Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
No, i mean 1800p native resolution of 15" macbook pro right?
So it will be the same deal with a 4K iMac..not everything will work perfect on native resolution but still..

----------

An iMac can be called retina even with over 160 ppi i think, ipad has 220 ppi.

Sorry, I'm talking about my 750m on my high end 21.5" iMac.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I do a lot of video editing and photo editing as well as gaming and 3D work. And if I'm spending so much money on a 4K iMac, I want it to be able to do all of the in native res just as well as current iMacs do them now.

Not all of that relies too much on your gpu. You shouldn't experience a noticeable difference editing photos. Video varies by the package used, and in most cases leveraging the gpu isn't something that is necessary to the core toolset. There are different aspects to these things, with the first being whether the drivers can draw something to the screen as intended. The second is additional processing done to framebuffer data. The third would be leveraged use for additional computation, such as the case of either compute shaders in OpenGL/OpenGL ES and OpenCL frameworks. Your photo editing wouldn't be affected much by the latter. Video might depending on package. 3d work depends mostly on the second, although there have been attempts to write various solvers in gpu frameworks.

In spite of what I mentioned, I still understand why you would wait.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Not all of that relies too much on your gpu. You shouldn't experience a noticeable difference editing photos. Video varies by the package used, and in most cases leveraging the gpu isn't something that is necessary to the core toolset. There are different aspects to these things, with the first being whether the drivers can draw something to the screen as intended. The second is additional processing done to framebuffer data. The third would be leveraged use for additional computation, such as the case of either compute shaders in OpenGL/OpenGL ES and OpenCL frameworks. Your photo editing wouldn't be affected much by the latter. Video might depending on package. 3d work depends mostly on the second, although there have been attempts to write various solvers in gpu frameworks.

In spite of what I mentioned, I still understand why you would wait.

Autodesk Maya defiantly requires a dGPU like the 750m though. I have heard of very bad experiences with Intel's Iris Pro GPU and Maya. All I can say is that rendering is blazly fast and real time rendering through viewport is also solid. I'm sure that is is mainly GPU sided.

And what I meant in my comment you were replying to was if I had a 4K iMac, I want to be able to do all the stuff I do right now in 1080p in 4K. I.E. rendering animations in 4K (which I can't see any moble GPU being able to do as fast as my GPU does it in 1080p), 4K video editing/ transcoding/ encoding...

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Autofesk Maya defiantly requires a dGPU like the 750m though. I have heard of very bad experiences with Intel's Iris Pro GPU and Maya. All I can say is that rendering is blazly fast and real time rendering through viewport is also solid. I'm sure that is is mainly GPU sided.

Tasks like that align with the strengths of the gpu. They tend to involve highly parallel floating point calculations. That falls into territory aligned with the gpu. My comment about photo editing was that most of those applications could benefit from it, yet it's not necessarily crucial to performance. In that sense they operate in favor of smooth operation on a very wide range of hardware, regardless of if the gpu supports certain frameworks. I have not tried maya with the Iris gpu. Typically Autodesk will test available hardware when a new version of maya is on its way out, and they do list known problems.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Tasks like that align with the strengths of the gpu. They tend to involve highly parallel floating point calculations. That falls into territory aligned with the gpu. My comment about photo editing was that most of those applications could benefit from it, yet it's not necessarily crucial to performance. In that sense they operate in favor of smooth operation on a very wide range of hardware, regardless of if the gpu supports certain frameworks. I have not tried maya with the Iris gpu. Typically Autodesk will test available hardware when a new version of maya is on its way out, and they do list known problems.

The problems appear to come from the lack of VRAM. Using DDR3 shared memory appears to be slowing it down. Anyway, I felt the same way about the first line of retina MBP's. The 15" with the 650m was great but if you got the HD 4000 with a retina screen, that spells trouble.

Ps - sorry if my grammar or knowlage appears to be slight off or lacking, I'm extremely tired right now ;)

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Apple will not release a traditional macbook air. It is going to be a device that is both a macbook air and an ipad. That will enable them to shrink the device and make it even thinner. The screen will come off the keyboard. Whether it switches to IOS or not I am not sure, but it will run Yosemite. Serious innovation in this category now requires a device that can turn into 2 separate devices. The only problem that I see with this is that now instead of 1 person buying 2 separate devices, an Ipad and a Macbook, they will only be buying 1 device. How will the make up this gap in profit I am not sure. Hopefully they will not astronomically raise the price to make up this difference, and I doubt they would.

Meh. That would just be copying the Windows Surface design and not a notebook computer.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
How do you know this? It seems a strange direction to go with the overwhelming success of the Surface. :rolleyes:

It would seem that a product like this would be worse than it's individual components, the worst of the Air, the worst of the MacBook.

I think Tim Cook even said that in an interview. Combining the two just makes a subpar device where you still need to own a laptop and a tablet. I concur with that. I was a surface 3 sucker, so glad it was within a return period. It's neither laptop nor a tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.