

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
So.. I'm in the same boat.

Since having Snow Leopard on a 2006 MacBook for so long I've finally picked up a late 2012 Mac Mini, came with Mavericks, after the recent Mac Mini release and Yosemeti. Not knowing that Apple would remove Mavericks once Yosemeti was released I didn't bother to "buy" a license for Mavericks.

Now that I have a Mac Mini with Mavericks, I wanted to create a USB install drive so I wouldn't have to re-download again due to the limited bandwidth I have when doing erase an install. The result is that I cannot download the Mavericks installer anymore which is disappointing. I understand that one could ask a friend who had "purchased" Mavericks already and that is likely the only way - I don't know anyone that does.

Anyways, does anyone know where the recovery downloads its files or where is temporary stored when using either Internet recovery or recovery HD? Maybe one can somehow save these files to USB somehow?

Apple is certainly isn't making this easy.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don't believe Internet Recovery ever changes: if it came with mavericks, you can restore to Mavericks.

0x100

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2014
Japan
I don't believe Internet Recovery ever changes: if it came with mavericks, you can restore to Mavericks.

That's true. Internet recovery runs your serial number and downloads the version that mac came with from the factory.

kkkrisss

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
That's true. Internet recovery runs your serial number and downloads the version that mac came with from the factory.

has anyone tried that?
Because I think that it downloads the latest version of the OS.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
has anyone tried that?
Because I think that it downloads the latest version of the OS.

That is accurate, if your Mac shipped with the latest version of OS X.
Otherwise, you should expect it installs the system that shipped with your Mac originally.

My mini shipped with Mavericks.
I have updated to Yosemite, shortly after it was released.

I booted to Internet Recovery, just now, and Apple offers to install Mavericks.

And, that's what I expect to see on Internet Recovery.
That also is supported by this Apple support article: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4718

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That is accurate, if your Mac shipped with the latest version of OS X.
Otherwise, you should expect it installs the system that shipped with your Mac originally.
The 2012 Minis are a bit of an oddity in the OS department. I have a Mini which shipped with 10.8.x after 10.9 was released but internet recovery will put 10.9.x on it.

apeychev

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
upgarde form Snow Leopard to Mavericks

Hi guys,
I have the same problem like you.I have a mid2009 macbook pro with 10.6.8(Snow Leopard) and want to install Mavericks NOT Yosemite.
So my question is, did someone managed to install Mavericks on his computer, which is not delivered with Mavericks.

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.